The Eye, Ringu 2, Dark Water, and Ju-On: The Grudge

Oh two more things, anyone seen Suicide Circle? You just can't get it here, and I want to see it..

And Ali (and Amman, and anyone else that wants to come!), come over to the UK in August and come to the frightfest with me and a few friends! I can buy your ticket in advance for you, as I'll be going in to get decent seats the first day they're on sale. You could pay me back when you get here.. It's £100 for 4 days of pure horror/transgressive films :cool: Last year's line-up:

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/perl/search.pl?LABEL=2003&SORT=SORT

We had a fucking great time, you know you wanna come! :D

Russell said:
Oh two more things, anyone seen Suicide Circle? You just can't get it here, and I want to see it..
Suicide Circle is an excellent film! I simply love it. Great both visually and storywise with a Japanese popstar trying to sing in English, it doesn't get any better :).

Russell said:
We had a fucking great time, you know you wanna come! :D
Yes, I do know I WANT to come :).

Unsumed said:
Suicide Circle is an excellent film! I simply love it. Great both visually and storywise with a Japanese popstar trying to sing in English, it doesn't get any better :).

Yes, I do know I WANT to come :).
1.Now I want to see Suicide Circle even more :( If you have any idea where I can get a copy, online stores or anything please can you let me know?

2.The offer stands, I can't vouch for a place to stay, but I can get a ticket for you the day they go one sale :)

Is Suicide Circle the one which opens with 50 schoolkids jumping in front of a moving train, in some kind of weird suicide pact? It's been released in the US (on video) and here it's called Suicide Club:

53m.jpg

JayKeeley said:
All four Japanese films represent some of the finest movie making I've seen in recent times. I only point them out to you because I understand that ALL FOUR will be remade by Hollywood with the obligatory glossed-over American shiny happy look with glitzy actors. It's just mainstream shite for mall crowds, and they'll all get loads of marketing and snazzy trailers.

Honestly, don't watch the remakes (at least not until you've seen the originals) - ESPECIALLY Ringu 2. Fucking Ringu was horrific & demented (and I watched it when it first came out before any hype), and Ringu 2 is just a complete mindfuck. It is quite awkward just to watch, not because it's gory, but just because it's twisted. The fact that Naomi Watts is doing the US sequel (The Ring 2) means it will be nothing like the Japanese sequel.

Dark Water (directed by Hideo Nakata, who also did Ringu 1 & 2) and The Eye are just beautiful films (although I don't think The Eye is technically Japanese), and Ju-On: The Grudge is horrific, but it's slightly difficult to follow so I'll need to see it again. Either way, it was done really well, and Rue Morgue magazine (the best horror mag on the shelf) voted it as scariest movie of 2003. (Best movie went to May).

Of course, non-horror films like Ichi the Killer and Battle Royale will never be remade, thank goat. And if they were, it would be in name only.
It really is a shame Hollywood feels the need to re-make these films and completely destroy them. Still its nice to see that people are seeing the originals before these lame remakes come out. I wish I had people like this at my forum.
Oh yeah and 'The Eye' is from Hong Kong.

A good place to buy these movies if your player can handle region 3 movies is www.dddhouse.com. Direct from Hong Kong and cheap as hell. I get between 10-20 DVDs from them every few months and never had any troubles.

Oh, and The Eye is probably my favorite out of all these new "spooky" Asian movies. There's a couple of scenes that literally had me jumping out of my seat ("Get out of my chair!!" :))!

Lee_B said:
A good place to buy these movies if your player can handle region 3 movies is www.dddhouse.com. Direct from Hong Kong and cheap as hell. I get between 10-20 DVDs from them every few months and never had any troubles.

Oh, and The Eye is probably my favorite out of all these new "spooky" Asian movies. There's a couple of scenes that literally had me jumping out of my seat ("Get out of my chair!!" :))!
There's a link on the Elitist page to Layoyo.com (dvdshelf). Is that a good place to shop?

Nope, fraid not :) Saw Zatoichi the other day tho, very different from the "normal" Kitano, but well worth seeing :)

Is Chaos worth getting? And let me kno about Ju-On 2 as well when you've watched, I just got a tax rebait and need to spend it on something :D

Anywho, time for me to slip into a coma I thinks. Bizarre!

I wouldn't pay big money for Chaos. It's the kind of movie that gets ruined after seeing it once. The mystery disappears :).

I'll let you know about Ju-On 2, but I'm guessing it won't beat the TV-versions.

My next purchase will be Ringu: Saishuu-shô (Ring: The Final Chapter). The 12 episode TV-series based on Ringu :D. I have to complete my Ringu collection.