The SINGLE best Opeth solo?

Rawr said:
The first solo in Windowpane.. Watching Lamentations probably brought me to this choice, seeing Mikael completely losing himself in the music, in combination with the crowd cheering just gives me goosebumps..

Sorry for double-posting. The look on Mike's face whenever he plays live is awesome; the way he gets so involved in the piece. Windowpane inspired me and my friends so much we covered it at a school dance gig we did. Singing it took me to a higher plane, and we saved some unenlightened souls who'd never heard of Opeth.

westknife said:
someone needs to stop being 14 and learn how to not gobble sperm

Whoa I missed this? Too bad he's banned now or I would've typed a nice reply :erk:.

Missed oppurtunity for yet another pointless argument:erk: I gotta say, either Serenity Painted Death at 3:15 or Master's Apprentices, the big riff at about 8:53 and including the buildup. I just feel like growling everytime I hear it:)

Hmmm, this is a TOUGH question...

There are several that spring to mind for me. Both of Mike's solos in A Fair Judgement are excellent, Mikes solo in Deliverance also sends chills down my spine. TGC has an awesome solo, and the solo work in Windowpane has the most perfect tone heard this side of David Gilmour. I don't rate Peter on the same level I rate Mike, but his solo from When is also very appropriate.

However, if I were to pick ONE solo... just one, as a personal favourite... it has to be Godhead's Lament. The way it just flows so fluidly, and leads bang into that glorious melodic vocal passage... it gets me, every time. That solo was the first time I realised Mike was my favourite metal guitarist.

It is Mike, right? It definately sounds like him... if it's Peter I'm gonna look like a total ass now :p

I'm with daz436. There's a really strong feeling of completion and sincerity during the last solo in AFJ. Especially that pedal-point right toward the end.

I seem to be one of the few people i know who adores all of The Funeral Portrait's solos. If i had to choose one.. it'd be the outro solo. I just think they're brilliant.

But yeh.. i love the solo for moonlapse vertigo too.