Top Whatever Horror Flicks

JayKeeley said:
OK, here's a list of slightly more cult horror movies. You'll be kicking yourself for not seeing/owning these already.

1 - Suspiria (jesus h christ...what a masterpiece. Surely Argento's best. The nano-second flash of witches shadows flying in the town square before the dog turns on his blind owner is horror in its purest form.)

2 - The Changeling (come on, what needs to be said about this one. Just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It's the Citizen Kane of horror).

3 - Ringu (yep, original all the way. It's 'nauseating' to watch just because it's so warped and at times non-sensical. Hideo Nakata pushed the envelope all the way, even if he did rip off The Changeling. The US version was an exercise of restraint, totally washing out all the grime. Even the "video" in the US version made sense, and what was that shit about the horses? Blech. Go with the psychotic Japanese hysteria)

4 - The Beyond (Fulci's best and certainly the best of the "splatterfest" films. Total gore all the way, without exploitation a la Cannibal Holocaust. The blind woman on the causeway is wide-lens cinematic genius, but the final portrayal of the desolation of hell is spectacular. The dog turning on the blind woman is complete tribute to Argento)

5 - The Devil's Backbone (forget the tripe that was Hellboy and go see this from the same director instead. Cinematography cannot get much better, no shit. And the small amount of CGI needed to show the dead boy surrounded by water as he roams the halls is perfect. Nothing OTT about this flick, just dark, ambient, and mournful).

6. Don't Look Now (setting this film in Venice was genius. It's a total gothic affair and it's got Donald Sutherland for crissakes)

7. Exorcist III (fantastic horror "thriller" totally worthy of keeping the Exorcist name in the title, with the whole Gemini Killer thing going on with Karras in a straight jacket...holy shit).

Probably forgot a few.

bookmarked :loco:

1 - Suspiria

Saw it, great flick, simply forgot to put in on my list.

2 - The Changeling

Ditto for this - is there anything creepier than that scene with the wheelchair at the top of the stairs?

3 - Ringu

Eventually I'll get around to checking it out

4 - The Beyond

I need to revisit it, I saw it YEARS ago

5 - The Devil's Backbone

Never heard of it

6. Don't Look Now

Wasn't as enthralled as you were - need to revisit

7. Exorcist III

Awesome movie.

Chromatose said:
all time favorite will likely always be Dawn of the Dead

Fine by me.

Fulci-
The Beyond
House by the Cemetary (scariest movie ever)
Zombi 2
City of the Living Dead

Yeah see, "Bob" in House by the Cemetary ruined it for me. I actually wanted to see him die a miserable death, just because he was voice-dubbed so poorly. I think they dubbed him with a woman's voice.

Argento-
Inferno
Suspiria
Demons 2
Phenomena
Deep Red (I guess it's not so much a horror film as the rest)

The Demons films are shit I reckon, or at least overrated. Either way, they're not directed by Argento.

Inferno is great. I love the concept of a floor between floors. Notice how "Being John Malkovich" picked up on this idea.

others-
Evil Dead 1 and 2 (fuck you, army of darkness)
Dead Alive

I don't even need to list the classics, The Shining, Omen.. I'd say those are typically always a given

and yes I'm obsessed with zombie films, so add a big list of those in here too.

oh I forgot to add Pet Semetary 1 and 2 (maybe that falls under the list of zombie things though :p )

edit: CREEPSHOW!

HOUSE!!

HOUSE 2?

Yeah, mentioning Pet Cemetary (part 2??), House (part 2??) made me skim through your post first time round. :loco: The first House is great and trashy. I bailed from school one day on my Religous Education exam to go see this at the cinema. I was the only one in there. :kickass:

Good effort though. I'll read your recommendations in more depth if you can back them up with some further dialogue. :cool:

anyone ever see "scarecrow"?
dont remember much of it other than one of the guys looks EXACTLY like my brother and that they are all hunted by, well, a scarecrow.

0792846478.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

hhaha, that came out back when we had to rent the entire fucking VCR - not just the tapes.

you just hate me because i'm beautiful

hey I did put a "?" after house 2

it's not horror at all, but it's a fun fantasy movie, with a old timey zombie dude

House by the Cemetary, yes yes yes we all know how horrid the dubbing is, deal with it. But the scene where they're trapped in the basement.. zombie coming towards you, piles of goo oozing from a hole in his abdomen.. it's freaky man, freaky. It's worth sitting through the rest of that movie just for that

And I'm sorry you don't like the Pet Semetary films, maybe it needed more cock?

JayKeeley said:
Good effort though. I'll read your recommendations in more depth if you can back them up with some further dialogue. :cool:

dialogue isn't necessary, get the hell off these forums and go watch some horror

Well, all I was saying is this: if people genuinely are making recommendations, I'll check them out if there's some back up to go with it.

Normally I can't stand recommendation threads where people just list titles. That does shit for me. Tell me in 3 sentences why I should check out Pet Cemetary 2 and I'll go rent the fucker. Or maybe not. :loco:

P.S. I was sorely disappointed with Land of the Dead. I only just got round to watching it recently when it was first released on DVD (purposely waiting for the unrated version) and man, I thought it was weak. It just doesn't seem to have much replay value, unlike his others. It's all too out in the open, at face value, if that makes any sense.

^i agree w/ land of the dead assessment....it was pretty entertaining, i mean zombies are pretty much always entertaining, but i haven't felt a compulsion to watch it since i did in the theater

if I had to back up pet semetary 2 with a recommendation, I hardly see being able to list it as a real recommendation, sheesh! :loco:

Land of the Dead: I saw it in the theaters, though it was definitely an enjoyable experience, kept me watching, got me involved

tried watching the DVD the other day, watched for a handful of minutes and couldn't stand anymore, you're right about that lack of replay value

Even Day of The Dead (being my least favorite of the others) I can watch pretty often, thanks to the engaging story.