The religious thread worked...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I tried to read at least some of each and every reply to the thread. Do I have balls to bring up such a subject ? I have resolve, not balls. That thread became quite emotional, but not heated. All who were involved in this post gave their opinion but did not sink to making those of other opinions feel bad. On any other forum as active as this, insults would have been thrown around. That is not the case with UMOS.
I feel that we are a family of sorts and the religion thread proved that. In fact, when I made my original post, I wasn't true to my personal beliefs. I simply created a belief practically in between someone who is religious and agnostic, therefore "spiritual." My intent was to show just how much we are united as "friends" and how much we respect each other.

Bryant

sixxswine said:
I have to agree with Bryant, this didn't get as ugly as I thought it would get.

Ditto here, nevertheless I stay by my last post suggesting to avoid such subjects in the future.

Religion, politics and sports usually heta the discussion way over music, sex and movies in my experience (unless you are of course in some tr00 kult forum :Smug: )

Wyvern said:
Ditto here, nevertheless I stay by my last post suggesting to avoid such subjects in the future.

I second that motion. I was pleasantly surprised at the civility of everyone in our group. That's an envolope you don't want to push however. We don't want to lose anyone because of hurt feelings on a sensitive subject (and religion is probably the most sensitive of all). We may be evil anger-filled metalheads, but that thread proves we're all good people!

I suppose that any freshly arrived newbies can see that kind of atmosphere in this community by reading past topics and arguments. The average age on this board helps as well, I think... ;) Especially that the core of this board consists of oldtimers mostly.. :D
There may not be always straight metal talks here, but I don't mind that much, there's a good spirit going on here.

Griffin- said:
Is it weird to think things like religion should be able to be discussed about when everyone behaves normally?

Normality is a relative conception. What is normal for you is not necessarily for me and viceversa. Ergo by avoiding pushing the nevelope as TSO mentioned you also avoid a possible confrontation, call it preventive maintenance :D

Wyvern

I hear your request for a ban on religious and political subject. But I am not even considering it. I think this group is reasonable enough to take on these subjects and I can act if things go wrong.

As long as the arguments are explained and people are not just making empty claims its all good.

Let me explain what I mean.

There is a difference in saying:

1) "I think that xxx is true because of xxx and xxx and thats why I think xxx is true."

And saying:

2) "You are wrong because xxx is true"

without any form of arguments or explanation.

The first is an argument and the second is just an empty claim without any form of explanation or substance. What is *essential* is that people in treads like these, show each other enough respect to give at least some form of explanation for their views.

IOW they should take the time and trouble to show to the others in the tread *why* they think like they think.

Anyone who would answer:

"You are wrong because:

You are stupid
I don't agree with you
You are quoting a lunatic
And I hate all religion and politics"

Has not made an argument and has not taken the time or effort, nor showed any form of respect to others to explain his views. I would simply consider such a message as flame baiting. IE posting insults that could start a flamewar. That may not be the explicit intention of the poster but it is the effect for sure.

One of the unique aspects of this forum is that *most of the people know how to argue*. They really know how to make a good argument. And when you take the time to make a good solid argument it will come over as respectful to the others on the tread as well, even if they don't agree with you.

Thats why I wrote in the sticky:

---------------------------

"2) No hit and run comments!

This means that you do not enter a tread about a band and only say;

"They suck".

This is simply not tolerated! If you dislike a band or album, explain in a reasonable tone *why* you dislike them. Give reasons! Argue, and discuss."

---------------------------

The above does not only apply to music it, of course, also applies very much to the discussion of politics and religion.

One more thing, it is really, really important to understand that the above is essential to the smooth runnings of this forum *when it comes to serious subjects*. And therefore its no laughing matter or something to be taken lightly.

It is this very attitude that kept this forum going before I became a member and hopefully it will be the engine that keeps it going when I am gone.

:wave:

I love this forum. I love the people in this forum. This is the only forum where i can just go into talk metal or whatever else and be myself, and avoid flaming. Hell, i can just spill my guts and talk about my personal life and i feel comfortible about it. THAT'S a rarity.

Wyvern said:
Normality is a relative conception. What is normal for you is not necessarily for me and viceversa. Ergo by avoiding pushing the nevelope as TSO mentioned you also avoid a possible confrontation, call it preventive maintenance :D
If people can't maintain a normal discussion without swearing or offending one another, then it's just pathetic :confused: so it's good topics like that aren't banned!

Hawk said:
Wyvern

I hear your request for a ban on religious and political subject. But I am not even considering it. I think this group is reasonable enough to take on these subjects and I can act if things go wrong.

We are all old enough not saying Pysically but Mentally to handle that kind of subject matter ... Granted I might not have the same Ideals as my good friend TEDVANFUCKINFREHLEY ... but I'm not going to give him shit for it EVER never ever would I do something like that .. if ya aint got something nice to say Shut the Fuck Up! :) ... anyways We are all one with the universe and the universe is one with us so anything we say is really insignificant so we might as well be civil and treat each other with respect ... on this board we have always tried to Maintain a certain level of respect and have always demanded it .. if you think your going to come in here and behave like a peice of shit (Exp. Jonny2k or Luminous Aether remember them?) your ass will be bounced out of here if Hawk doesnt ms.anthrope will and vice versa ...and for the record I take this board to seriously. ppl always like to bring that up .. nothing like pointing out the obvisous(sp) huh? ... shit... sorry bout the rant what was the topic?

Wicked Child said:
I love this forum. I love the people in this forum. This is the only forum where i can just go into talk metal or whatever else and be myself, and avoid flaming. Hell, i can just spill my guts and talk about my personal life and i feel comfortible about it. THAT'S a rarity.

Thats what I meant to say!

Hawk said:
Wyvern

I'm not sure Wyv was actually calling for a 'ban' on the subject, Hawk. I know I certainly wasn't! I just think really sensitive subject should be avoided in general or at least kept to a bare minimum...and when I say avoided, I mean by the people, a concerted cooperative effort for the better good of the community (like ignoring trolls long enough for a moderator to come in and wipe their shit-stains from our screens).

I don't agree with government (or Hawk in this case) coming in and saying we CAN'T discuss sensitive subjects. I think the people should decide that for themselves, should they so choose.

So I'm with Hawk, and Wyvern. These sensitive subjects should be avoided as much as possible, but they certainly shouldn't be banned.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I don't agree with government (or Hawk in this case) coming in and saying we CAN'T discuss sensitive subjects. I think the people should decide that for themselves, should they so choose.

I would never do that buddy. I hate intrusive government, thats exactly why I would never ban these subjects. Like I said; I think that most of those who come here know how to behave. Its not exactly rocket science now is it? :)

yeah, you guys should be proud of the friendly place youve created here, good people, friendly posts, i really like it here.....just thought i'd congratulate you guys on creating an excellent forum! :wave:

Being pretty new around here I stayed out of that thread. I figured it might get ugly, but it didn't. This really is a great forum and I am glad to be a part of it. Rock on my metal brothers and sisters! :headbang:

Griffin- said:
If people can't maintain a normal discussion without swearing or offending one another, then it's just pathetic :confused:

Oh, you have been to Metal-Rules forum already? :devil:

Hawk said:
Its not exactly rocket science now is it? :)

No I wasn't asking for a ban. I was giving a recommendation based on previous experiences (and Grif knows where I was referring to). As any recommendation it can be accepted and used, accepted and dismissed, not accepted :D

And considering certain posters here, I will say IT IS rocket science for them :devil:

Griffin- said:
If people can't maintain a normal discussion without swearing or offending one another, then it's just pathetic :confused:

Wyvern said:
Oh, you have been to Metal-Rules forum already?

Mmm I wonder why you bring this up? How is the Metal-Rules forum even remotely like the UMOS forum? Besides the fact that they are both metal forums they are simply not comparable. I don't understand. The subject we were discussing was the quality of the messages here on UMOS. It was within *that* context that Griffin was making her observation. It seems like you are dropping the context of this discussion.

From were I stand you can't even begin to compare the posters of both forums. The level of posting on this forum is completely different from most other forums as say almost all of the new and old posters here. So I am really puzzled by your remark. I simply can not place it.

Wyvern said:
And considering certain posters here, I will say IT IS rocket science for them :devil:

I would love to get some clarity on this. Who do you mean? Or am I supposed to guess who you are referring to? I am not a mindreader you know ;)

Please understand that I am not baiting you, I really want to know. Because last time I corrected someone you told me not to take it that seriously.
I would love to see you name the people you are talking about.

The post was to do more than show how "mature" this forum is, it was also to spark some interest. Unfortunately for me, I became very busy shortly after making so I wasn't involved as much in it as I would have liked to have been.
This is a metal music forum and I feel ther majority of posts should reflect what the forum is centered around, namely oldschool metal, but I've been here for a long time. As large of an area "oldschool metal" covers, I find myself less inspired as I used to be here. Posting an occasional (and I stress occasional) off-topic post can add a little diversity in here.

Bryant