What is it about Japan?

By the way, I made an ebay dvd haul yesterday. Bought the Battle Royal uncut 2 dvd set (only had it on vcd and not sure of the length), Versus (uncut), Dark Water, and Burning Paradise, the second and third coming from the recommendation in this thread. I'll hopefully have them in a week or so.

bloodfiredeath said:
By the way, I made an ebay dvd haul yesterday. Bought the Battle Royal uncut 2 dvd set (only had it on vcd and not sure of the length), Versus (uncut), Dark Water, and Burning Paradise, the second and third coming from the recommendation in this thread. I'll hopefully have them in a week or so.

Nice haul.

What's on the second DVD for Battle Royale?
Where did you find Versus on DVD!? Is it an eBay store? I really want this on DVD (not VHS).
Tell me more about Burning Paradise...

Don't know. Both versions were the same length, but I figured for 5 dollars more, I'd see what the second dvd is all about.

Where did you find Versus on DVD!? Is it an eBay store? I really want this on DVD (not VHS).

ebay indeed. Just do a search for 'versus dvd' and it will come up. I bought it from 'stiller66@aol.com' It was $15.

Tell me more about Burning Paradise...

It's probably my favorite HK martial arts movie ever. Very over the top, very violent, with a very high level of production and amazing fights. It was directed by Ringo Lam and produced by Tsui Hark. It features the character Fong Sai Yuk, however, not played this time by Jet Li (who did in many movies), but by Willie Chi, who does a great job. Same guy on ebay selling it for $10. I've had it on video forever, so it was a no brainer for me.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah but the first time I played it, I shat a brick when that crocodile comes chasing after you down the sewer. I just kept running, and he eventually got me. I missed the whole gas canister sequence, heh.

Luckily first time I got to that bit I happened to have a mate on hand to tell me about it ^_^

N64 contro, pads were just fine :p

Ayeka said:
Zombie stuff....*thinks* well, Hellsing has a bit of that, but that's more a vampire thing.

Looking into Hellsing this week. And Cowboy Beebop. Any opinions on Cowboy?

Also, finally rented Metropolis and Jin Roh. I'll see them this week.

Well, usually I'm pretty thorough in checking out an ebay seller before buying. I may have jumped the gun a little with this guy. He gets a ton a feedback, and obviously does tons of selling. Most of it is good, but there are enough negative comments for me to wish I would have bought these dvds from someone else. So I'm crossing my fingers...

bloodfiredeath said:
Well, usually I'm pretty thorough in checking out an ebay seller before buying. I may have jumped the gun a little with this guy. He gets a ton a feedback, and obviously does tons of selling. Most of it is good, but there are enough negative comments for me to wish I would have bought these dvds from someone else. So I'm crossing my fingers...
I think you should be ok.

To be fair, it's a lot easier being a buyer than a seller obviously. Papa Josh mentioned that he sold something on eBay and sent it off, but the buyer claimed that the CD never turned up!

So I think he had to refund the money, and on top of that, the buyer left him with negative feedback. To this day, the buyer could have been lying all along, so she/he ended up with a free CD.

People take liberties....and a few negative comments on eBay might have been entirely innocent. Just being optimistic. :)

Hey back on topic of Japan and Zombies, has anyone heard of the movie Stacy? It's about a bunch of Japanese school girls that become Zombies, hehehe. Very retro and pulp-like, with lots of nods to Evil Dead and Charlie Bronson's Death Wish.

stacy_cover.jpg

JayKeeley said:
Hey back on topic of Japan and Zombies, has anyone heard of the movie Stacy? It's about a bunch of Japanese school girls that become Zombies, hehehe. Very retro and pulp-like, with lots of nods to Evil Dead and Charlie Bronson's Death Wish.

I read about Stacy not that long ago. I looked like it had a Troma vibe to it.

bloodfiredeath said:
I read about Stacy not that long ago. I looked like it had a Troma vibe to it.

You mean, Toxic Avenger style? Maybe....although the Japanese twist should add some credence. I think it might be in the same style as Wild Zero - modern retro, as opposed to cheap c-movie schlock, which is what Troma is IMO.

JayKeeley said:
And Cowboy Beebop. Any opinions on Cowboy?
I saw the movie some months back, it was incredible. It was amazing how much I really felt like I knew the characters personally when we left the theatre.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to anime or anything Japanese really, except video games. :)

Oooooooh, missed that bit. Cowboy Bebop rules, great series :) doesn't go particularly heavy on anything, but it's real smoooooooooth :cool:

JayKeeley said:

There's not a great deal more footage in the film on the special edition - three requiems at the end, and a few minutes of extra footage interspersed throughout the film.. It doesn't have a great impact on the plot but it's very interesting to see as it goes towards explaining some of the charachter's behaviour :) That's all on DVD one, on DVD two there are loads and loads of extras, a making of, a featurette, interviews, press conference, special birthday message for the director, behind the scenes filming etc. etc. (I can't remember them all ;) ) :) Well worth whatever you have to pay to get your hands on a copy ;)

I disagree that it's a horror film, however. I wouldn't even consider it a satire of reality television really - to me it's a love story, albeit set in a very extreme environment..

BTW Japan, isn't just miles ahead in horror, there have been many really great non-horror movies coming out of there in recent times! Many of which are released by Tartan Asia Extreme - if you can get hold of any of their DVD's (all region free I believe) they are nearly all worth seeing :)

JayKeeley said:
I imagine this applies to most foreign countries, since their movie industries are so small, and Japan seems to have cornered the horror market.

:wave: One final thing, there have been a few decent Mexican horror movies well worth checking out (largely due to Guillermo del Torro), for starters a ghost story, "The Devils Backbone". :)

Reactions: NAD
Russell said:
I disagree that it's a horror film, however. I wouldn't even consider it a satire of reality television really - to me it's a love story, albeit set in a very extreme environment..

Yeah there is a love theme, but the real emphasis is the take on Lord of the Flies surely. Doing what it takes to survive etc. Glad you agree that it's a great flick - I def want that second DVD.

Russell said:
Many of which are released by Tartan Asia Extreme - if you can get hold of any of their DVD's (all region free I believe) they are nearly all worth seeing :)

Yep, my Ring and Ring 2 are on Tartan Asia. The only thing is, Tartan has distribution predominantly in the UK (they even have the BBFC certifications printed on the cover). Getting it out here in the US means ordering it from blackstar or Amazon UK and shipping it in.

I generally prefer to order from HKflix - they have all the stuff as soon as it hits the shelves in Japan, Korea, or HK - but since they are Hawaii based, I only pay domestic shipping costs!

Russell said:
:wave: One final thing, there have been a few decent Mexican horror movies well worth checking out (largely due to Guillermo del Torro), for starters a ghost story, "The Devils Backbone". :)

Own it. Studied it. Raved about it forever! Puts his directing efforts of Mimic and Blade II to shame, although I have not yet seen Cronos!

And welcome to the forum Russel. :wave:

JayKeeley said:
Yeah there is a love theme, but the real emphasis is the take on Lord of the Flies surely. Doing what it takes to survive etc. Glad you agree that it's a great flick - I def want that second DVD.

Yes, that may well be the case for many, but not for me.. From my experience having talked to people who like the films there are three different attractions to fans. :) One I've come across far more often than I like are the people who say "oh yeah, great film, you know it was banned here yeah? Loads of violence, I love it, it's extreme", which slightly irritates me as (IMO of course) this negates the overall message and completely ignores the meaning of the film.

Then there the fans who love it for its LotF's survival element - getting sucked into the story, wondering who is playing the game and the lengths people will go to to survive. Which is only slightly different to how I see it ;)

What makes the film so truly effective and amazing, for me, is the fact you put yourself in the situation - if it came down to it, and you were in Kawada's position, would you kill yourself to save the person you loved? Or kill them to save yourself, or let you both die? And to me that is taking the love of another person to it's furthest point - would you kill yourself for another? Coupled with the developing relationship between Nanahara and Noriko, to survive for the love of each other against all odds. It just touches me far more than the survival aspect, and what I love so much about Battle Royale is its suffocating intensity, the fact you get so totally wrapped up in it's bleak yet ultimately uplifting plot :) Or maybe that's just me :lol: That's pretty much why I believe it is a love story, but like I say, it's subjective, and mine is by no means the accepted view :)

Anyway, yes it's one of my favourite films of all time, mostly because it is so powerful! The second DVD if you are a fan is weeelll worth having, and not only do you get two dvds in a tin box you get a frame of film from an original theatrical release a booklet and a collectors card :cool: A nice package overall. I had to pay £30 for it tho ($50?) :erk:

JayKeeley said:
Yep, my Ring and Ring 2 are on Tartan Asia. The only thing is, Tartan has distribution predominantly in the UK (they even have the BBFC certifications printed on the cover). Getting it out here in the US means ordering it from blackstar or Amazon UK and shipping it in.

I know, it's great isn't it! :D I can get them in vrtually any video store here, often for less than many other DVD's! :)

JayKeeley said:
I generally prefer to order from HKflix - they have all the stuff as soon as it hits the shelves in Japan, Korea, or HK - but since they are Hawaii based, I only pay domestic shipping costs!

That's cool about the early release dates, but I'd have to ship them over here which would be expensive :cry:

JayKeeley said:
Own it. Studied it. Raved about it forever! Puts his directing efforts of Mimic and Blade II to shame, although I have not yet seen Cronos!

And welcome to the forum Russel. :wave:

Yes, I was lucky enough to see it at the cinema, it was great! :D I have Cronos on DVD, but I have yet to watch it, I think I bought a few too many DVD's last week :saint: I'll watch it straight after Amores Perros I thinks!

Thanks for the welcome :) :wave:

OK first of all, how about a "Spoiler Alert" warning for those that haven't seen it yet!! :lol:

Russell said:
...people who say "oh yeah, great film, you know it was banned here yeah? Loads of violence, I love it, it's extreme", which slightly irritates me as (IMO of course) this negates the overall message and completely ignores the meaning of the film.

Agreed. But you slap "Banned in 31 countries" (or whatever) on the front cover of a DVD and you know it's going to attract a certain type of audience. Just look at the cover of "Cannibal Ferox" or "Shogun Assassin"! I guess that was a sign of the times though - shock value.

Then there the fans who love it for its LotF's survival element - getting sucked into the story, wondering who is playing the game and the lengths people will go to to survive. Which is only slightly different to how I see it ;)

Right. And it depends on your perspective obviously. The timing of Battle Royale is just right for me with American tv audiences being subject to some of the worst tv in history - "Reality Shows". Granted, I'll watch a couple, but 90% of them are a disaster. It's cheap tv. Battle Royale is so humorous in its spoof (whether its inadvertent or not) - particularly in Beat Takeshi's character - that his callous persona makes him quite amusing. Perhaps in the same way that the Belgian film, "Man Bites Dog", was considered to be black comedy.

What makes the film so truly effective and amazing, for me, is the fact you put yourself in the situation - if it came down to it, and you were in Kawada's position, would you kill yourself to save the person you loved? Or kill them to save yourself, or let you both die? And to me that is taking the love of another person to it's furthest point - would you kill yourself for another?...

Yes, the inevitable dilemna! But when the film ends, it's difficult to forget what preceded in the last 90 minutes with what the other school children were capable of. That was an incredible insight in what people/children are capable of.

Not sure about your situation, but my perspective might be different since I am a father to a baby girl, and everything I see now affects me more personally in the way that I see kids interacting with each other. It sounds cheesy, but its true.

That is why I find films like Ring (Japanese Ringu), and in particular, DARK WATER(!!), that disturb me like nothing else.

To be honest, Battle Royale would not have had the same impact if the island was full of adults. You would tend to sympathize less perhaps.

Anyway, yes it's one of my favourite films of all time, mostly because it is so powerful! The second DVD if you are a fan is weeelll worth having

Sounds like I might need to get it. If my existing Battle Royale DVD is region free, I'll sell it and get the double disc version.