The REAPER appreciation thread!

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
My band has been using reaper for nearly 2 years live, not one single hiccup live. It has been great. I just purchase it in November and paired with my new Macbook Pro it has been absolutely stellar.

I wouldn't go back to cubase at this point. :worship:

Who's with me on this?

Bought it in summer 09, great daw. Not a big fan of the newest look but nothing a theme change cant fix.

No single bug since I got a reaper 2 version a few years ago.

I hate the GUI of the last version. If only it could look as good as protools 10, it would be perfect.

LeSedna: One of the biggest news of V4 was total GUI flexibility, just browse through the available themes and I'm sure you'll find some that will suit you.

I've been a Reaper for a few years already and although I'm not a studio owner, I record my band and like to experiment with making music. And I love Reaper, so much better than Cubase in my opinion.

I've tried a couple other DAW's, but I always come back to REAPER. I love it too much. My driver (I think) causes it to crash sometimes, which is hair-pullingly maddening though.

LeSedna: One of the biggest news of V4 was total GUI flexibility, just browse through the available themes and I'm sure you'll find some that will suit you.

I've been a Reaper for a few years already and although I'm not a studio owner, I record my band and like to experiment with making music. And I love Reaper, so much better than Cubase in my opinion.

Yeah I know, although I stick to the "easy on the eyes - darker grid" theme, I'm so used to it and it's really easy to read for my tastes.

I have, I just didn't find any enhanced theme that suits me, 95% of them are strange or original but not really practical. I'll give it another go, it's been months since last time I tried to find a good one.

Never tried any real DAWs other than Reaper. (Came from shit like Audacity and Cool Edit Pro) and heard so much good stuff about Reaper.....

I've witnessed our bassist go through so many crashes and problems in PT9 that I don't think I'll ever want to go that route....though it may just be some setup error on his part. Still, I can have shit tons of edits/crossfades in Reaper and it will run smooth as butter, where he'll crash on PT9 with too many edits/fades. Plus it seems like the amount of stock plugins that come with Reaper just blows PT out of the water, maybe I'm wrong though.

Ashamed to admit, but I will admit - I still haven't purchased a Reaper license yet. =/ The amount I really use it, and the fact that I haven't made a single penny off it, holds me back a bit. But, I figure, I have used it for a few years now, and it's made my mixing skills like 50X better. May as well drop the $60 or so. :)

Reaper user here.

I have sonar PE7 that I only use occasionally for the stock soft synths (strings and such like). I like reaper much more. I used to use SX3, so I'm out of date on cubase but I'll take reaper over that too (but its closer there).

REAPER is great. I find the themes by Nick Moritz to be the most professional looking.

Here's my personal favorite, though there's no volume or pan controls on the TCP. This, of course, can be changed by digging in the code, or using one of the mods that other users posted in the thread. ReaBORN : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92215

Another by Nick Moritz is RADO. It's a darker theme and really easy on the eyes. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74685

Now that I think of it, any of you guys think the reacomp sucks ? I dont know if it's because of its GUI that makes my workflow use it a dumb way, but I hate anything I get from it. Not that I need it when I have ssl/1176/la2a, but still.

By the way, I don't know why they stick to a generic UI for their main plugins, I would gladly pay to have a GUI ala stillwell for them. It would also help make it less ugly overall. Btw, there is Event Horizon in the JS plugins. It's only missing a few things compared to the one you can buy on stillwell's store.

Any of you use the matrix intensively ? I think it's powerful but in a mix situation I never use it ?

Oh and, one of the most awesome things in reaper is that a track is a track, period. Then you deal with the information that goes through it wether it is midi or audio or even both at the same time, but that flexibility makes it so simple.

That RADO theme seems beautiful. Exactly what I'm after, I'll try it when I have time (on phone ATM)