The Sixteenth Six-Tooth Son of Fourteen Four Regional Dimensions (Still Unnamed)

Dazed and Brutal

Yall About to Witness
May 16, 2006
Winterless New Jersey
What bands do think have established a sound so different yet so metal. A band that has left a mark as a Avantgarde essential.

Demilich is one band that has placed in odd riffs, that fly all over the place and quickly change times. Though this could be easily past off as technical death, I see very little connection to the riffage in Demilich to bands such as Anata, or Psycroptic. Also, the vocals are pretty self explanatory in terms of different.

I actually just got Lykathea Aflame and yea well, the guitar work has a retarded amount of elements, but I've only listen to it twice so I'm in no place to really review yet.

But basically Discuss about the most groundbreakingly (?) original bands (Thergothon, Demilich, etc.)

Sigh, Kadenzza, I also wanna say Unexpect, they arent ground breaking, but they have a avant-garde/death metal sound to it, especially there new album which i enjoy.

most people here cant tell the difference between real innovation and being weird for the sake of being weird so i doubt youre gonna get much out of this thread

that said: later gorguts

Spectacular Views said:
most people here cant tell the difference between real innovation and being weird for the sake of being weird so i doubt youre gonna get much out of this thread

that said: later gorguts

Yea I'm expecting some retard saying, "MESSHUGGAH is so cool and different and wierd."

MasterOLightning said:
Demilich is pretty much just death metal.

Nobody said they were anything else. They are, however, pretty damn unique. If you don't understand this then you need new ears.

Cythraul said:
Nobody said they were anything else. They are, however, pretty damn unique. If you don't understand this then you need new ears.

I do believe that SV was trying to state that Demilich isn't death metal, which would mean he needs new ears as well.
All that aside, I don't think this thread was intended to be about bands from traditional genres that sound different (i.e. Mercyful Fate is a very unique sounding traditional metal band), but rather about eccentric, eclectic, genre bending metal.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I do believe that SV was trying to state that Demilich isn't death metal, which would mean he needs new ears as well.

What? Where the hell did he say that?

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Right there. It's on page #1.

How do you infer that he was trying to maintain that Demilich isn't a death metal band just from that comment? For all you know he was objecting to the statement on the same grounds that I was. After all, there are a couple things that could be meant by "Demilich is just a death metal band."

MasterOLightning said:
Demilich is pretty much just death metal.

In that they completely and perfectly embody everything death metal should fucking mean...however, they are truly progressive and experimental.

Cythraul said:
How do you infer that he was trying to maintain that Demilich isn't a death metal band just from that comment? For all you know he was objecting to the statement on the same grounds that I was.

yep