The Problem Of German Metal

I posted this one on another forum too
today I bought a CD (1€ - I couldn't resist, once again :D ) from a band called "seelenwinter" - title: none, so I guess also "seelenwinter".
# on the back cover, the titles are written in english.
# in the booklet, all lyrics are written only in german (titles too)
# the songs are sung in english
:err: what's the point of printing german lyrics then??

Originally posted by [KOTNO]Narrot
the prob is that most german metal bands play so called power metal a lá freedom call, edguy, primal fear....i hate that kind of music. newer helloween is crap too. blind guardian and gamma ray rule tho. just look at the topics here.... :rolleyes: noone speaks about cool german thrash acts...

Narrot, from germany the country of cheese metal!
Don't get it!:err: :confused:
European power metal is defined as played in "the keepers..." albums of helloween. Or german power metal if you prefer. That is my oppinion. Groups like scanner etc... Have found no recognition even tho. tho they deserve some.

And you have the clones of helloween. And you nag about them. Bravo. Why don't you nag about Gamma Ray as well? They have done nothing new after Land of the Free. Re-producing their riffs.

BG is really special, as i think they are among the very few who have managed to evolve in their way of playing and composing songs. And you will find many die hards of them accusing them cause they are not "true".

And then you have groups like embargo, that play really descent metal, that noone knows them.

Carrot@:, Germany has created super groups like Sieges Even, Soul Cages, Secresy, Jester's March. Super in their art and not cheese at all. Progressive, crazy stuff. Check them out if you want something else, something completely different. You are into Nevermore dude, you have to want something different.

I wish i would live in Germany. You guys have so many burried treasures there. And you are too lazy to dig them out. :cry:

Originally posted by metalized
You guys have so many burried treasures there. And you are too lazy to dig them out. :cry:
I guess that's the case everywhere: you have good bands in your own country but you look mainly over the border. ("the prophet is not without honor save in his own country" it sounds more familiar in german language :s )

No, you are wrong. I buy almost every CD of local bands and i attend almost every of their concerts. And i love those greek bands...
...but get real! Germany has it all! Concerts, cheap CDs/LPs, if you were here you would know what i mean.

Don't provoke for something you don't know. :(

Look in hellion records, dude. Nuclear blast. Centure media. Sonderfuckingangebote.It is not my fault that you are too lazy to look for it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally posted by metalized
Look in hellion records, dude. Nuclear blast. Centure media. Sonderfuckingangebote.It is not my fault that you are too lazy to look for it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Problem is that I allready have the cheap CDs or I do not want them. ;)

@metalized:..perhaps you buy CD's of the greek metal underground..as we do buy CD's of the german underground...but the point is that 90% of the LABELS ( in all countries ) sign bands from other countries instead of paying attention to the own underground. And that's not a secret..it's fact!

Originally posted by Iceheart
@metalized:..perhaps you buy CD's of the greek metal underground..as we do buy CD's of the german underground...but the point is that 90% of the LABELS ( in all countries ) sign bands from other countries instead of paying attention to the own underground. And that's not a secret..it's fact!
Hmmm... true... But!!!
Metal is not that underground anymore. If you look Italy, which marches on the path that Germany first paved you will find Record Labels that support underground. Such label is Underground Symphony. And here in Greece even there have been some initiatives by ppl who love metal (Greek underground Metal) and do their best to promote the local bands. Like releasing 7" or CDs or EPs from the bands at their own risk. These initiatives for support of the underground are very welcomed by me and by anyone who loves metal.

But i don't think we must stick to the strictly regional issue. It doesn't mean that i have to like every Greek underground band, just because i live here. I follow the scene, i am even friend w some of the guys, but this doesn't mean that i will blindly go and buy every CD release of every Greek band. I think this is understandable. ;)

And i think that German Bands have the advantage of being in the most important country for the European and Global music industry.

Good thing is that metal is turning page, not in playing style/direction/feeling (metal will always be metal), but in getting-overground. ;) Hmmm... This might not be good for the die hards, but i can't c any wrong if lets say Soul Cages manage to sell 3*the CDs they managed to sell with their previous albums. That is as long as they maintain their quality and excellency in song writting. So many great bands have been swallowed by the underground. Really burried treasures. :cry:

barny@: Hey dude... True, but if you check how much more money i need just to get an old LP for instance and you compare it with prices there, then you would agree with me. ;) I don't mean just the new releases. The older ones are really xpensive. I think that itr is enough to say, that after a lot of discussions w my friends here we jumped to the conclusion, that if we bought all our CDs/LPs from Germany then we would have twice the CDs and LPs we currently own.

Phuuu... Sorry if i was tiring...

Originally posted by Gaunerin
I have to say that I'm also not too fond of the bands Narrot mentioned but there are definitely bands which play a different style than those. Just look at the band list in the Welcome-thead.
I very much appreciate all kinds of bands such as BG, Angel Dust, Brainstorm, Rage, Subway to Sally, PC69, Kreator, Darkseed, Vanden Plas and so on.

I whole-hearted second that, esp. .Brainstorm :p, since I'm their webmaster hehehe. It's power metal, but in the vein of Vicious Rumors, Metal Church and such.

xxx Marlies

Originally posted by opacity
I posted this one on another forum too
today I bought a CD (1€ - I couldn't resist, once again :D ) from a band called "seelenwinter" - title: none, so I guess also "seelenwinter".
# on the back cover, the titles are written in english.
# in the booklet, all lyrics are written only in german (titles too)
# the songs are sung in english
:err: what's the point of printing german lyrics then??

very interesting:lol: :)

Originally posted by Eye Of The Observer
Hi, my english is very shitty so sorry:D
All i want to say is

http://www.blackend.de/

Young German Thrash band (I think they are 24 years old) and Back on buisness (And buisness is good).
They have recorded their first rcord with the age of 17 and are more or less popular:D
Sounds? any mp3s or something?

one thing you folks have in Europe that we don't have here in the states is a thriving power metal scene. and it seems that cds stay in a company's catalogue far longer in europe than here.

Angra, Edguy, Vanden Plas, Mob Rules, all these and more at least are available to you to see in concert, but over here they rarely tour, if ever, and then mostly only in isolated instances, like ProgPower, or only in the major east coast cities.

I got Vanden Plas - Colour Temple (some special edition which also includes AcCult) the other day and saw that in 96 or so, they toured with Angra in Europe! that must have been a tour to remember.

so remember, things can always be worse! :cool:

Originally posted by Eye Of The Observer
sure, here in Europe is a huge power metal Scene but I´m a Thrasher and Thrash bands are rare in Germany. (I mean thrash not something with Death Metal Growls)

You mean german thrash bands are rare these days (true!) or did you mean thrash bands hardly tour here in Europe? Cause that's not true, any band touring outside of the States will tour Germany in any case, but thrash is just not as popular lately. But let's not complain, we are really spoiled, we get to see basically every band we ever want to see!:headbang:
Only band I still die to see is Eidolon.. I saw them at Bang Your Head but I would love to see the band tour here so badly!! But Trengert (Metal Blade) says they don't sell enough and it's expensive to get a Canadian band over :cry: How do smaller bands on smaller labels (like the mighty Into Eternity) do that then?? And how can a band sell if no one ever sees them live and you're not a commercial band? Argh.. politics..

Anyway.. luckily there are some german thrashbands, Delirious RULE and it's good to see Blackend's back in business. If you have any more tips for me, please let me know! If you mail me directly you can write in german btw:)
Here in Holland there are some cool old-school thrash bands too, my favorites are Flesh Made Sin and Outburst!

THRRRRAAAAAAAAAAASSSHHH!! :D
xxx Marlies

PS Oh, btw.. part of my husbands Bang Your Head pics are online (see link in the signature)! Rest will follow this week! And Wacken soon too!