Top Whatever Horror Flicks

ha, just read J.s post. the complete opposite of mine.

ps: i cried when wolfie "died". i wanted to burn black house on the other hand.

You guys are missing one of the best Stephen King novels to screen adaptations:

The Dead Zone (dir: David Cronenberg).

Christopher Walken at his ABSOLUTE best (after True Romance of course).

rating_1.gif
= excessive faggage

one star?! bastards!
yeah, dead zone is excellent. man, i shouldve said *some* of kings works dont translate well to the screen. so many good ones i forgot about.
dolores claiborne? not horror but great movie.

markgugs said:
and Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead. And Kings of New York. :loco:
dude, King of New York fucking rules. Larry (haha before he tried to get all sophisticated calling himself Laurence) Fishburne is totally awesome as the G-ed up nigga. he makes me laugh after just about every line, like when the young cop is hanging onto the car and he forces his face into the fire hydrant and he's all, "no one rides fo free muthafucka!!" haha its classic! and Walken shoots the cop in the face with a sawed-off at the goddamn police men's funeral. how fuckin badass is that? sure the movie is cheesy as hell, but its from 1990 and its about coke dealers, what do you expect? Frank White for President!

J. said:
The Talisman was crap IMO, but they're making a movie of it apparently. Black House on the other hand was great, and I loved the DT references.

Dude, your taste sucks! :oops: Talisman was one of my favorite books growing up. It *could* make a great film, but they'll probably fuck it up.

neal said:
dude, King of New York fucking rules. Larry (haha before he tried to get all sophisticated calling himself Laurence) Fishburne is totally awesome as the G-ed up nigga. he makes me laugh after just about every line, like when the young cop is hanging onto the car and he forces his face into the fire hydrant and he's all, "no one rides fo free muthafucka!!" haha its classic! and Walken shoots the cop in the face with a sawed-off at the goddamn police men's funeral. how fuckin badass is that? sure the movie is cheesy as hell, but its from 1990 and its about coke dealers, what do you expect? Frank White for President!

I knew you were a smart dood neal :D

KONY is like New Jack City, only much cooler and featuring Walken. :headbang:

"King of New York" is the shit.

As far as great horror movies, my favorite is probably "The Ring" (and for all those uber-cool folks who are about to go, "Duuude, you totally have to see the Japanese original, it was soooo much better." Piss off.)

Zod

Yeah, but there is no doubting the US version of The Ring was complete and total arsewipe by comparison. I assume you have at least seen the original???

I didn't even bother with the US sequel.

Misery was a good King flick. James Caan is a cool mutha.

Side note: The Changeling, Firestarter, and The Exorcist III are wholly underrated. (So is anything else starring George C Scott).

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, but there is no doubting the US version of The Ring was complete and total arsewipe by comparison. I assume you have at least seen the original???
Nope. Totally loved the U.S. version, I want nothing to taint that love.

JayKeeley said:
I didn't even bother with the US sequel.
Me neither, sequels almost always suck.

JayKeeley said:
Misery was a good King flick. James Caan is a cool mutha.
Agreed.

Zod

My top horror flicks (no particular order):

1. Halloween
2. The Exorcist
3. The Exorcist III (totally agree with JK's sentiment)
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (a true masterpiece of terror)
5. The Fog (love that John Carpenter score, great atmosphere)
6. Evil Dead (Zod, it's definitely all about timing with this one, I first saw it in the mid eighties and it scared the hell out me, and I think the atmosphere is fantastic).
7. Evil Dead II - much more campy than the original, but Bruce Campbell is fantastic in it. His over the top performance makes this one a winner. I love the ending too.
8. Dawn of the Dead (original, not the remake, and the best of the zombie flicks IMO)
9. Return of the Living Dead (what a great party zombie flick - best watched with friends who like campy horror)
10. Poltergeist
11. The Omen (possibly the greatest horror soundtrack ever)
12. The Ring (Zod & JK, you're right not to watch the sequel, don't go anywhere near it).

OK, here's a list of slightly more cult horror movies. You'll be kicking yourself for not seeing/owning these already.

1 - Suspiria (jesus h christ...what a masterpiece. Surely Argento's best. The nano-second flash of witches shadows flying in the town square before the dog turns on his blind owner is horror in its purest form.)

2 - The Changeling (come on, what needs to be said about this one. Just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It's the Citizen Kane of horror).

3 - Ringu (yep, original all the way. It's 'nauseating' to watch just because it's so warped and at times non-sensical. Hideo Nakata pushed the envelope all the way, even if he did rip off The Changeling. The US version was an exercise of restraint, totally washing out all the grime. Even the "video" in the US version made sense, and what was that shit about the horses? Blech. Go with the psychotic Japanese hysteria)

4 - The Beyond (Fulci's best and certainly the best of the "splatterfest" films. Total gore all the way, without exploitation a la Cannibal Holocaust. The blind woman on the causeway is wide-lens cinematic genius, but the final portrayal of the desolation of hell is spectacular. The dog turning on the blind woman is complete tribute to Argento)

5 - The Devil's Backbone (forget the tripe that was Hellboy and go see this from the same director instead. Cinematography cannot get much better, no shit. And the small amount of CGI needed to show the dead boy surrounded by water as he roams the halls is perfect. Nothing OTT about this flick, just dark, ambient, and mournful).

6. Don't Look Now (setting this film in Venice was genius. It's a total gothic affair and it's got Donald Sutherland for crissakes)

7. Exorcist III (fantastic horror "thriller" totally worthy of keeping the Exorcist name in the title, with the whole Gemini Killer thing going on with Karras in a straight jacket...holy shit).

Probably forgot a few.

thanks for the recommendations
*still looking for an online video rental source*