What is it about Japan?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Like Sweden maybe the homeland of metal these days, you have to hand it to the Japanese for their arthouse horror movies. Just as the rest of the world is obsessed with its propoganda and brainwashing through its media, Japan seems to stay neutral and on top of things all 'genre' related.

As always, they rule the videogame arena, but who here knows about their horror/thriller/psychodrama movie scene? In my opinion, it's probably the best in the world right now.

First of all, accept widescreen format and subtitles. Pan and Scan should be outlawed. And dubbing crappy d-grade American actors to speak over the originals is just dire. Get yourself a codefree DVD player and enjoy:

Ring / Ring 2 (Ringu series) - Forget the US remake, the original is just astounding. Japanese child actors play their roles so realistically, you have to question how the director gets to instill so much fear upon (or in) them. I've yet to see Ring 0...

Dark Water - probably the BEST horror movie I've seen in years. Just completley disturbing with, again, some of the most outrageously realistic acting by children I've ever seen. Even more distressing if you have a child of your own. (Same director as Ring and Ring 2).

Battle Royale - every American needs to see this NOW. It's a complete parody on reality TV which is just plaguing the US - which is getting pathetic at this point. The way George Romero spoofed dumbass mall shoppers in Dawn of the Dead, Battle Royale is just fucking br00tal in its take on reality/survivor like contests.

Junk - the best Zombie flick since Day of the Dead. Enough said. Seriously, if you miss Romero then look no further.

Wild Zero - the second best Zombie flick since Day of the Dead.

The Eye - similar to the Sixth Sense - voted scariest movie of 2002 in Rue Morgue magazine (hail) - and has an ending that will have you talking for days!!

Versus - Japanese Yakuza take on Samurai Zombies. I have not seen gunplay in any movie that comes even close to this blistering mayhem.

If the Italians ruled Horror in the last millenium, then the Japanese have the throne now.

JayKeeley said:
Battle Royale - every American needs to see this NOW. It's a complete parody on reality TV which is just plaguing the US - which is getting pathetic at this point. The way George Romero spoofed dumbass mall shoppers in Dawn of the Dead, Battle Royale is just fucking br00tal in its take on reality/survivor like contests.

YES! Man, this is one grim film ^_^ not my kinda thing (I'm a big soft girl) but damn good watching.

You forget, bro - Japanese cartoons reign uber alles ;)

Ayeka said:
YES! Man, this is one grim film ^_^ not my kinda thing (I'm a big soft girl) but damn good watching.

You forget, bro - Japanese cartoons reign uber alles ;)

Battle Royale stars Beat Takeshi - very cool Japanese actor and very off the wall. He was in a movie called Violent Cop which came out at the time Chow Yun Fat was making waves with John Woo in Hong Kong. Anyway, Violent Cop is also excellent.

I'm not to clued up about Manga truth be known. I have Akira, and I'd like to see Spirited Away.

I'd like to give it a chance, but manga is damned expensive. One DVD costs $25 and the whole thing lasts 45 minutes.

Any cool zombie shit in Manga yet? I'd get that. I'm a big zombie fan. I did see Vampire Hunter D - that was exceptional.

Zombie stuff....*thinks* well, Hellsing has a bit of that, but that's more a vampire thing. Can't really think of any :cry I'm more into the girlie stuff, Tenchi Muyo's my fave ^_^ Neon Genesis Evangelion, Slayers and El Hazard rock. Generally I like to keep an eye out for bishounen :p

If you want something a bit more 'kvlt' and mature, go watch Urotsukidoji ;) I'll stick to my Sailor Moon and Yu-Gi-Oh :D

Ayeka said:
Zombie stuff....*thinks* well, Hellsing has a bit of that, but that's more a vampire thing. Can't really think of any :cry I'm more into the girlie stuff, Tenchi Muyo's my fave ^_^ Neon Genesis Evangelion, Slayers and El Hazard rock. Generally I like to keep an eye out for bishounen :p

If you want something a bit more 'kvlt' and mature, go watch Urotsukidoji ;) I'll stick to my Sailor Moon and Yu-Gi-Oh :D

Yeah I need to check out Hellsing. They're making a movie version of that too soon with Hugh Jackman. Anything with Zombies and I love it for some strange reason.

(I even like it in artwork - e.g. Mortician's Zombie Apocalypse and Bloodbath's Resurrection).

I did see Urotsukidoji years ago, but I may need to revisit. I also really liked the Crying Freeman series.

Have you (or anyone) seen Megalopolis? (sp?)

Demonspell said:
I'm not too familiar with Japanese horror, but I agree that refusing to watch a film because it is subtitled and/or presented in widescreen is quite simply retarded...
Right - preferring pan and scan etc is almost as bad as preffering VHS these days. I cannot wait to get a DVD-RW so I can destroy all my VHS once and for all.

And regrading Japanese horror: well, I'm a big horror fan in general, but Japan seems to be shielded from the "hollywood" machine so much so that they still see movie making as an artform. I imagine this applies to most foreign countries, since their movie industries are so small, and Japan seems to have cornered the horror market.

Before everything was money oriented, the US produced some of the finest movies in the 70's. That's why the best horror EVER comes from that decade.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah I need to check out Hellsing. They're making a movie version of that too soon with Hugh Jackman. Anything with Zombies and I love it for some strange reason.

(I even like it in artwork - e.g. Mortician's Zombie Apocalypse and Bloodbath's Resurrection).

I did see Urotsukidoji years ago, but I may need to revisit. I also really liked the Crying Freeman series.

Have you (or anyone) seen Megalopolis? (sp?)

They're making a Hellsing film already?! :eek: bloody hell, they were quick. I don't think they even brought the series out over here yet!

Urotsukidoji will be well worth a revisit, if only because when it's not funny it's so sick you just have to laugh ^_^

Megalopolis....haven't heard of that. You sure it's not Metropolis? :confused:

Ayeka said:
They're making a Hellsing film already?! !:eek: bloody hell, they were quick. I don't think they even brought the series out over here yet!

Well actually, the movie is called Van Helsing based on the guy who was obsessed with bringing down Dracula. The movie (which also stars the most stunning actress in the world, Kate Beckinsale) comes out next year. The connection to the manga version is probably loose at best...

check it out: www.vanhelsingmovie.com

Notice how they list Frankenstein's monster as "Frankenstein". I thought people would have learned by now...oh well, it is from the same guy who made The Mummy remake....

Megalopolis....haven't heard of that. You sure it's not Metropolis? :confused:
My screw up. I was thinking of Metropolis (not the old b&w movie), but got confused with Doomed Megalopolis. Basically, this is the one that interests me...

45859h.jpg

Ah, Japan. As a culture, I truly believe that they are out of their freaking minds, and that's one of the reasons I love them so.

JayKeeley, I've only seen about half the movies you listed, and from reading the descriptions, sounds like I need to find me a copy of Wild Zero and Versus. The zombie genre has to one of my all time favorites, and there are plenty of them in my dvd collection.

As for other Jap stuff listed in this thread...
I'm a huge fan of Beat Takeshi. Surprisingly, my favorite movie of his is the non-violent one, Kikujiro. Love that movie.
Not much into anime, mostly out of ignorance I guess. There is so out there, and I'm sure there is some stuff that I like, but I just don't know what. One series I saw recently was Berserk. I liked that alot.

Alot of my money goes towards Japanese toys. They are littered everywhere in my house.

bloodfiredeath said:
JayKeeley, I've only seen about half the movies you listed, and from reading the descriptions, sounds like I need to find me a copy of Wild Zero and Versus. The zombie genre has to one of my all time favorites, and there are plenty of them in my dvd collection.

Yeah, Day of the Dead changed everything for me. Wild Zero is totally off the wall - retro punk zombie mania. The head explosions are some of the best I've seen. Versus is just gun play hysteria - I have not been able to find this on DVD, so I only have it on VHS. If you locate it on DVD anywhere, let me know. Anything with Samurai Zombies digging their way out of the ground is going to automatically rule - then throw in some double-gun Berretta action and you've got yourself a cult classic, heh.

If you like Ring, you MUST see Dark Water. When I first saw it, I felt so disturbed. After it sunk in, I realized it's grace.

As for other Jap stuff listed in this thread...
I'm a huge fan of Beat Takeshi. Surprisingly, my favorite movie of his is the non-violent one, Kikujiro. Love that movie.

I've not seen that one - but I take it you've seen Battle Royale. I'm not sure if there is an actor as 'cool' as Beat Takeshi if you know what I mean. Even in moments of madness, he seems to remain cold and calculated. It's quite humourous at times.

Alot of my money goes towards Japanese toys. They are littered everywhere in my house.

I have one Akira toy. That's about it. All the other toys are baby toys for my kid. :)

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, Day of the Dead changed everything for me. Wild Zero is totally off the wall - retro punk zombie mania. The head explosions are some of the best I've seen. Versus is just gun play hysteria - I have not been able to find this on DVD, so I only have it on VHS. If you locate it on DVD anywhere, let me know. Anything with Samurai Zombies digging their way out of the ground is going to automatically rule - then throw in some double-gun Berretta action and you've got yourself a cult classic, heh.
I still vividly remember being very young and the original Night of the Living Dead scaring the shit out of me. I had zombie nightmares for weeks after that. Day of the Dead is great, but I think it is the weakest of the trilogy. Dawn of the Dead is the movie that as a teenager, really made me crazy for the zombie movies. You ever see Let Sleeping Corpses Lie?

As for Versus, several people are selling it on ebay, and www.pokerindustries.com has it listed, but no price.
If you like Ring, you MUST see Dark Water. When I first saw it, I felt so disturbed. After it sunk in, I realized it's grace.
Cool, another one that seems to be all over ebay. I'll check it out.
I've not seen that one - but I take it you've seen Battle Royale. I'm not sure if there is an actor as 'cool' as Beat Takeshi if you know what I mean. Even in moments of madness, he seems to remain cold and calculated. It's quite humourous at times.
Yeah, I saw Battle Royale not too long ago. I didn't even know that Takeshi was in until I started watching it, so I was happy. I definitely know what you mean, Takeshi is the definition of 'cool.'
I have one Akira toy. That's about it. All the other toys are baby toys for my kid. :)
Kids... kids? I'm not sure what you mean. Oh... you must mean pets. Yeah, I got a couple of cats myself, and I find their toys all around the house too. :)

JayKeeley said:

I've got a Vivi plushie (that's Final Fantasy 9 ;)) and two Final Fantasy 8 action figures! :D oh yeah, and a small Gundam Deathscythe model -_-

JayKeeley said:
Did anyone ever play Crono Cross? That is an awesome RPG with the best fighting system (I prefer turn based battles).

Surprisingly, with as many RPGs as I own, I haven't played Chrono Cross. I keep on meaning to download it. It gets posted often on usenet, in the psx group.

However, I have Chrono Trigger for Super Nintendo. It's one of the best RPGs ever. Chrono Cross is the sequel and similar, from what I've seen.

Chrono Cross had us hooked, and then we left it for a while, and we never got back to it. I think we had a baby or something like that.... :)

I've still got Medal of Honor:Frontline sitting in it's wrapper. And the fact that this household is missing Resident Evil 0 is blasphemous. We are Resident Evil obsessed!!!!

Ayeka said:
Resident Evil 2 is amazing, because it is so easy :cool: finished that game too many times ^_^

Yeah but the first time I played it, I shat a brick when that crocodile comes chasing after you down the sewer. I just kept running, and he eventually got me. I missed the whole gas canister sequence, heh.

Resident Evil 1 is the hardest. Resident Evil 3 is excellent but way too short. Resident Evil: Code Veronica is awesome, but it's on the Dreamcast which has the shittiest joypads in the world.

Any clue on RE0 anyone?