The Sports Thread

Sorry if I was born and raised in New England, and not that shit-stain called Indiana.

That has nothing to do with you liking the Patriots. I was born and mostly raised in Florida, but the Colts have and always will be my favorite football team. Besides, you aren't even a true fan, didn't we come to this conclusion a week or so ago?

And you can go fuck yourself for talking shit about a state you've never been to.

That has nothing to do with you liking the Patriots. I was born and mostly raised in Florida, but the Colts have and always will be my favorite football team. Besides, you aren't even a true fan, didn't we come to this conclusion a week or so ago?

And you can go fuck yourself for talking shit about a state you've never been to.
Are you saying that being from a certain area is not a good reason to be a fan of the team that represents it? Or that anyone who likes a team for that reason is a poser or bandwagoner? Did you decide to move to Indianapolis because of the Colts?

Are you saying that being from a certain area is not a good reason to be a fan of the team that represents it? Or that anyone who likes a team for that reason is a poser or bandwagoner? Did you decide to move to Indianapolis because of the Colts?

No, I'm saying just because you are from that area doesn't mean you are a fan by default.

Not that it matters, but I moved here with my parents.

so because the redsox have HUGE value in the market, that is what you base that on? ok makes sense, but i dont agree with it, cubs did the same but they sucked for many years, i think it is still the yankees.

You still don't get it. Market size is only part of it. There's no sense in brining up the Cubs because

A.) They do not have as a large market as the Red Sox,

B.) Share their market with another team, and

C.) As you said so yourself, haven't been very competetive over the past few years. Which makes me question why you even brought them up in the first place. What the fuck are you talking about when you say the Cubs "did the same"?

How could the Yankee possibly remain the "Model Franchise" when it is abundantly clear that the Red Sox orginization is better in nearly every facet of operation? This is why I'm so fucking stunned that you don't understand this. "Model Franchise" simply means that it is the standard of how a club must operate / build it's team in order to be competative. In other words, the strongest club that is best suited to win and not necessarily the club that has won most recently, as any reasonably intelligent baseball fan knows that the strongest club does not always win. For years that Yankees have been the standard. Now that Boston is clearly superior, they are the standard. Hopefully you'll get it this time so I don't have to repeat myself again.

People who only root for a team because it's the "home" team annoy me.

I don't think that should annoy you. I think that is the more pure form of fanhood. At least in my case it feels pure. I was born and raised in San Diego and I love the place. I grew up watching the Padres and Chargers with my granparents and my parents. My "allegiance" to these teams stems from a lot more than some arbitrary (team name or colors) or not so arbitrary (jumped on the bandwagon) decision.

I am not saying non-home-team fanhood is inferior, but I think that home-team fanhood should not be looked down upon.

I said that it annoys me if the ONLY reason you like the team from your area is because the team is from your area. Of course it's most likely that you're going to like teams from your area, since they will be the teams you're exposed to, but that's not the same thing. And Zephyrus' comment was suggesting that he likes the Patriots because he is from the same area. Which is irrational. I don't care for irrationality. I like teams based on their actual qualities as a team and the individuals that make up the team, not their proximity to my location, TBH.

There is no "right" reason to like a team. If people liked teams based on how good they are, then only a few teams would actually have any fans. I mention this, because on several occasions I have heard people proclaim that they are a fan of a certain team "because they're good." And that is no better than being a fan of the team from your area. Yes, I'm a Pats and Sox fan because those are the teams from my area, that I grew up watching. Nothing wrong with that. I base why I dislike certain teams on players or coaches I dislike, or rivalries.

I didn't anything about liking a team because they're good.

And no, I'm sorry, I disagree, liking a team because and only because they are in the area is a pretty piss-poor reason to like a team.

Because you like the players, the ethic of the team, the way the coach performs, etc. I like the Steelers, for example (even though they're in western PA and I'm in central NJ), because they have a long history of steadfast, hardnosed, well-coached, defensive football with an emphasis on ground game and intelligent and reserved quarterbacking. This is indicative of the coaches and players that they choose to be a part of their organization, which has much to do with the fact that the Steelers have been under the ownership of the Rooney family for countless years, and their sports ethics are spotless, which I greatly respect.

Fair enough. I can agree with some of that. Ironically, I would hate the Pats if I didn't live in New England. Why? Because they are so dominant, the coach is somewhat of a deceitful hardass, and I'm jealous of the quarterback because every chick wants him.