The Sports Thread

I think it makes no difference in my life my degree of sports fanaticism. The rewards of being a sports fan are meaningless in the scheme of things, while the cons give you unwarranted misery. When I shut off the game last night, I went and read a book, which was much more rewarding than just finishing watching the game, which only benefit is proving that you're a true fan, which is essentially taking pride in supporting a competition with trivial implications.

I think you are missing the point. All you seem to be is a casual fan who happens to jump on the hometown bandwagon when your team is doing something good, any other time you don't give a shit. I don't really consider you a fan at all, but it doesn't matter. The point in playing 9 innings, or 4 quarters in a football game is because there is always time to come back and win. The game isn't over until that 9th inning is done, or the time runs out in the fourth quarter. Take for instance the AFC Championship game where "your" Pats were kicking the Colts ass 24-3 at halftime. Colts ended up coming back and winning the game. Which happened to be one of the greatest games in the history of the NFL. I honestly would have felt like a fucking idiot for turning that game off at halftime to realize what happened later on. Or like how the Sox came back from 3 games down in '04. Which was amazing. You just can't automatically rule something out like that.

That's just my opinion.

edit: If you want to be philosophical about it, everything is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Zeph, it seems like you just want to gloat and talk shit when your teams win, but you're "blocking" yourself from getting it back when they lose. Really, I don't hold being a "casual" fan against someone, but if you're going going to sit here and say that you don't care that they lose, that you're not emotionally invested in the team, then why do you seem so into them when they win or are about you play? You're always coming in here with all this "GO SOX!" stuff, talking about how great they are, calling them to win it all, yadda yadda, and yet now that they're in a tight spot you say you don't care.

I mean, I guess none of that really matters. But I think it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths- and rightly so- when "fair weather" fans talk shit.

Zeph, it seems like you just want to gloat and talk shit when your teams win, but you're "blocking" yourself from getting it back when they lose. Really, I don't hold being a "casual" fan against someone, but if you're going going to sit here and say that you don't care that they lose, that you're not emotionally invested in the team, then why do you seem so into them when they win or are about you play? You're always coming in here with all this "GO SOX!" stuff, talking about how great they are, calling them to win it all, yadda yadda, and yet now that they're in a tight spot you say you don't care.

I mean, I guess none of that really matters. But I think it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths- and rightly so- when "fair weather" fans talk shit.

I apologize if that's how you're taking it.