The Sports Thread

Haha true that.

I need to figure out a team to root for next season so I can learn their rosters and shit and understand all the baseball lingo. Prolly help me enjoy the game more. What team to pick...hmm.:err:

Anyone but the Red Sox. Seriously, people talk about the Yankees having a big band wagon, but it's not like the one Sawx have. I knew this guy in high school, born around Philly, Phillies fan his whole life. 2004 happens, and the next March, fucker's wearing a Red Sox cap.

I'll be at the game tomorrow. I'm dreading it. I keep saying they'll grow some balls and stave off death for at least a day, but I don't know. Clemens doesn't even have to be that good. We just need the ghosts to come out and wake up the bats.

I don't understand why any of you want the Cubs to lose unless you have been fans of Arizona (which is not more than one person here. maybe.). So many of you want to see the Cubs fail and choke. You must not understand how painful that is for the people who follow the team on a day to day basis. Basically no one living has ever seen the team win. I don't know about any of you (especially you East Coasters), but I like to see the underdog win. The Yankees always win. That's why I hope someone else wins. I was glad when Boston finally won, but now they're just as bad as the Yankees with their massive payroll and loaded roster. But now I hope Cleveland wins. When was the last time a team from Cleveland won anything?

I just feel really bad for all the Cubs fans who may not have anything great going on in their lives who were really hoping that they would do it this year. You can't tell me anyone in Arizona cares about that team the way Cubs fans care for theirs. I say this because you don't have people who grew up watching that team with their dads, who watched the team when they were a kid with their dads. There's no generational bond. My grandfather died last year and never saw them win, and my dad had cancer all summer and died before the end of August. I was hoping he would make it to the end of the year, that maybe we would see the Cubs do it. We were not the closest two people, but we always bonded over the Cubs, and when he was dying we would watch every Cubs game we could together. That was probably the last thing we talked about. It hurts when people root against the team. I have a bunch of idiot White Sox fan friends, and they mercilessly root against the team, and they have no idea how painful it is when the Cubs lose after coming so far. If they had won this year it would have been a very emotional experience, but it will have to wait. They have a good team that will be competing next year too. Whenever the Cubs do win, it will probably be the heaviest emotional experience of my life, and it will carry a lot more with it that just elation. I'm sure I'll just sit and cry for an hour or two. It is very meaningful for many, many fans on multiple levels. There are many sorry individuals who can't begin to comprehend this. A majority of the White Sox fans just live on the Cubs' failures. They just don't get it.

Many have the misconception that all Cubs fans are Wrigleyville yuppies who go to the park to meet girls and drink. The fans who actually care for the team have been priced out of the park. They can't afford to go to more than a game a year.

I've never liked Arizona, so I hope the Cubs win.

On the topic of dedicated fans though, the Giants always seemingly fill up the park, but that was probably because of Barry... we'll see next year though. But the Giants, while in San Francisco, have never won a series either. Hopefully they'll have a good shot next season.

And sorry about your dad, I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago.

Anyone but the Red Sox. Seriously, people talk about the Yankees having a big band wagon, but it's not like the one Sawx have. I knew this guy in high school, born around Philly, Phillies fan his whole life. 2004 happens, and the next March, fucker's wearing a Red Sox cap.

If Indy had a team that would make this easy. How the hell can Missouri have two teams, and Indiana not have one? Who the fuck lives in Missouri?

I've never liked Arizona, so I hope the Cubs win.

On the topic of dedicated fans though, the Giants always seemingly fill up the park, but that was probably because of Barry... we'll see next year though. But the Giants, while in San Francisco, have never won a series either. Hopefully they'll have a good shot next season.

And sorry about your dad, I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago.

Cubs got swept.

:erk:

Which would exlain MoL's mental breakdown.
I generally do not talk about my personal life on this (or any) forum. And I'm not surprised, or even super upset, that the Cubs lost. But the totally unwarranted hate for the Cubs I encounter here and other places just baffles me to no end. I don't like that people enjoy our pain so much.

No, it's not "just a game".

@ MasterOLightning.

First, I don't actually hate the Cubs, but I would really like to see a team go 100 years without a WS, and the Cubbies are the closest to the century mark. Hey, I would have loved for it to be the fuckers in Boston, but that ship has sailed.

Second, I appreciate what you're saying about being a Cubs fan, and how hard it is, how much pain it causes, and so on. I assure you, though, that there are fans out there with just as much passion as Cubs fans, and we hurt just as much as you do when our teams lose. Yes, even Yankee fans. People are openly hostile to us every chance they get, they rub is mercilessly in our faces when the Yankees lose, they hate us even more when the Yankees win, no one gives our good players the credit they deserve. It hurts to see the Yankees struggle because to lose is probably even more humiliating for us than it is for you. No one is going to feel the least bit bad for us if they lose, no one is going to be happy for us if they win. Win lose- people are going to shit all over us either way. The expectations are so high when you're a Yankee fan, that anything other than winning the whole thing is an embarassment.

Other than that, though, being a Yankee fan is pretty fucking sweet. I've seen my team win the WS four times, and I'm getting all fuckin' antsy over here because it's been like seven years what the fuck.

Look, I hope the Cubbies win the series in 2010. I know that's past the 100 year mark, but they can't win it in '08 because that's the last year of Yankee Stadium, and they can't win it in '09 because that's the first year of new Yankee Stadium.

I've seen my team win the WS four times, and I'm getting all fuckin' antsy over here because it's been like seven years what the fuck.
This negates everything else you've said. Seriously. I appreciate what you're saying but shut up and quit pretending you have it bad. Your team competes every year, and presumably this will continue because you buy the best players available, and you somehow turn up better minor league talent than several other teams. Even when you lose you can wave 20-something championships in their faces. No one else can. You are spoiled. Imagine what it would be like to be a Pirates fan, or Phillies fan, or Indians fan. It is a far different mindset.

This negates everything else you've said. Seriously. I appreciate what you're saying but shut up and quit pretending you have it bad. Your team competes every year, and presumably this will continue because you buy the best players available, and you somehow turn up better minor league talent than several other teams. You are spoiled. Imagine what it would be like to be a Pirates fan, or Phillies fan, or Indians fan. It is a far different mindset.

A.) I never said we "have it bad", I said it can be tough because we take a lot of shit. Case in point: You.

B.) My team competes every years because the ownership is more dedicated to winning than every other team out there.

C.) This "buy players" nonsense is old, tired and fucking stupid. Like we're supposed to feel bad about picking up free agents, which is an essential part of building a winning club? If you think "buying players" is wrong, never root for Alfonso Soriano ever again. Don't act like the Cubs are poor or some shit.

D.) I'd rather be "spoiled" than root for the "loveable losers". The point of sports is to win, by the way.

"As of 2007, only five teams (all of them expansion) haven't won a pennant: the Colorado Rockies, Seattle Mariners, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Texas Rangers and Washington Nationals."

I was about to say, I thought the Cubs were one of the more popular teams in the MLB. They should let Cuban own that bitch, they'd prolly do better.

edit: I decided I'll just root for my home team. Go Marlins! :erk: