the proper use of keyboards

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
keyboards are a touchy subject, i know...

but how should a band best use them? background? melody? do you think they need to be in the entire song to work? or used sparingly for special accent
~gR~

At first I thought you meant computer keyboards.

Opinions will vary with taste, but I can tell you what I like and dislike in metal. I dislike keyboards solos. I dislike the addition of any of that twinkly crap as a song background or part of the song. That is the worst thing ever. I think I pretty much dislike keys doing things that a guitar would normally do. I like keys more to add atmosphere or mood to music. Maybe more of a rising/falling/sweeping role in a song. I would say that if a band decides to use keys they should not feel obligated to write them into every song. Use them only where effective.

These are general preferences, but I think that a good songwriter could use keys in many different ways effectively.

I usually prefer keyboards to be used solely for atmosphere but there are a few albums where keyboards play a necessarily large role.

These come to mind...

Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Kataxu - Roots Thunder
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Covenant - In Times Before the Light
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Summoning - Nightshade Forests

Funny, I was going to come in here saying something like "there are no concrete rules for how to properly incorporate keyboards into metal music. Take bands like Black Sabbath, White Spirit, Nocturnus, Emperor, and Burzum. They all approached keyboards in a different way, some even pushing it to the foreground. Basically the only declarative no-no is doing something like Children of Bodom."

i agree there arent definite rules, just starting a discussion.

i'm also trying to answer a personal question with this. keys the entire song, or is it aceptable to use in parts of a song? it feels kind of akward just introducing some random instrument in a chorus and then having it go away again. but i guess its all in the approach...
~gR~

I think it's pretty obvious that whatever you do should serve the song. Keys for part of the song? Heck yes, if that works. Maybe there could be keys during the verses, or the chorus, or the bridge, or whatever part. They could show up every time you enter a given passage, or only show up for some of them to create a growing or diminishing feeling. There really are no rules, except make good songs. Any other attempt at following a formula or outline will result in forced arrangements which are not the product of artistic inspiration, but that of forcing your musical personality into a muffin tin.

yeah? what about it?

btw, great album, though the movie its based on isnt as great as the band says it is
~gR~

Yeah I don't mind keys in metal. I mainly prefer background atmospheric keys and maybe a few melodies here and there as long as they don't overpower the rest of the music.

Funny, I was going to come in here saying something like "there are no concrete rules for how to properly incorporate keyboards into metal music. Take bands like Black Sabbath, White Spirit, Nocturnus, Emperor, and Burzum. They all approached keyboards in a different way, some even pushing it to the foreground. Basically the only declarative no-no is doing something like Children of Bodom."

id like to say thank you captain obvious but sadly it was actually necessary to say this

I love keys, but like any instrument or element you have to know what to leave out as well as put in. I think Equilibrium is a good example of overdoing keys, I think they try too hard for the epic sound it can contribute to a song.

However I think bands like Windir and Emperor achieve that epic sound keys can produce, bands like Burzum and Summoning use them effectively to create ambiance, and bands like Kiuas, (flames inc.) Sonata Arctica and Bodom incorporate a more virtuosic style of keys that I for one appreciate.

So many possibilities!