The Primordial Glare of Pazuzu in the Eye of Death

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
First up - credits where credit is due. This is published without permission of the author, whom I believe is Adam Kadmon of Davthvs Appendix. If anyone desires this removed, it shall be done. I wish to share it though, since it sums up a lot of things more concisely than I would ever be capable of.

Second, I believe the author's native tongue would not be english, and a few subtleties of language should in no way detract from the message.

Third, anyone who thinks this text is elitist, or is just dropping in to post a headbang smiley should waste their time elsewhere. I've posted this here to stimulate a bit of interesting discussion on an uncommon topic.

There's quite a few other passages of interest I may type out later, but the main point is contained below.

Onwards...

Listening to the doomy end parts of "Sudden Combustion" on the Corpse Molestation demo '92, I get to think this is old material - not ten or a dozen years, but thousands of years - it is the primordial breath of Tiamat's demons. You just don't get vibrations like this from Diabolic or Nile - true Death Metal is alchemy, for from this filth and obscurity, these only partially controlled invocations, one can see Babylon.

Through the years this alchemy has been disturbed by the gradual "refinement" of death metal: the old bands sought to develop in some sense, but by trying to vary their formulas, they soon, one after another, infallably lost it - for this musick is a very precise science, where your calculations and laboratory experiments have to be just right - the chance for you to succeed is very small, the chance to fail are everywhere. And the more consciously you put an effort to reach it, the more certainly you fail, because the glare of Pazuzu is not recognised by the eye of rationality. But the opposite.

The never before heard, unbelievable experiments of subconscious brutality as expressed by the likes of demo-era Morbid Angel, Incubus and Necrovore had already started to fade behind by the time of the early 90's when the last pieces were flushed ashore - this also marking the change of tide, the death metal movement having exploded exponentially, it inspired thousands of clueless. And each following generation was exposed to a larger amount of death/black metal - with an ever diminishing percentage of the vital genes.

So with time, the bestial, only barely controlled chaos had developed/civilized/degenerated into a hairless creature fully aware of its own actions. Or rather: the primal, subconscious streams were now replaced by 'intellect' and 'consciousness' and even when the youthful hunger may have been there, it was melted together with influences from third generation radio-friendly mediocrity.

Mutilated from France, who were rather well known not long ago (but far from the fame they should have deserved already in the late 80's!) will serve as an example of what bestiality I;m speaking about. I never got to hear them back then which proves that my recent obsession with their demos has nothing to do with personal nostalgia (which is nothing wrong in itself) - in short, their demos still to this day possess the frenzy of the time before Death Metal had been dragged out into the light and meticulously explored, losing its aura of mystery. Still, the core was never found. The essence is not trapped.

While fine-tuning their sound and adjusting their triggers, people seemed to forget it was the filth, the obscurity, the stench of the grave that WAS the Death itself. One has to recognise the Death Metal from the death metal. It is very easy. To start with, the latter will already be crying about the unclean sound of the former.

For a more common example, Jocelyn Pook's "Masked Ball" in the film "Eyes Wide Shut" has vibrations of ancient horrors, almost magnetic in its ambience. It is the call. It is a call from the Outside, into this clean, safe, modern world - the unintelligible murmurs of "Masked Ball" don't fit into the rational mind of th emodern man. He shuns it. Or he may choose to cherish these calls... as one does through true Death Metal.

I said Babylon, but the early Sumer with its less manlike gods is more relevant - these old gods have this magnetism, being so old they seem timeless. It's like the Great Old Ones whose tentacles threaten to slither in from th eback doors of the subconscious, inciting fear all the same as reminding about one's primordial origin, before arrival of the white light gods and their unnatural temples of rationality... for in the end it is these strange, awe-filled worlds of darkness that is our home.

Few arts have plunged so deep into the bestial, and the subconscious, as this musick I am speaking about, so appropriately called Death Metal. Here, but only if it is genuine (all else is mistake), you can recognise the unblinking glare of Pazuzu. The face of Satan.

It's already out.

--

This is an interesting and valuable topic, and it sums up what I feel modern death metal is very often devoid of. Reading John DePlanchett explain in interviews how Necrovore aimed to capture a dark sense of primeval mystery makes it all the more obvious how sterile and bastardised most of today's spineless "death metal" acts are.

This also explains a large part of my hatred for retarded gore lyrics.

It's already out.

--

This is an interesting and valuable topic, and it sums up what I feel modern death metal is very often devoid of. Reading John DePlanchett explain in interviews how Necrovore aimed to capture a dark sense of primeval mystery makes it all the more obvious how sterile and bastardised most of today's spineless "death metal" acts are.

This also explains a large part of my hatred for retarded gore lyrics.

Indeed! In this very publication, Jon DePlachett is interviewed and has some fantastic things to say about it all.

"Although, I consider this as the true essence of the void of the black space emanating (ie Abyss and beyond - the source of All-naught)."

"You have to go there if you want the musick to be an evolved living entity. Each note that I allow to flow forth is an annunciation, a living characterture of an idea sustained by the power of the current. The culmination of several notes, a phrase or passage of pure intelligence reeling to spew forth. Several phrases and passages of events become the opening of a direct link. It is the most highest form of thought and the key to evolution. You have to go right to the edge and stay there, menial rationality must be broken down and destroyed in order to emerge..."

Susperia: diehard PA fans were offered the CD before public availability. It should be available from Evil Legend next week.

There is a shitload of great modern death metal; you just have to look and not be ignorant about it. Old-school elitists are just as bad as modern elitists...I like both a hell of a lot, but I wasn't around during the 80's-early 90's, so I'm 'fraid I have to plead ignorance to 'em...

I don't think there's an old school elitist in sight on this board.

You've missed the point if that's what you think this is about.

Décadent;5710085 said:

That was the authors entire point: true Death Metal.:rolleyes: He's a good writer, but come on. Music can't evolve and on the flip side, new DM/BM bands can't have an old-school sound?

There is a shitload of great modern death metal; you just have to look and not be ignorant about it. Old-school elitists are just as bad as modern elitists...I like both a hell of a lot, but I wasn't around during the 80's-early 90's, so I'm 'fraid I have to plead ignorance to 'em...

:kickass:

Awesome article, with many valid points explaining why I love the old-school bands so much. I feel emphasis needs to be put upon this paragraph, which oozes truth:

"While fine-tuning their sound and adjusting their triggers, people seemed to forget it was the filth, the obscurity, the stench of the grave that WAS the Death itself. One has to recognise the Death Metal from the death metal. It is very easy. To start with, the latter will already be crying about the unclean sound of the former."

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

That was the authors entire point: true Death Metal.:rolleyes: He's a good writer, but come on. Music can't evolve and on the flip side, new DM/BM bands can't have an old-school sound?

In that case you're both missing the point. This true Death Metal the author refers to isn't limited to analogue recordings made before 1992, and nowhere is this indicated. Indeed, the publication has articles and interviews with Drowned, Necros Christos, and even Watain and Ofermod - all modern bands with modern edges, yet they all retain the true spirit of Black and Death Metal that is in question - the ancient barbaric darkness that stems from the feeling that they're channeling a power far greater than themselves.

Décadent;5710085 said:

Elitism (n.): 2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

AKA Hammer Of Might, The Greys (at a lot of points), Malignance, etc. only enjoy old-school death metal and take pride in that over anything modern. I am pretty sure that is elitism, though it is not threatening for the most part. Anyway, I KNOW what this is about, but bullshit new Vs. old-school arguments need to get the fuck out right now. This thread is not about old-school shit being better than new-school shit; it's a hypothesis, and an interesting one, but not fact.

Anyway, yeah as I said, it's good but I HIGHLY fucking doubt that those bands back then were trying to do something musically defining or seminal or invoking ov ancient evil...sure, the atmosphere may be that way, but they didn't actually channel darkness by any means...that's just retarded and also a big part of why death metal is hated by the media and Christian conservatives (though they're faggots too).

I think the key divergence from "old school" to "new school" was the shift from the overall sound and atmosphere to the musicianship and impact on the listener. I find that newer Death Metal bands have lost the concept of music in place of the focus on song.

I think the key divergence from "old school" to "new school" was the shift from the overall sound and atmosphere to the musicianship and impact on the listener. I find that newer Death Metal bands have lost the concept of music in place of the focus on song.

Fucking A'

It doesn't matter if they were trying to do something or not, it's what happened. Bands have an initial vision and their ideas come through their notes, riffs, songs, etc; who cares about what they say gave them the idea for the album, it's all about what they create.

So where does this stand in contrast to my post.

Meaning that the newer death metal has only the musical aspects of old school death metal.....