THE SHRED THREAD

Oct 25

exmortep919.jpg

For me that link opens up as a crotch shot of some guy holding a guitar :yuk:

Is playing other guitarists solos considered flattery or just copying.
Being the expert guitarist I am :p I've always wondered if copying a person's solo is like copying a signature. Not to say these people aren't good guitarists and I'm sure they can play the rest of the song, but solos often seem to be referred to as a trademark of a particular person. People can pick guitarist by the solo when you have bands like Dark Angel or Exodus etc where multiple guitarists often swap solos during a song. Solos sometimes seem to become attributed to a person over and above the song itself. Does that make the solo any more important than the song? Or is it more of a tribute to copy someone's signature because it makes it easier to compare you to the original?

Questions to ponder throughout the day :p

Reactions: redfly
Yeah realise that and I wasn't actually picking on him in particular I was just pondering over breakfast.
I don't know that many shredders these days, well not that many that I sit down with like I used to, but years ago it seemed like everyone who could pick up a guitar thought playing Ozzy was good but copying Randy Rhodes solo was better, or playing Van Halen was okay but to show off you'd rip an Eddie solo. The more complex the solo the better the player. My cuz spent several years doing a Hendrix teeth solo and behind the head solo when he was a teenager because people thought it was something worth seeing. To me after I'd seen it once and knew he could do it I wanted to know what else he could do, not if he could make it sound like Jimi did.

Reactions: Neptune
For me that link opens up as a crotch shot of some guy holding a guitar :yuk:

Is playing other guitarists solos considered flattery or just copying.
Being the expert guitarist I am :p I've always wondered if copying a person's solo is like copying a signature. Not to say these people aren't good guitarists and I'm sure they can play the rest of the song, but solos often seem to be referred to as a trademark of a particular person. People can pick guitarist by the solo when you have bands like Dark Angel or Exodus etc where multiple guitarists often swap solos during a song. Solos sometimes seem to become attributed to a person over and above the song itself. Does that make the solo any more important than the song? Or is it more of a tribute to copy someone's signature because it makes it easier to compare you to the original?

Questions to ponder throughout the day :p
I think it's flattery and just personal challenge. And also helping with technique.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Even if I could play I'd chose neither. There is already too many things with my name on it floating around the net, I don't need to advertise :)

Reactions: redfly