The Sports Thread

Don't try to take away the fact that the Chargers beat their opponent. It wasn't just (or necessarily) the Colts playing bad, it was the Chargers playing good. The Bolts defense pressured Manning and stopped the Colts drives. Even with all of the things that went against the Chargers, they still beat the Colts. They did what it took to win, and the Colts could not do what they needed to do to win against the Chargers. You can say what you like about the regular season game between these two teams, and I will agree with much of it, but nobody is going to take this victory away from the San Diego Chagers. This defeat for the Colts is not at all like last year when the Chargers gave the game away to the Pats and had ONLY themselves to blame. It was a competitive game.

Looking forward to next week, I am less confident of the outcome. I do believe that if the Chargers have everybody playing, that they can make it a game, and even win. I would love to avenge our playoff loss from last year. But the Patriots are just very very good.

Man, how about a Giants/Chargers superbowl? That would be an anticlimactic season for all those generic football fans, eh? I think that would be a beautiful thing!

So KR, how do you feel about the future of the head coaching position/situation for the colts next year?

Listen man, I'm not taking anything away from the Chargers. They won, and if you recall what Nec and I argued about a while ago about "the best team," the Chargers were indeed the better team yesterday. The win says it all. I hope the Chargers go and beat the Pats, so good luck to them is what I say.

Personally...I love Tony D. I mean, he brought a Lombardi trophy to Indy. This towns first championship in...well ever. He'll always be respected here for what he's done. But ultimately, I want a new coach. We saw the limits of Tony's football philosophies and mentality he brings to the Colts. He got them to the mountain top last year, but being 0-3 with a first round bye in the playoffs just isn't going to cut it. Especially when the Colts have been arguably the most dominant regular season team in the last 5 years. I don't like how he rests starters at the end of the season. I think back in 05, if they had actually tried, they could have been undefeated, and all this talk the Pats are getting this year would merely be looked at as copy cat play. He took the Colts and made them a really solid, mentally strong team. However, some of the stuff he does just gets to me. Take for instance the Marvin Harrison situation. It was pretty clear that he wasn't ready to play, and that his knee was more hurt than they let us believe. Harrison should have been IRed when he got hurt so that they wouldn't even have had to worry about it. Missing 11 straight games, then coming back andyour first game is a playoff? That is just asking for disaster. So that one is on Tony and Bill Polian. The offense would have been fine without him. Anthony Gonzalez was playing like there is no tomorrow, so I think the receivers would have been fine. The thing that pissed me off most was the fact that Harrison didn't even finish the game, when they needed him the most. :rolleyes: Another thing I think Tony is guilty of is not sticking with the run game, and using it effectively. I love Addai, but he is not an every down back. And for the love of god, cut Kenton Keith. He can't catch for shit. They need to go back to what they did last year. Back splitting time 50-50 or 60-40. My last beef with what Tony and Bill have been doing is this. I think they are putting way too much responsibility on Manning. I mean, Tom Moore is the offensive coordinator, but everyone knows Manning runs the offense. So why have him? They need to either fire him and use the money they were paying him to find some good players, fire him and hire another coordinator to actually do the job (dont like that idea).

If he does retire, I'd like to see the Colts hire someone outside the organization to bring a little change.

^Yeah, I didn't really read through that "best team" debate. But I appreciate the props.

I think Dungee is great. I also think Schottenheimer is great. I hated losing him. But maybe there is something about them that makes a difference when it comes down to the end of the season and the playoffs. I am glad Manning and Dungee and the Colts had that Superbowl victory, but I agree with you that it is possible that some slight change is needed. I didn't want to believe it after the Chargers 14-2 season, and I doubted Norv Turner for much of the season, but he is now making the Chargers a great team and is winning playoff games.

Good luck next year!

The next time anybody says anything to the effect of guaranteeing a Super Bowl victory before the fucking conference championships have even occurred yet, or if you refer to the team that you enjoy most as 'my' or 'our' or 'we' or any other noun that attempts to include yourself into the equation, I'm going to abuse my mod powers to delete your ANNOYING FUCKING POSTS. And this seems to be mostly Patriots fans, big surprise there.
Pats 19-0 baby!!!!!!!!!!

;)

On second thought, maybe I should keep the posts so I can tell all of the Patriots fans to eat a dick when they lose.

I may have to fall back on the ambiguous wording of the constitution on this one in order to get done what I believe needs to be done.

dude KING RICHARD one month ago you said dungy was the best coach in the nfl. now you're saying you want him gone?

I agree the play calling in that game was ridiculous. they totally abandoned the run. I still cant believe they lost. Talk about not showing up. The chagers even with Rivers and LT are average. but losing to them without? I wonder what that says about the Colts. The thing that surprised me the most was their defense - they didnt really bring it either. But, the Colts are clearly a better team - they just lost to the better team in that day.

a few weeks ago you said my whole "better team doesnt always win" argument was bullshit. i hope now that your team is out of the playoffs you see what i was talking about. i dont think for two seconds you would say the chargers are a better team than the colts.

The Chargers are by no means an 'average' team. If they didn't get off to a slow start, nobody would know the god damn difference.

The next time anybody says anything to the effect of guaranteeing a Super Bowl victory before the fucking conference championships have even occurred yet, or if you refer to the team that you enjoy most as 'my' or 'our' or 'we' or any other noun that attempts to include yourself into the equation, I'm going to abuse my mod powers to delete your ANNOYING FUCKING POSTS. And this seems to be mostly Patriots fans, big surprise there.

Yup! One game at a time.If the Chargers can pull off a victory like they did at Indy, with thier injuries and what I think were many calls going against them,then anything can happen? I just think the Pats have everything in thier favor going into this game and think they will win.
Is this ok to say or is it TO FUCKING ANNOYING?

Actually your grammar annoys me more. I, as most people I'm sure, think the Patriots will win as well, but then again I'm sure most people thought the Colts would have beaten the Chargers and the Cowboys would have beaten the Giants. That's what's great about the playoffs.

dude KING RICHARD one month ago you said dungy was the best coach in the nfl. now you're saying you want him gone?

I agree the play calling in that game was ridiculous. they totally abandoned the run. I still cant believe they lost. Talk about not showing up. The chagers even with Rivers and LT are average. but losing to them without? I wonder what that says about the Colts. The thing that surprised me the most was their defense - they didnt really bring it either. But, the Colts are clearly a better team - they just lost to the better team in that day.

a few weeks ago you said my whole "better team doesnt always win" argument was bullshit. i hope now that your team is out of the playoffs you see what i was talking about. i dont think for two seconds you would say the chargers are a better team than the colts.

In wake of the Colts loss i'm not sure if King Richard can think to say things clearly right now?
The "better team argument", if the Colts play the Chargers 10xs Colts probably win 6 maybe 7xs? Though lets not forget the talent that the Chargers do have on both sides of the ball...they just got off to a slow start this year.I don't think talent wise they are that far behind the Pats or Colts.Maybe they don't have the depth or coaching of the Pats & Colts? Bottom line they were the better team yesterday.

Actually your grammar annoys me more. I, as most people I'm sure, think the Patriots will win as well, but then again I'm sure most people thought the Colts would have beaten the Chargers and the Cowboys would have beaten the Giants. That's what's great about the playoffs.

Indeed.Love this time of year...you get a bunch of mini- superbowl games.
What is it with my grammar,i'm not trying to be annoying?