The Problem Of German Metal

[KOTNO]Narrot

Eats and spits corpses...
Sep 2, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
the prob is that most german metal bands play so called power metal a lá freedom call, edguy, primal fear....i hate that kind of music. newer helloween is crap too. blind guardian and gamma ray rule tho. just look at the topics here.... :rolleyes: noone speaks about cool german thrash acts...

Narrot, from germany the country of cheese metal!

hey, narrot, start a thread about cool german thrash acts (please exclude destruction :devil: *grinning ducking & running* )
I wouldn't have anything against a conversation/dicussion about - to make it short and sum up - non-powermetal bands ;)

opacity/also listening to some good so-called power metal without having a clue if this IS power metal :loco:

haha....i am not really into german thrash metal...just noticed that. all that powermetal here and there is going on my nerves. (not only the german ones rhapsody and so on are even worse).

i second that :) but there are some cool warum red ich eigentlich englisch :)
wenn ihr blackmetal mögt, solltet ihr mal bei www.orkusband.com nachgucken, ist ne gruppe aus meiner gegend, echt nicht schlecht!
wenn es um bekanntere deutsche non-power-acts geht, sieht es in t´der tat recht duster aus. totenmond ist fett, aber man sollte aufpassen, daß man die texte so versteht, wie sie gemeint sind. ansonsten kann man die mucke schnell in den falschen hals bekommen... tja, sonst gibts da noch diese komischen folklore-metalbands wie subway to sally oder in extremo, aber das muß ich auch nicht wirklich haben. also: für vorschläge bin ich dankbar :)

Kreator is indeed fantastic and consistently so. Violent Revolution is an instant classic.

I disagree about Edguy and Tobias Sammet - I think Edguy could be one of the greatest bands on the planet right now. Mandrake is just phenomenal, and Avantasia leaves me speechless.

The reason why I think Edguy are so great is because they pick up where Iron Maiden fell apart; they take over the metal duties that Helloween left behind; they bring something new to the power metal equation with their choir like choruses and anthems; and their songs contain driving melodies that makes each track quite individual. (As an opposite example, I feel that a band like Iced Earth sounds the same on almost every track, with the same Schaffer galloping riff).

Although Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray have their unique trademarks and makes them stand apart, I think Edguy can now sit alongside those giants as equals.

I also disagree with Rhapsody. If you can put up with the cheesy lyrics (which I can), then some appreciation has to go towards the symphonic orchestrations that they compose. Phenomenal stuff - they should be composing for movies alongside John Williams and Hans Zimmer etc.

I agree, however, that Primal Fear suck. They offer nothing new and should just go away IMO.

Got nothing against Power Metal - I listen to it the most - but I think there are many different kinds of Metalbands in Germany.
German Metal is not sponsored that much as in other countries.The labels of those bands are more popular I guess - maybe that's a problem

I don't see a problem here. At least not only in Germany. I fact, there are still tons of similar sounding bands coming out of....say Italy for instance. Soon the world will find another style again that will be pushed on top.

I have to say that I'm also not too fond of the bands Narrot mentioned but there are definitely bands which play a different style than those. Just look at the band list in the Welcome-thead.
I very much appreciate all kinds of bands such as BG, Angel Dust, Brainstorm, Rage, Subway to Sally, PC69, Kreator, Darkseed, Vanden Plas and so on.
Just my to cents.

Originally posted by VultureCulture
i second that :) but there are some cool warum red ich eigentlich englisch :)
wenn ihr blackmetal mögt, solltet ihr mal bei www.orkusband.com nachgucken, ist ne gruppe aus meiner gegend, echt nicht schlecht!
wenn es um bekanntere deutsche non-power-acts geht, sieht es in t´der tat recht duster aus. totenmond ist fett, aber man sollte aufpassen, daß man die texte so versteht, wie sie gemeint sind. ansonsten kann man die mucke schnell in den falschen hals bekommen... tja, sonst gibts da noch diese komischen folklore-metalbands wie subway to sally oder in extremo, aber das muß ich auch nicht wirklich haben. also: für vorschläge bin ich dankbar :)

Actually this borad should be hold in English for the none Germans speaking people at UM, there is a sub-board for German threads! Would be great if it will get used for it...

Originally posted by Morgana

Actually this borad should be hold in English for the none Germans speaking people at UM, there is a sub-board for German threads! Would be great if it will get used for it...

as it already has been said, it wasn't there when i posted the previous message. it's a good intention to keep the board in english, but i don't think the other sub-board will get much attention, since we don't want to discuss things twice, in english and german... as for me, i try to stick to english again ;)

..the problem is that most of the eyes observing the underground are mostly directed to scandinavian countries! Of course there are killer bands comin' from there ..but there are also many great bands in the german undergound ( which do not play powermetal ) ... a pity that many stay unrecognized...