The Sports Thread

Really, I don't see why Torre put him into a tie game on the road. What a waste.

The closer is the guy who's supposed to come into the game when you're winning by one or two runs in the 9th, if you're not familiar with the term.

Who else did the Yankees have? Joba already went in. If Vizcaino was their next choice well they were screwed anyway.

Well, if he'd put in Viz after Joba and he'd still given up the go-ahead run (which you can't really assume he would have), then the game would have had the same result without having to use Mo for two innings. I would rather have seen Torre risk it with Viz and gamble that the Yankees could get a run across before the Indians, then he'd have had Mo.

He also could have used (ugh) Farnsworth. Or Ron Villone- oh, wait! Villone was left off the postseason roster for some reason in favor of Jose Veras! Who the fuck knows? It's not like Villone is that great or anything, but he's servicable and Veras fucking blows. Not to mention he was the only halfway reliable lefty in the entire bullpen, and now they don't have a single lefty reliever. That's made even more infuriating since it was Travis Hafner who killed the Yanks last night.

It just seems to me like, once Pettite was pulled, everything went to shit. That's when the Indians started getting more hits, and more RISP and all that good shit. It always seemed like no matter what the Yankees did, the Indians were right there about to win the game.

Well, if he'd put in Viz after Joba and he'd still given up the go-ahead run (which you can't really assume he would have), then the game would have had the same result without having to use Mo for two innings. I would rather have seen Torre risk it with Viz and gamble that the Yankees could get a run across before the Indians, then he'd have had Mo.

He also could have used (ugh) Farnsworth. Or Ron Villone- oh, wait! Villone was left off the postseason roster for some reason in favor of Jose Veras! Who the fuck knows? It's not like Villone is that great or anything, but he's servicable and Veras fucking blows. Not to mention he was the only halfway reliable lefty in the entire bullpen, and now they don't have a single lefty reliever. That's made even more infuriating since it was Travis Hafner who killed the Yanks last night.
If the Yankees had scored in one of those innings that Mo pitched, you would be hailing Torre now. As is he prolonged a game for two whole innings. As you said the Yankees have poor relievers, especially lefties, so those two innings would have been much harder to come by without him.

We can't forget what an amazing job my man Fausto did though

It just seems to me like, once Pettite was pulled, everything went to shit. That's when the Indians started getting more hits, and more RISP and all that good shit. It always seemed like no matter what the Yankees did, the Indians were right there about to win the game.

From a pitching perspective, the game had gone almost ideally for the Yankees. If every goes perfectly, it's Pettitte for seven, then Joba for the 8th and Mo for the 9th.

Pettitte being pulled in the 7th was, in my eyes, not the best move, but not a bad one. I think he should have been allowed to pitch to at least one more hitter, but you can hardly question Torre for brining in Joba Chamberlain, who dominated from the moment he was called up this season.

The real problem started when Joba had to pitch with a cloud of flying ants in his eyes. This is where Torre first dropped the ball, as he should have had the game stopped until the bugs cleared out a little bit (which the grounds crew and the umpires knew wouldn't take too long). Normally I hate delays of any kind, but stopping the game on account of swarms of bugs hindering play is not unprecedented, and it probably would have been done if Joe had asked. Sucks that is happened that way, but bad luck like that happens. They should have hit better, then it wouldn't have been a big problem.

If the Yankees had scored in one of those innings that Mo pitched, you would be hailing Torre now. As is he prolonged a game for two whole innings. As you said the Yankees have poor relievers, especially lefties, so those two innings would have been much harder to come by without him.

Why would I be "hailing" Torre for using Mo with a one run lead...? That's automatic. If the had scored in one of his innings, he would have just had to pitch the next one. I'm going to hail Joe Torre for creating a situation where Mo had to pitched three or more innings in the second game of the playoffs?

From a pitching perspective, the game had gone almost ideally for the Yankees. If every goes perfectly, it's Pettitte for seven, then Joba for the 8th and Mo for the 9th.

Pettitte being pulled in the 7th was, in my eyes, not the best move, but not a bad one. I think he should have been allowed to pitch to at least one more hitter, but you can hardly question Torre for brining in Joba Chamberlain, who dominated from the moment he was called up this season.

I think they should have let him finish off the 7th tbh. But I'm not managing the Yankees so who am I to say anything.

On a side note, the Cubs suck.

I think they should have let him finish off the 7th tbh. But I'm not managing the Yankees so who am I to say anything.

Yeah, he had been pithing out of jams all night. And one thing I know about Pettitte is that he'll work as hard as the Yankees need him to, and then some, so I'm sure he'd have been happy to finish it, no matter what. As it turned out, Joba got out of it without letting any of the runners score, so it worked out fine. It was the damn 8th that was the problem.

On a side note, the Cubs suck.

They do. The Yanks may be in some deep, deep shit, but at least I can smile at the rape of the Cubs.

Haha true that.

I need to figure out a team to root for next season so I can learn their rosters and shit and understand all the baseball lingo. Prolly help me enjoy the game more. What team to pick...hmm.:err:

Rutgers is going to lose again. :mad: Ray Rice hasn't been doing shit lately, and Mike Teel has been playing like he was last year, namely inconsistent as fuck.