The Sports Thread

Mathiäs;6630266 said:
The Steelers have lost to two average teams, AZ and Denver. They haven't really beaten a good team yet.

And there is no way they have a chance against the Pats or Colts

Mathiäs;6630291 said:
So? They've slaughtered them like good teams do to the bad. They will be in the superbowl with the Pack (who has the defense to shut them down)

The Steelers have a ways to go before they get back to the bowl

The first four posts after my first post that wasn't me were stupid.

Do have a response to these posts? Or are you content with just calling them stupid?

1) I never said the Steelers were going to beat anybody. I said they weren't going to lose by 21 fucking points.

2) The Patriots did not "slaughter" the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are a good team. I said they've slaughterd bad teams. And with the way the Pats are playing now compared with how the Steelers are playing, it's perfectly conceivable that they could get blown out like that.

A lot of people prefer the NL style of play. There seem to be cycles where one league is stronger than the other, and in recent years the AL has been much stronger. In a few years that will probably reverse itself. As far as I know, no one has been able to come up with a reason for it.
The best theory is that GMs only spend what they need to to compete in their league. When there are very strong teams in one league, the other GMs need to spend enough to convince the fanbase that they are trying to compete in the league. In the softer league, it takes less of a financial commitment to convince the fans that the team will compete. Thus, there is an imbalance in signings.

Example, in the NL East, in markets roughly as large as those in the AL East, spending was way less because a massive payroll was not necessary to compete. Free agent signings could be second tier, and this would be suitable for the competition. For a team like Toronto, the only chance they had to sell any tickets would be to sign expensive free agents to appear to be competitive. The Mets, Phillies, or Braves didn't have to make splashy moves to believe they were in the hunt.

Also, I'm guessing NL teams were more likely to trade away young talent to win now because getting to the WS seemed more within reach in a softer NL. In the AL, fewer teams were in striking distance, and there were probably more sellers. The NL, with more middle of the pack teams, had more buyers.

The best theory is that GMs only spend what they need to to compete in their league. When there are very strong teams in one league, the other GMs need to spend enough to convince the fanbase that they are trying to compete in the league. In the softer league, it takes less of a financial commitment to convince the fans that the team will compete. Thus, there is an imbalance in signings.

Example, in the NL East, in markets roughly as large as those in the AL East, spending was way less because a massive payroll was not necessary to compete. Free agent signings could be second tier, and this would be suitable for the competition. For a team like Toronto, the only chance they had to sell any tickets would be to sign expensive free agents to appear to be competitive. The Mets, Phillies, or Braves didn't have to make splashy moves to believe they were in the hunt.

Also, I'm guessing NL teams were more likely to trade away young talent to win now because getting to the WS seemed more within reach in a softer NL. In the AL, fewer teams were in striking distance, and there were probably more sellers. The NL, with more middle of the pack teams, had more buyers.

That makes a lot of sense. Particularly the last part about NL teams trading to win now.

I'm arrogant for being annoyed that people say stupid shit?
We'll you are arrogant in general whether you like to admit it or not lol but who cares anyways...

I'd take Patriots -10
That would be a dream pointspread for me on NE this season but doesn't look like we'll see a Pointspread like that.. so far they have been around -16

Of course it could. And the Steelers could win by 35 points.
Not likely this season...

sure wasn't
My friend bet the Jags as Dogs without consulting me (we have a joint account with a online bookie) and of course they didn't cover... she couldn't get in contact with me so she made the decision to bet instead of skip the game... I would of bet the Colts to cover...

I really only payed attention to the last qurter or so. The Jags looked horrible. I mean, that QB couldn't do anything.
We'll could be because his ankle was sprained or something? :rolleyes: Don't think you would do good as well in that condition...

We'll could be because his ankle was sprained or something? :rolleyes: Don't think you would do good as well in that condition...

Didn't realize that. I don't really get ESPN. We have barebones cable that comes for like $1.50 with our internet service. It includes the broadcast channels, plus c-span and local access channels (2-22, 95-99). It just so happens that we can see ESPN (Ch 24), but the sound is just static. It's not a perfect picture, but it's just a little unsharp. So Monday nights I watch the game with no sound.

The Chargers play the whole AFC South division this year.