The REAPER appreciation thread!

I Love Reaper! Its very versatile on how I can set it up! It would really be the sh!t if it had an audio editor. I only want this because I came from Adobe Audition that has a "built in" audio editor that I still use today.

what built in plugins in reaper do you find yourself using? i stilll havent decided if i like them. there are some really bad ones.. like the distortionand stuff. but reafir in nice

So, has anybody checked out the Drum Reaplacer JS? I'm about to be working on my friend's band in the next month or so, and we'll need to use it due to severe lack of good (or even decent) recording equipment? We're simply recording it for a demo disk to hand out at shows, they'll get more professional tracking done somewhere else later.

It isn't bad for being free. Has multi-sample support thought you have to have each sample in the same .wav file, it won't read .gog or anything. Much too much latency for live triggering but it works well in mixing.

It isn't bad for being free. Has multi-sample support thought you have to have each sample in the same .wav file, it won't read .gog or anything. Much too much latency for live triggering but it works well in mixing.

I've heard it doesn't work that well in recent versions of Reaper, as it hasn't been updated. If that true in your experience?

JonWormwood: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462

what built in plugins in reaper do you find yourself using? i stilll havent decided if i like them. there are some really bad ones.. like the distortionand stuff. but reafir in nice

There are so many JS effects but to don't bother with them too often other than for the tone generator or some of the meters.

reaEQ, ReaComp (for ducking mostly), ReaGate, ReaDelay, reainsert get used a lot.

ReaXcomp and ReaFIR are too complicated for me

+1 for reacomp for ducking, I don't really like it compared to 3rd party colored compressors, but it's very very easy to set up to duck the bass and works pretty well.

@JohnWormwood, how do you dock 2 toolbars in the top area of the screen ? I'd like to dock my colors toolbars but I haven't found how to do that ?

open the toolbar in the toolbar-docker, then hold ctrl and pull the tab to the location you want. (you have to open at least 2 toolbars in the docker to make this work if i remember correctly)

cheers!

I'm spending a little time getting a bit deeper into Reaper, re-reading things to organize it a bit better (I just discovered the mouse modifiers btw, slip editing with the mouse only is a pure win). I was re-organizing my plugin folders and I thought of something that would be cool, and I'm not sure if there is a way or not to do it. Before I suggest it in the reaper forum, can you tell me if there is a way to do it ?

Please note I'm using the Reamenus 4.03 (better organized menus) so it might differ from the normal ones.

So basically, when you have organized your plugins in folders, instead of hitting the insert line to open the FX Browser, you can do right clic and then add FX this way by browsing your folders, in my menus it looks like this :

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202012-02-20%20%C3%A0%2015.31.22%202.jpg

Problem imo is that having to go that far into the menus to reach the plugins is a waste of time, by that time I can left clic the insert line, type the name of the plug to filter the list, hit enter, done (i've been doing that for years). Here you need to :
-right click
-go to Quick FX which is something like a 200 pixels move
- go to the right of the meny which is a 3 or 400 pixels move, and you can slip out of it as well
before you get to your menu

I realized that if you maintain left clic, nothing happens.

My idea would be that if you maintain the left clic instead of clicking, it would immediately open the menu right from your folders, just like it is probably in other DAWs. It would be way simpler imo. What do you think, is there a way to do it with the almost infinite possibilities of reaper or does this need to be hardcoded ? Would you find it useful ?

JonWormwood said:
Details on this?

Search for the thread here about drumreaplacer or the official thread in the Reaper forums. I use it all the time, it's my only drum replacing software since I don't have any cash for drumagog or trigger or whatever. Yes, it supports multisamples and matches the hits to the most similar hits depending on the velocity

Repeating the link in case it got scrolled past..
JonWormwood: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462

Just reinstalled it (Reaper got deleted by my sister.. Luckily I haven't paid for it yet nor am I doing anything paid that I had to worry about loosing). Messing with the controls and figuring out how to use things. I'll be making some multisamples (to be incredibly accurate, the snare sample alone will have like 56 hits. Overkill?) and testing it out on a rock drum track soon.

Anyone got a way to make a MIDI drum track on REAPER without an extra program? I've been using GP5 and sending individual tracks to WAV (1/8th" connector cable from headphone jack to mic jack :p) and loading those up as a trigger track. But it would be nicer to do it in my DAW. Or do I need a MIDI keyboard for that to work?

This^ if I'm on the grid, I make a time selection and shift-insert (custom action) for a new midi file and work for that section alone.

I'm very blown away it can use multi samples!

And Resamplematic5000 can be triggered by midi. I'm not by my comp but it's the same platform that drum replacer was created from correct?

Alright, thanks for the help, guys! I'll check it out next time I'm on my comp. That sucks though, that I basically have to keep programming triggers on Guitar Pro 5 =/ Oh well, gives me practice :rofl:

I'd use ReaSamplomatic5000 but it's not multi compatible, and like I said I'm gonna have like a 50 hit selection for snare.

Now, while going through the JS plugins, I found some interesting things (ring modulator, ozzy-fier which is a cool phasing chorus effect, etc.) and one of them was called Trigger. I can't remember the exact name and I didn't get around to looking at it. Would that be something that would be useful in replacing drums?