The Sports Thread

I don't think you understand just how much I dislike them at the moment.

Your powers of deduction are amazing. What tipped you off? Was is the fact that I reference being a Yankee fan in every other post in this thread or my irrational hate for the Red Sox?

LMAO....You're irrational hate for the Red Sox actually. I didn't even see you mention the Yankees previously.

Don;t be jealous. There's always next year. Too bad you're probably losing one helluva coach. :)

LMAO....You're irrational hate for the Red Sox actually. I didn't even see you mention the Yankees previously.

Don't be jealous. There's always next year. Too bad you're probably losing one helluva coach. :)

Haha, it was tough to be not jealous of Sox fans this year. It seemed like everything always worked out for them. Normally I try to give credit where credit is due, but I was thinking I might just be a full-on hater for the WS.

Indeed, the Yanks have the potential to be either much better or much worse next year. And Torre is officially gone, actually.

I have no idea. I haven't followed baseball since the early/mid 80's. I was serious, do the AL pitchers still not hit?

No, they don't. It's better that way. It's also never, ever going to change in either league.

Anyway, the NL has pretty much been an orgy of mediocrity for the past few years. No real strong teams.

So do the NL pitchers still get at bats, or have they changed that to match the AL?

I only favor the NL because I grew up a big time Padres fan. I really had no idea if one was better than the other.

Does this mean the Rockies don't have a chance?

I'm kind of worried about the Rockies. It will be hard for the Sox to beat them. I'm not all too confiedent about the World Series.

The Pats, on the other hand, keep on proving how good they are. The only game they can lose is the one against the Colts. There is even no way the Steelers can beat them; they will beat the Steelers by at least 21 points.

I'm kind of worried about the Rockies. It will be hard for the Sox to beat them.

The Pats, on the other hand, keep on proving how good they are. The only game they can lose is the one against the Colts. There is even no way the Steelers can beat them; they will beat the Steelers by at least 21 points.

I hope the Rockies beat them down good!

...and I wouldn't mind if the Patriots lost all the rest of their games. Not gonna happen, though. They are on track to score so many points this season. It's madness. I think Brady is already close to breaking his own season record for TDs, and it's only been less than half the season.

So do the NL pitchers still get at bats, or have they changed that to match the AL?

Yes, the NL pitchers still have to bat, and the AL uses the DH. It's very unlikley that either league will change. The Players Association will never let the AL drop the DH and the owners will never let the NL adopt it for the same reason: Money.

The DH "position" is one that is almost always held by one of two types of players: Big, veteran power hitters who can still hit but are too old to play the field, and younger power hitters who are simply not good at playing the field.

For the older guys, like Jim Thome and Frank Thomas, it extends their careers, whereas if there was no DH, they'd have to retire or become pinch-hitters because they just can't field anymore. Then you have younger guys like David Ortiz and Travis Hafner who are great power hitters but poor fielders. Their bats are good enough so that their teams are willing to let them do nothing but hit. The only guys who are going to get the regular DH job are the ones whose bats are good enough to justify them only playing "half the game". In other words, guys who command a lot of salary.

DH is a very highly paid "position", and I think it may be the highest paid position, simply because the only guys who are going to be allowed to become regular DH's are guys that get big contracts, anyway. The players association won't let the AL drop the position that extends the careers of vets, and gives one-tool mashers a "position" to play, and that pays a lot.

The owners won't let the NL adopt the DH for pretty much the same reason. They don't want to pay those guys. Also, the DH creates more offense (power hitting) in the game, which gets fans attention, and the AL like that, while the NL likes being different and being able to call their style the "pure" game.

I only favor the NL because I grew up a big time Padre's fan. I really had no idea if one was better than the other.

A lot of people prefer the NL style of play. There seem to be cycles where one league is stronger than the other, and in recent years the AL has been much stronger. In a few years that will probably reverse itself. As far as I know, no one has been able to come up with a reason for it.

Does this mean the Rockies don't have a chance?

Certainly not, but all season there did not appear to be a single team in the NL that could go toe-to-toe with an AL powerhouse like Boston. However, the Rockies played like a team possessed throught September and the playoffs. The won 14 of their last 15 games and swept the first two rounds of the playoffs, so it would appear that they are incapable of losing. However, since they swept the NLCS and the ALCS went to game 7, the Rockies have been off for about 8 days, I think. A layoff like that can be poision to a team that's hot. On the other hand, they've had time to rest and get their rotation set up the way they want it.

This WS is real tough to call. I think we'll know after the first game if the Rockies stand a chance of winning.

Good analysis TIACN.

I think this will be a close and well played WS. I just think the Red Sox are too powerful to lose it. I am trying to keep my optimism in check though. I am calling Sox in six, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 or 7 games depending on how hot the Rockies managed to stay.