The secret to Tool's "Lateralus"

Toolmanjpc said:
Just taking a look at this board, saw this message and felt i needed to post here..

I am a huge Tool fan, admittidly too much of a fan i think... but i wouldnt want it any other way. Because of Tool, I have read things i never would have read, draw things i never would have drawn, learn things i never would have learned, and found other great music i otherwise would not have found. (Like Opeth!)

Anyhow, one thing missing here about Lateralus, is not only are the DRUMS arranged according to the fib. sequence... Maynards lyrics are too (by syllabal. (coincidence? i think not)..... Think about it.

Black (1) Then (1) White are (2) All I see (3) in my infancy (5) Red and yellow then came to be (8) Reachin out to me (5) Lets me see (3)

This pattern repeats throughout the entire song... every single line breaks into a fibb number. Just a little more to add to the brilliance of this album.

I may add there is also a theroy on the name of the album, one that some here will surly look at as overanalyzed, but errily interesting to those with an open mind. Someone did some research into Lateralus... breaking the name down into elements (La Te Ra Lu S) and researching the latan meaning of the element roots. Turns out a rough translation comes out to mean "Underground in the light of Paris lies the door to Hellfire". Means nothing right? Well, turns out Tool wrote most of this album in a Paris studio near the Renns de la Cheateau.... A church with a very interesting, and dark story behind it that is frequently mentioned in the Tool newsletters and explained deeply on Danny Careys website.

Hope that enhances your listening pleasure.

hey thats's scary! :ill: wow

danny carey doesnt say that the album is not arranged in that format... but in the magazine section, im not sure which one, but he talks about the writing of lateralus. In that, he says it was funny how it worked out because the way they recorded everything was how it came out on the album. There is no stupid secret order, even though it would be sweet if there was. I remember seeing on the tool website about an email written to blair about the secret order. He posted some ridiculously vague response from which nothing can be drawn from. I just dont see this fucking sequence. However, the vocals in the beginning seem to be 1,1,2,3,5,8.. which is cool.

And yes, tool is the shit.

SPLASTiK said:
They’re responsible for introducing a level of hilarious faux-satanic mysticism to pop music that we haven’t heard since Hotel California by the Eagles. Their crimes against humanity have not gone unpunished, though; they’re forever cursed to have an unbearable fanbase, terrible haircuts, and videos so gloomy that they verge on hilarious. If you’re a Tool fan and disagree with my summary, feel free to keep your worthless trap shut for once in your whining, self-involved life.

Well said. I'm curious about Hotel California, which is one of my fav. songs, anyone care to expand/explain this?

Tool is the most boring band.
They sound worse than Dream Theatre (ducks for cover)

Most don't.

Tool were better back when they were playing artsy grunge, before the pretentiousness. Undertow was pretty good.

Tool were better back when they were playing artsy grunge, before the pretentiousness. Undertow was pretty good.

Hehe. I like Ænima.

That's the thing, I actually love Tool and believe that people should read between the lines, not take things at face value, think for themselves... everything that tool tries to communicate... but people who post stuff like this just have too much time on their hands.

Well, you can like whatever you want.

But when Tool is cited as the greatest band ever, someone has to die.