Battle Royal of the Death Metal Scenes

Funeral Portrait said:
Unique Leader's American Bands > All

Except Psycroptic of course :)
That's so bullshit I dont know where to start. Unique Leader are just a bunch of death/grind groups who try so hard to be brutal but they all suck. Disgorge and Severed Saviour are good examples of that.

Weird thread.

I'd have to say USA, purely for the influence of bands like Suffocation, Pyrexia, Disgorge, Deeds of Flesh, Malignancy, Devourment, Dying Fetus, Morbid Angel, etc.

Well, it's a question of taste and I think that when you don't know much european bands you can't really say that it's shitty.

I think of bands like Amon Amarth and Hypocrisy (Pain) when talking about european death metal. Even Darkthrone started playing death metal.:OMG:And don't forget Vader. The best polish DM band. You already metioned Behemonth.
But in fact I like US death metal most because of bands like Morbid Angel, Cannibal corpse, Nile and Deicide. A cool band from germany playing 'USDM' is Fleshcrawl. Listen to them and you'll think they're from Florida...

Europe: Adramalech, Aeternus, Afflicted, Amorphis, Anasarca, Ancient, Ancient Rites, Asphyx, Atrocity, At the Gates, Bolt Thrower, Cadaver, Carbonized, Carnage, Cartilage, Cemetary, Cerebral Fix, Creepmime, Crematory, Darkthrone, Demigod, Demilich, Dismember, Dominus...

...and I'm only up to D, and I'm positive I've missed some.

Thx GoD. And Grimace, all bands from Quebec sound like Crytopsy? You must be deaf.
Gorguts, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Neuraxis, sound like Crytopsy?!?!?!?!?

Okay, Neuraxis does sound a little bit like Cryptopsy, but the rest... fuck no!

I could also mention Anonymous that have their own sound, but they are more of a joke band now that they are with Mononc' Serge. I never got really into them neither, but they are still pretty good.

Southern Cross is a power metal band that is pretty good actually. They still haven't released an album though. There's also Blinded By Faith that I could name, but they could be a lot better.

Finally, there's my brother's band, Deamonition ( or Tenebrion, depending if he decides to change the name ) that's gonna be in the list one day or another. They still have to decide which genre of metal to play. I will ask him to post his songs here, he has done one for each major genre ( black, death, thrash, power, and speed ) and you guys could tell which one you prefer.

AsModEe said:
And Grimace, all bands from Quebec sound like Crytopsy? You must be deaf.
Gorguts, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Neuraxis, sound like Crytopsy?!?!?!?!?

Ok, they don't all sound exactly like Cryptopsy, but they all have the same punchy, cold, over-produced-beyond-feeling-natural sort of quality that I usually only enjoy in metal-fusion bands (Spiral Architect, etc).The only reason the style works for Cryptopsy is because they're such outstandingly unique musicians.

(Really, though, you can't tell me you don't know of about 20 or 30 bands from Quebec that sound exactly like Kataklysm, who sound exactly like... that's right... Cryptopsy.)

In all honesty, this is a bit unfair for both America and Quebec since they are battling an entire continent made up of numerous countries.

Perhaps The Americas vs Europe would have made things a bit more balanced.

Let's see were comparing a continent to a country to a province.

It might be just me but it seems to be a bit skewed.

North America vs. Europe would be a better comparison.

North America then.

I separated North America into 2 because I thought that Quebec's scene was pretty different. But I don't have a prob mixing the 2. Canada also have good bands, don't get me wrong. Strapping Young Lad owns, and I've been getting into Into Eternity recently.