What is it about Japan?

This was a good thread, and I just watched Spirited Away last night, so like, bump or some junk.

You know, I didn't think Spirited Away was as good as everyone made out, but still excellent. Plus I can't believe how bad the NTSC format is for anime. The animation just becomes 'jerky'. I only rented it, but if I see it on sale, I'll get tha Region 2 PAL version.

Hooray for Russell and his region-free DVD player. Why anyone would buy otherwise these days is beyond me. Reminds me, I must watch Ju-On: The Grudge at some point.

I thought Spirited Away was really good, but I'm not sure about hailing it a masterpiece. It had a few moments that had my head scratching (why on earth did she befriend the baby and bird-thing so quickly, just because they changed form and size!?). Also, I really liked the Mr. No Face Monster Guy Thing, but wasn't quite clear on his significance, if any. Maybe I'm just slow. :loco:

Oh yeah, and her parents fucking pissed me off, especially the mom who was a waste of a parent. Lines like "Just wait in the car" and "don't make me trip you little whore" were annoying (maybe I'm paraphrasing). I was hoping for them to get eaten as the stupid pigs they were. :mad:

NAD said:
Oh yeah, and her parents fucking pissed me off, especially the mom who was a waste of a parent. Lines like "Just wait in the car" and "don't make me trip you little whore" were annoying (maybe I'm paraphrasing). I was hoping for them to get eaten as the stupid pigs they were. :mad:
They were the worst parents ever. They just became irritating to watch. Even at the end, when she saves them, they were still wankers and just told her to "hurry up" as they walked back through the tunnel. Should have been turned into pork chops.

JayKeeley said:
You know, I didn't think Spirited Away was as good as everyone made out, but still excellent. Plus I can't believe how bad the NTSC format is for anime. The animation just becomes 'jerky'. I only rented it, but if I see it on sale, I'll get tha Region 2 PAL version.

Hooray for Russell and his region-free DVD player. Why anyone would buy otherwise these days is beyond me. Reminds me, I must watch Ju-On: The Grudge at some point.

I think it is Miyazaki's best, but I have yet to see a few of them, so ;)

Yase, it took me a long time fighting with my damn computer etc, but I eventually managed to do it without resorting to firmware! :D

Cheater! :D

My DVD-ROM on my computer is fucking stupid. The good thing is I can change the region code any time I want, but the bad thing is if you change it more than 5 times, the drive itself becomes completely inoperable. How stupid is that? Not that it matters though, it's one of those CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM drives and I never use DVDs anyhow. :D

Ohh ohhh!!! Tell me please, would ya? Not that I would even use it, but I really don't like having my computer tell me what I can and cannot do. :)

Russell said:
True, but I have a rather good and quite expensive region two player, which I don't want to replace ;)
One day, when you join the rat race and get a job, you too will have 4 DVD players like me. o_O (That includes my PS2 btw).

NAD said:
Ohh ohhh!!! Tell me please, would ya? Not that I would even use it, but I really don't like having my computer tell me what I can and cannot do. :)

An ickle program called DVD region free, not too hard to get your hands on, but it's $40.. But I have a not so expensive version of it :Smug:

And JK, I know I will! I've got a feeling that day will come before I start working, but still, I'm all for trying to save money :p

Tits. I'll hunt it down if and when I feel the urge. :)

1 TV
1 VCR
1 DVD
8 CD players, including CD drive on the computer and my Playstation.