Top Whatever Horror Flicks

Day of the Dead for me has the most replay value. Night of the Living Dead is so cult now, it's so noir-ish, you have to be in the right mood. Dawn of the Dead, for all it's glory, is just a tad too long IMO.

Day of the Dead was his popcorn flick, but with intellect. Plus, you know, it's got Rhodes. Rhodes keeps that movie spinning, more than the black guy with the worst fake Jamaican accent in all movie history.

JayKeeley said:
Day of the Dead for me has the most replay value. Night of the Living Dead is so cult now, it's so noir-ish, you have to be in the right mood. Dawn of the Dead, for all it's glory, is just a tad too long IMO.

Day of the Dead was his popcorn flick, but with intellect. Plus, you know, it's got Rhodes. Rhodes keeps that movie spinning, more than the black guy with the worst fake Jamaican accent in all movie history.

The thing about Day of the Dead that keeps it from being a great film is that there is simply too much arguing and meanness among the people you're supposed to root for. I'm sick and tired of all the movies where you can't wait to see certain characters get slaughtered. To me, it's much more terrifying when the despicable acts happen to those characters you actually care about. That's what made movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist such indisputable classics and experiments in fear.

Dark One said:
The thing about Day of the Dead that keeps it from being a great film is that there is simply too much arguing and meanness among the people you're supposed to root for. I'm sick and tired of all the movies where you can't wait to see certain characters get slaughtered.

I think it's kinda poignant. Knowing that humanity is on the verge of extinction, the last remaining surivivors still can't work together with a common goal. Their isolation becomes the horrific reality, and we all know that the actual zombies in Romero's movies are just a side note to the real underlying theme.

That's probably what makes Night of the Living Dead so remarkable. The ending is gut wrenching, so utterly anti-climactic, it just brings you back to reality (with what you were dealing with in society at that time, with the civil rights movement, etc).

To me, it's much more terrifying when the despicable acts happen to those characters you actually care about. That's what made movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist such indisputable classics and experiments in fear.

True, it's a different approach. Have the audience connect with the characters and then slowly pick them off. The trick is in avoiding the exploitation: see Last House on the Left. That film does nothing for me, it's gonzo horror. Thankfully We Craven delivered Nightmare on Elm St, otherwise he's a pretty shitty director (overrated).

havent seen land of the dead yet. but i thought of another fantastic one that i cant believe i left off my list: the wife and i were out to dinner tonight and while she was rambling on and on about something, i started daydreaming about killing people. then i thought, "hey! i forgot all about American Psycho!"

so there it is. American Psycho. is it horror? i think so. does it fucking rule? hell yeah.

turning this into a general horror movie thread.........

Masters of Horror - Jenifer, by Dario Argento

ehh so far it's the best of the 3 I've seen in the masters of horror series (the other two were Dance of the Dead by tobe hooper, and Dreams in the Witch House by someone whom I forget offhand, dance of the dead was too cheesy , dreams in the witch house was cool, but likely just because it was based on a Lovecraft story)... but this one was still a bit too cheesy, should've starred someone else other than Steven Weber, that brings it down right there, him and drama do not mix (just think of The Shining remake, but he wasn't that bad on Wings ya know)

but, the gore looked nice ........