horror movies

Tye

The Necromancer!
Dec 9, 2003
Irlanda del Norte
I had a quick look and couldn't find anything relating to horror - apologies if there is.

Anyway I just wondered if anyone seen 'gothica', 'dawn of the dead' and even the comedy 'shaun of the dead'? Do you think horror is making a come back in general and for hollywood? Though gothica borrowed a lot from Japans 'Ring' it was the best hollywood horror in many years.

Favourit horror movies anyone - modern or old?

toolsofthetrade said:
i dunno what horror was displayed in Gothica; its just a thriller with a weak script. :ill:

I thought it was quite good for a hollywood movie and you have to admit it was far better than the horrific (for the wrong reasons) SCREAM 1, 2, 3, etc

Tye said:
I thought it was quite good for a hollywood movie and you have to admit it was far better than the horrific (for the wrong reasons) SCREAM 1, 2, 3, etc
ah havent seen those :( happily enuff i reckon ;)

no mate, Gothica was just a badly executed shape-shi(f)t thing with nice camera work imo. Not really something i'll remember in a cpl of years...

I really didn't enjoy Gothika, it was weak, even if I usually love the director's work (Mathieu Kassovitz).
Lots of horror movies indeed latelly, but none of them really impressed me.
The old stuff still rules.
Suspiria forever

i recently saw the original Dawn of the Dead and i was pleasantly surprised although i did hear the remake is good (haven't seen it yet). There hasn't really been any horrors that have made me jump out of my skin except Alien and that scene where Captain Dallas is running about in the air vents and the alien grabs him when he goes down the ladder, i crapped one when i saw that lol, i was about 10 at the time tho ;)

I think damn near anything pre-1990 is gonna be good. Now, off the top of my head:
Silent Night, Deadly Night series
Nightmare series(more for comedy than horror really)
Hellraiser series(best horror author of all time imho--->Clive Barker)
Phantasm series
Burnt Offerings(really fucked up movie about a house that survives by killing people)
Amityville Horror
Evil Dead series(again, for comedy; well, maybe not the first one)
Blood Diner(hilarious 1987 movie about two cannibals who own a vegan restaraunt)
Fright Night
Halloween series
The People Under The Stairs
The Gates Of Hell(also called City of The Dead-->Lucio Fulci stuff rules!)
Well that's it for right now.

That movie is truly strange 'cause it starts off as this love story, then it becomes a zombie movie (good stuff though). I saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead and I thought it was pretty good (damn gory too). I love horror movies of all sorts, especially cheesy stuff from the 80s: the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Return of the Living Dead, Fright Night,etc. Troma movies are cool too. I also get into twisted movies like Session 9 and the Ninth Gate. Has anyone seen Trick or Treat? :D

My favourites - Hellrasier, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Exorcist, most 80s low budget movies

New ones include most Asian cimena especially Japanese - Ring 1 and O, The Eye, The Audition and of course Battle Royale (thought its not a horror)

MoonsOfJupiter said:
All good ones there ^. Battle Royale rules!

The second one was released in N.I not too long ago but I had to miss it because of work. I heard it was crap but I would like to find out for myself.

toolsofthetrade said:
Braindead
From Dusk Till Dawn 1
Evil Dead
The Omen
dont know about the other ones, but those are class!
not really horror, more comedy gore horror, but still cool. Another funny one, but certainly not horror is Bad Taste, Brilliant. The original Dawn of the Dead was cool, I got the prequel to it the other day but didnt watch it yet. Most of the 80's B movies were great when they were gore or horror. Simple goo, guts, animal intestines, animal brains, flesh that fell apart if touched by a toothbrush, it was all brilliant and made cheap but continuos death scenes :)

the Faces of Death series are horrible. its like real-life fatal bloopers.. but you cant supress a smile here and there. such stupidity. 'sbeen a while since i seen it

Faces of Death is like 80% "re-enactments". Weak.

Traces of Death. Now that's the real shit (besides a few fake scenes here and there, which the makers probably didn't catch as only a trained nutter like myself can pick it out).

I have a ton of that sort of shit, but I can't watch it anymore. I used to be obssessed with it, but now I feel all guilty and like, sad about it. I'm getting old.