The Results Are IN! The Top 100 Bands of UltimateMetal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napalm Death just scraped in at 99, eh? Good to see Carcass in there too... surprised Black Sabbath didn't place higher though... are they no longer as influential as they used to be, or is it just that Ozzy's over-exposure has made everyone tire of him a bit? (Obviously I'm not counting the incarnations of BS with the other vocalists)

I AM a biut surprised to see Cradle of Filth on the list at all. Personally, I love them, and prolly woulda been on my list if I voted:p, but I thought they were as despised around here as new Metallica:p

I AM a biut surprised to see Cradle of Filth on the list at all. Personally, I love them, and prolly woulda been on my list if I voted:p, but I thought they were as despised around here as new Metallica:p

I think the only reason Cradle of Filth has lost so many fans is because of their pretty recent record-deal with Epic. I guess a lot of previous cradle-enthusiasts had somehow thought they sold out even though they STILL MAKE THE EXACT SAME MUSIC TODAY! Consider the fact that "Damnation and a Day" is probably the heaviest album they've ever done.

Life Sucks said:
I knew that Opeth and Iron Maiden would both come in the top three. I'm surprised how many power metal bands are in the top 100, as lots of people (myself included) seem to dislike that genre.

I actually promoted the top 100 thing in many different band and event forums on Ultimate Metal because I knew it wouldn't have gotten as many replies as it did if it was just left in this forum and people in the other UM forums didnt know about it. I believe the ProgPower forum was one of the forums I posted in so thats where alot of the power votes comes from.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
I think the only reason Cradle of Filth has lost so many fans is because of their pretty recent record-deal with Epic. I guess a lot of previous cradle-enthusiasts had somehow thought they sold out even though they STILL MAKE THE EXACT SAME MUSIC TODAY! Consider the fact that "Damnation and a Day" is probably the heaviest album they've ever done.

I find it funny that Cradle's major label debut is the closest thing to black metal they've written since Vempire:p

Yes, I like Cradle of Filth. And I don't COMPLETELY hate St. Anger. I guess I'm not metal enough for these people:loco:

I find it funny that Cradle's major label debut is the closest thing to black metal they've written since Vempire:p

Yes, I like Cradle of Filth. And I don't COMPLETELY hate St. Anger. I guess I'm not metal enough for these people

I had a lot of mixed feelings about St. Anger as well, so no, you're not the only one. Overall I feel it's a bad album, but for some reason, I'm still hoping it grows on me.

Shell Shock said:
Say what you want about their recent stuff, but the shit they made in the 80s was very very good.

They're up there because of people like myself who rate them no.1 on their lists. I didn't vote, no, but I would've put them up there without a shred of doubt - yes, they stopped making metal in '96 - arguably in '91, and yet they deserve to be up there for their past success.

Besides, it's all opinions of fans that visit these forums. I wouldn't say that Opeth is the best metal band ever - but we've got tons of their fans around.. Doesn't make it any less legitimate.

I agree on In Flames - No.3? No way! :).
Yes 80's mettalica was decent but it's not all that, pther 80's bands kick their ass and are sill good ti'll now so, I don't get why their all the way up there. Mercyful Fate kicks their ass big time.

Anywho, I'm happy that about half my bands are up there, such as Exodus, Testament, Angra, Slayer and Helloween

DiscipleOfPlato said:
I had a lot of mixed feelings about St. Anger as well, so no, you're not the only one. Overall I feel it's a bad album, but for some reason, I'm still hoping it grows on me.

Overall, though the production is complete shit, the lyrics are juvenile, and the arrangements leave a LOT to be desired, I still like a lot of the riffage on the album. A lot of the actual riffs, if not the way they are arranged in the song, do remind me of vintage Metallica. I also think I can tolerate it sheerly for sentimental reasons, as well. One song I actually LIKE on the album is All Within My Hands. don't know why, just do. There's one point at the end of the chorus where Hetfield does a vocal trick I've always enjoyed, where you have two or more vocal tracks that sing a note, and one track holds the note while the others go down a step, then another step, and so on. Phil Anselmo uses it occasionally, and I think James pulled it off pretty well.

Sad that that is the highlight of the album:p

metalicarus88 said:
yes, it's incredible, why?, bands like TestAment own their ass!
glory not deserved.

Obviously not in the minds of the majority of voters in this little poll thingy.

TestAment and Opeth: equal in my book. can't choose one over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.