"The Ring" Movie

Anyone know that this movie is a re-make of a Japanese horror series? The Japanese version kicks ass. Don't get me wrong, the American Dreamworks version was great, but nothing is more scary than a Japanese ghost story! I used to have nightmares as a kid when when living abroad...

There are 4 DVDs of the Ringu series: Ringu, Rasen, Ringu 2, Ringu 0 (aka Basudei = Birthday). If you are an avid collector of horror/Asia Extreme, I recommend these!

Testament Legions said:
Anyone know that this movie is a re-make of a Japanese horror series? The Japanese version kicks ass. Don't get me wrong, the American Dreamworks version was great, but nothing is more scary than a Japanese ghost story! I used to have nightmares as a kid when when living abroad...

There are 4 DVDs of the Ringu series: Ringu, Rasen, Ringu 2, Ringu 0 (aka Basudei = Birthday). If you are an avid collector of horror/Asia Extreme, I recommend these!

You're craaazy! I downloaded Ringu and thought it was lame compared to the remake. I dunno, it just lacked atmosphere, just a low budget movie passing by in the background. Nothing seemed scary to me.

Mattias of the Night said:
You're craaazy! I downloaded Ringu and thought it was lame compared to the remake. I dunno, it just lacked atmosphere, just a low budget movie passing by in the background. Nothing seemed scary to me.
Granted, it wasn't as "polished," but to me it was more creepy. I grew up watching Japanese ghost stories. "Sadako" is way more frightening than little "Samara."

Testament Legions said:

I finally saw the American version over the weekend. It was pretty good. Now I want to see the Japanese versions. Everyone tells me they're better.

i havent seen the jap version, but the american version scared the shit outta me. maybe watching it at 2:30am w/ all the lights out added to the atmosphere a little bit

Everything that was good about the original was lost in the lame remake. The atmosphere, the tension, the unease.... The video itself in the remake sucked.... trust the Americans to take something that was absolutely perfect, add some tits and make it a lot worse with crap about horses, and that god awful bit where that tv 'pushes' the blonde bint down the well. lol! 'Samara' just was NOT frightening. Sadako's eye is about the most frightening thing in any horror film ever - the use of sound and lighting to convey the horror of this girls eye (hard to describe) is incredible.... then comes the US version which slaps some resident evil zombie make-up on her and over simplifies it. Anyone that prefers the remake is simply... 'stoopid' :D

Too funny! I bought The Ring last night. I'm going to sit down and watch it tonight. TL, remember when you were younger and everything seemed scarier? I remember going to the theatre and watching this movie called SSSSSSSSSS, where this guy turned into a snake? Scared the crap outta me and I had to hold my feet up on the seat so the guy couldn't slither down the aisle under my seat and bite me. LOL

i am a HUGE "ring" enthusiast and may i say, "the ring" is just "ring" but without any originality!!! they took a great film (one of the best films ever!!!!) and turned it into just another teen flick. to people who havent seen the original first , they would not respect what i am saying, but the music , the direction, the look, the camerawork and everything else is absoloutely EXCELLENT ! ! ! "the ring " was not as bad for the first 20 mins, but the video they watch is the biggest pile of shit, and any time a clue is solved it relates back to the video so people dont have to think. My main beef with it is that it is completely not needed!!!! they sould have just re - released "ring" or "ringu" into the cinema, so that everyone could see a beautifull and inspiring film.

I liked both Films, I saw the Jap verison a while back before it was released here in the US. I have an All-Region dvd player and got it as an import. The Jap version is very freaky but I like the US release as well. I'm not a big subtitle fan so I'm partial to the USA release.

Macabre_Transmigrant said:
oh, dint realise that was you steve. lol.

spete.
lol

look nath we utterly agree to the point that its scary :)

me -
Neurotomania said:
Everything that was good about the original was lost in the lame remake. The atmosphere, the tension, the unease.... The video itself in the remake sucked.... trust the Americans to take something that was absolutely perfect, add some tits and make it a lot worse with crap about horses, and that god awful bit where that tv 'pushes' the blonde bint down the well. lol! 'Samara' just was NOT frightening. Sadako's eye is about the most frightening thing in any horror film ever - the use of sound and lighting to convey the horror of this girls eye (hard to describe) is incredible.... then comes the US version which slaps some resident evil zombie make-up on her and over simplifies it. Anyone that prefers the remake is simply... 'stoopid'

you -
i am a HUGE "ring" enthusiast and may i say, "the ring" is just "ring" but without any originality!!! they took a great film (one of the best films ever!!!!) and turned it into just another teen flick. to people who havent seen the original first , they would not respect what i am saying, but the music , the direction, the look, the camerawork and everything else is absoloutely EXCELLENT ! ! ! "the ring " was not as bad for the first 20 mins, but the video they watch is the biggest pile of shit, and any time a clue is solved it relates back to the video so people dont have to think. My main beef with it is that it is completely not needed!!!! they sould have just re - released "ring" or "ringu" into the cinema, so that everyone could see a beautifull and inspiring film.

thats scary.

woo I got dvd quality ring on my pc now.... must buy the actual dvd when I get paid.

I think that guy from Alias plays noah

seriously who would you rather be, NOAH the bent video repair man or RYUJI the kickass psychic who is probably a ninja

thats it I'm starting a poll

Neurotomania said:
I think that guy from Alias plays noah

seriously who would you rather be, NOAH the bent video repair man or RYUJI the kickass psychic who is probably a ninja

The actor who played "Ryuji" also played ninjas in the 70-80's with Sonny Chiba. I've seen some of those movies as well :D. He went by "Henry Sanada" back in the day.

but the video they watch is the biggest pile of shit, and any time a clue is solved it relates back to the video so people dont have to think. .

Hah, yeah right. The Japass version was a whole lot more straight forward than the American. And putting the original in the theaters here wouldn't have made a dime.

This coming from an anti-American Swede like me, how embarassing.

The same kind of hype was what made me download it in the first place, for nothing. There was atmosphere, tension and unease in the Jap one? Where?