JayKeeley . . . time to compare.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I watched Battle Royale a couple weeks ago, and I know you've surely had a chance to listen to Swans. Let me know what you think. They're a tough band to get into, but they have a following WAY beyond cult status (especially Michael Gira).

Battle Royale:

Not nearly as violent as I thought it might be. I made the wife watch it (to toughen her up a bit), but it turned out to be not all that shocking. The shocking thing is that the people doing all the killing are just kids. I suppose that is why it has the notoriety.

I have a hard time telling Japanese people apart, so I was glad they developed a story with almost every character in the movie. The overall story was excellent. I love how Japanese blood sprays out like a high pressure shower head when you cut somebodies throat.

Now . . . should I get Ichi the Killer. That's the one I've really been wanting to see.

npearce said:
Battle Royale:

Not nearly as violent as I thought it might be. I made the wife watch it (to toughen her up a bit), but it turned out to be not all that shocking. The shocking thing is that the people doing all the killing are just kids. I suppose that is why it has the notoriety.
Exactly. It's children being cornered into killing their classmates. I've never praised the film for it's violence, it excels in other places. The violence just makes it a little bouyant and prevents it from dragging. Believe me, I've seen much more violent stuff - e.g. Cannibal Holocaust, and all those other exploitation movies of the early 80's.

I have a hard time telling Japanese people apart, so I was glad they developed a story with almost every character in the movie. The overall story was excellent. I love how Japanese blood sprays out like a high pressure shower head when you cut somebodies throat.
Yeah, that artery spray technique started in Samurai movies, like Shogun Assasin. It's brilliant, and almost makes it cartoonish. And of course the storyline is brilliant, keeping it almost documentary style by displaying the death statistics up on the screen.

This is what happens with effective Japanese movies - they all turn into instant pop culture. Wait 'till you see something like Versus (Samurai Zombies vs. 'Reservoir Dogs'), or Ichi the Killer.....

Now . . . should I get Ichi the Killer. That's the one I've really been wanting to see.
This is demented. It's warped, it's stupid, and the whole thing is just a mass frenzy. Underneath it all is a very slick sense of black humor. You will love it. It essentially captures your music tastes and puts them to celluloid. Extremely cult - you do not need to own the uncut version. The only part they took out is some of the rape sequence, and believe me, you don't need to see the extended version of that. Well, I don't think you do.

Re: SWANS - I love them. I'd like to keep my detailed thoughts for the reviews though if you don't mind.

npearce said:
I'll probably just buy Battle Royale II.
Please don't. Now that you've seen part 1, read my thoughts on part 2 first: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132441&highlight=battle+royale

It sounds like I better go get Ichi the Killer NOW!
Please do: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3385849551&category=2306 but shop around. You can get it cheap these days, not that this one is expensive. It's just that mail from Canada can take ages sometimes.

For some reason I can't get the ebay server to work for me. I kind of want the uncut Ichi the Killer. I'm sort of a fan of movies and music as they were meant to be. If you find it on ebay, point me to it. I have trouble telling if it is the right region (I still haven't figure that crap out).

I'll look once ebay is back up for me.

You have to look for "region free" or "region 0". Most of the time, it's the former.

I agree, I prefer the uncut versions just for the purity of it all. My only point was, the cut version of Ichi doesn't detract from the overall watching experience, and it might be easier to find the regular cut version.

The uncut version is 128 minutes long. Decent eBay sellers will provide that information. I buy all my stuff from this guy (eBay user ID): stiller66aol
spacer.gif
- he has an eBay store called Far East DVD. He can get you the uncut version of Ichi the Killer, region free, if you can't find it anywhere else.

npearce said:
That was part of what made it somewhat unsettling for me, the other part being the subplots and the situations these kids end up getting in having to kill each other in. The part with the psycho guy shotting the girls on the hilltop and holding a megaphone to the mouth of one who's still alive before shotting her again stands out, along with the poisoning bit.

Funny you peeps mention Ichi The Killer...I remember that being a shit hot film to see many months ago...unfortunately me and the kids who were watching it have turned into mutual pains in the ass for each other so it may to too late to blag a copy :p

The bit that made me wince the most was the fight between the guy and girl with that crotch stabbing scene. The fact that she has a 12" blade held with both hands above her head, and swinging down to stab his crotch...

At first, I was like :ill: , and then I was all :erk: , but then I thought :headbang:

Yep, like totally. "Man that's FUCKED up... good for her!" o_O

I found the poisoning scene to be a microcosm of the whole flick, in fact that scene with a brief background explanation could have made a great short film.

By the way, BRII hit the post office today, along with all you guys latest promos. I even sent a couple of shirts out to notman and Black Winter Gay.

JayKeeley said:
Extremely cult - you do not need to own the uncut version. The only part they took out is some of the rape sequence, and believe me, you don't need to see the extended version of that. Well, I don't think you do.

And the nipple-being-pulled-off bit ;) But yes, I agree..

Also, Npearce, I watched Ichi with a load of medics at uni, and apparently arterial sprays like that do happen if your throat is cut. The first one can reach six feet, the second around three, and they pretty much stop after the third as you've lost so much blood already :)

I watched BRII JK, and I agree with some of your criticisms, but I didn't think it was a bad film. Quite watchable, it's just nowhere near as good as the first ;)

Russell said:
I watched BRII JK, and I agree with some of your criticisms, but I didn't think it was a bad film. Quite watchable, it's just nowhere near as good as the first ;)
That's good. In a nutshell, I loved the first half, didn't like the last half. However, for anyone who's seen part 1, it's interesting to see part 2 for the follow on story either way.

JayKeeley said:
The bit that made me wince the most was the fight between the guy and girl with that crotch stabbing scene. The fact that she has a 12" blade held with both hands above her head, and swinging down to stab his crotch...

At first, I was like :ill: , and then I was all :erk: , but then I thought :headbang:
Heheh, same here! :ill: & :eek: followed by a feeling of "well, had to expect that I guess :Spin: "

Funnily enough, I get that same feeling watching Dirty Sanchez...