The Sports Thread

I can't see anyone taking him, to he honest, simply because of all the baggage that comes with him. He doesn't really seem tradeable to any NL team and I can't see anyone in the AL taking him. And of course, if they Giants did it, the could pretty much say goodbye to the idea of having fans comes out to the ballpark.

With the exception of a few individual players, the Yankees are really fucking pathetic this season. Absolute fucking horseshit let-any-shithead-on-the-mound-stick-it-up-their-fucking-ass, incapable of throwing a fucking strike, phoning it in, 11.5 back, third place, under .500, led gloves, groundout happy, lazy, don't-give-a-shit-about-winning, swing-at-fucking-everything, $200 million dissapointment bucket of pig puke to ever take the fucking field. They make me so fucking mad that I can't even see straight.

The fact that the get royally fucked over by umpires on a regular basis only makes it that much more frustrating. The fact that they suck on their own isn't good enough, the ump's need to fucking help the other team. Clemens throws it right down the fucking middle- no shit, down the fucking middle- to Barry "Pfizer" Bonds and it's a ball? Bite my dick.

With the exception of a few individual players, the Yankees are really fucking pathetic this season. Absolute fucking horseshit let-any-shithead-on-the-mound-stick-it-up-their-fucking-ass, incapable of throwing a fucking strike, phoning it in, 11.5 back, third place, under .500, led gloves, groundout happy, lazy, don't-give-a-shit-about-winning, swing-at-fucking-everything, $200 million dissapointment bucket of pig puke to ever take the fucking field. They make me so fucking mad that I can't even see straight.

The fact that the get royally fucked over by umpires on a regular basis only makes it that much more frustrating. The fact that they suck on their own isn't good enough, the ump's need to fucking help the other team. Clemens throws it right down the fucking middle- no shit, down the fucking middle- to Barry "Pfizer" Bonds and it's a ball? Bite my dick.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

^^^^^^^ is why I love TIACN.

umps actually do a very good job

everybody in the history of baseball says they get screwed by the umps when in reality, the umps make 100 great calls for every 1 call they screw up.

And if you want perfection, the only thing you can do is get machines instead of humans, or install instant replay into the games which will make the games about 3-3.5 hours long instead of just around 2 hours 40 minutes - 3 hours long

umps actually do a very good job

everybody in the history of baseball says they get screwed by the umps when in reality, the umps make 100 great calls for every 1 call they screw up.

And if you want perfection, the only thing you can do is get machines instead of humans, or install instant replay into the games which will make the games about 3-3.5 hours long instead of just around 2 hours 40 minutes - 3 hours long

Some are good, but home plate umps especially are very inconsistent. So damn annoying.

I'm not expecting perfection.

IR would be a good idea for game-changing plays.

Some are good, but home plate umps especially are very inconsistent. So damn annoying.

I'm not expecting perfection.

it's annoying because you ignore the close calls your teams get and focus on the close calls that your team does get. People (and especially passionate fans) have very selective perception, on top of that they expect to get every close call throughout the course of nearly every game.

I used to be the same but then I just looked at things objectively and unemotionally, and then you realize umps do a fine job making so many difficult calls/

IR would be a good idea for game-changing plays.

agreed

it's annoying because you ignore the close calls your teams get and focus on the close calls that your team does get. People (and especially passionate fans) have very selective perception, on top of that they expect to get every close call throughout the course of nearly every game.

I used to be the same but then I just looked at things objectively and unemotionally, and then you realize umps do a fine job making so many difficult calls/

No, as a fan I get annoyed when an ump screws either side. I want to see a fair game.

Dave, you are missing the big point here, and that is bad umpiring can have a huge impact on the game, and that is wrong. The occasional blown call at first or a bad strike-two call every once in a while isn't that big a deal, but when a guy walks due to horrible ball / strike calling and then scores a key run, or a guy is erroneoulsy called out and ends a bottom of the ninth, one down rally that and it costs his team the game, that's bullshit and ruins the game.

Not to harp on the Yankees getting screwed, but since I watch them everyday, most of the bad calls I see involve them. The Yankees were down a run or two against the Angels in the bottom of the ninth with two on and two outs with a full count on Bobby Abreu, and the pitch was in the other batters box, yet was called stike three. Abreu did everything right by not swinging (he would not have been able to reach it, and if by some fluke he had managed to make contact, it would have been an out, or maybe foul) and yet he was called out and they lost the game. It is very, very wrong when the outcome of a game is decided by bad umpiring.

Of course, the umps were bad in general this whole series, for both sides, but it just happened to work out for the Giants today, since the home plate ump decided that the Yankees would not be throwing any strikes ever. How was it (I want to say Klesko) who hit that grounder to Jeter, who made a high throw that pulled Cairo off first, and he was called out anyway? That was probably the only horrendous call I've seen work in the Yankees favor all season (and yet they still lost).

Dave, you are missing the big point here, and that is bad umpiring can have a huge impact on the game, and that is wrong. The occasional blown call at first or a bad strike-two call every once in a while isn't that big a deal, but when a guy walks due to horrible ball / strike calling and then scores a key run, or a guy is erroneoulsy called out and ends a bottom of the ninth, one down rally that and it costs his team the game, that's bullshit and ruins the game.

Not to harp on the Yankees getting screwed, but since I watch them everyday, most of the bad calls I see involve them. The Yankees were down a run or two against the Angels in the bottom of the ninth with two on and two outs with a full count on Bobby Abreu, and the pitch was in the other batters box, yet was called stike three. Abreu did everything right by not swinging (he would not have been able to reach it, and if by some fluke he had managed to make contact, it would have been an out, or maybe foul) and yet he was called out and they lost the game. It is very, very wrong when the outcome of a game is decided by bad umpiring.

Of course, the umps were bad in general this whole series, for both sides, but it just happened to work out for the Giants today, since the home plate ump decided that the Yankees would not be throwing any strikes ever. How was it (I want to say Klesko) who hit that grounder to Jeter, who made a high throw that pulled Cairo off first, and he was called out anyway? That was probably the only horrendous call I've seen work in the Yankees favor all season (and yet they still lost).

honestly, I am EXTREMELY skeptical when I hear stories like this. Although I haven't watched any of the yankees games, so I can't quite comment on that. However, what I can say is that I have seen probably thousands of baseball games and I don't think I have ever seen a team get intentionally screwed out of any game. Sure, there have been major calls that were wrong that significantly impacted the game, but that's human nature man. I don't have to tell you the the speed of the game when it's 95 mph fastball coming in the blink of an eye. It's unrealistic to expect these guys to be perfect. They make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes come in critical situations. These men, in general, are extremely well trained and perform very well the overwhelming majority of the time. This is what I have witnessed the majority of games I have watched. I cannot comment on the yankees this year simply because I don't watch them very often.

the only solution is like I said

1)have robots/computers instead of human umpires
2)have an instant replay system for the 2 or 3 of the game's biggest plays

as long as you continue to employ hun beings, you are going to continue to see mistakes and some of those mistakes will happen at critical times in the game. This is the nature of the beast, it's better to accept it than try to fight it.

the only thing that is sometimes frustrating is when an ump gives a relatively larger strike zone to 1 starting pitcher than the other. This is something I have seen on rare occassion however, and I have the sneaking suspision it's more due to selective perception and looking for a scapegoat than anything else. You can't expect umps to give you close calls when your previous 3 pitches were 10 feet out of the zone, you know?

honestly, I am EXTREMELY skeptical when I hear stories like this. Although I haven't watched any of the yankees games, so I can't quite comment on that. However, what I can say is that I have seen probably thousands of baseball games and I don't think I have ever seen a team get intentionally screwed out of any game. Sure, there have been major calls that were wrong that significantly impacted the game, but that's human nature man. I don't have to tell you the the speed of the game when it's 95 mph fastball coming in the blink of an eye. It's unrealistic to expect these guys to be perfect. They make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes come in critical situations. These men, in general, are extremely well trained and perform very well the overwhelming majority of the time. This is what I have witnessed the majority of games I have watched. I cannot comment on the yankees this year simply because I don't watch them very often.

the only solution is like I said

1)have robots/computers instead of human umpires
2)have an instant replay system for the 2 or 3 of the game's biggest plays

as long as you continue to employ hun beings, you are going to continue to see mistakes and some of those mistakes will happen at critical times in the game. This is the nature of the beast, it's better to accept it than try to fight it.

the only thing that is sometimes frustrating is when an ump gives a relatively larger strike zone to 1 starting pitcher than the other. This is something I have seen on rare occassion however, and I have the sneaking suspision it's more due to selective perception and looking for a scapegoat than anything else. You can't expect umps to give you close calls when your previous 3 pitches were 10 feet out of the zone, you know?

First off, you would be wrong to be "extremely skeptical" about either of the examples I gave, since they both happened. Second, no one is saying that ump's need to be perfect. They do, however, need to not be absolutley, off the wall, batshit insane wrong, though. If one ump's clearly erroneous decision has greater impact that the actions of the players on the field, then that umpire should be penalized in a public and significant manner. Currenty, if for some reason, an umpire is suspended or fined, it is done so quietly and away from the public eye. If a player is humiliated publicly for making a mistake (weather it be an error or a failed drug test), so should an umpire.

First off, you would be wrong to be "extremely skeptical" about either of the examples I gave, since they both happened. Second, no one is saying that ump's need to be perfect. They do, however, need to not be absolutley, off the wall, batshit insane wrong, though. If one ump's clearly erroneous decision has greater impact that the actions of the players on the field, then that umpire should be penalized in a public and significant manner. Currenty, if for some reason, an umpire is suspended or fined, it is done so quietly and away from the public eye. If a player is humiliated publicly for making a mistake (weather it be an error or a failed drug test), so should an umpire.

I would never punish an ump for a mistake they made unintentionally and in good faith. Maybe send them somewhere to get more training to become better umps, but that's about it.

D

I'm not sure but I think that was Klesko. Bullshit. Luckily we were already winning.

I think the umps were equally horrendous the entire series. Also, there is some of sort of the coup against Barry this year. There have been some absolutely atrocious called third strikes on him.

These last two All-Star games have actually been pretty good. Having two managers like Leyland and LaRussa, who both actually want to win the game for the sake of beating the other league, managing it almost like a real game was pretty cool.

Anyone see, in the 9th inning there, after Leyland pulled J.J. Putz and K-Rod came in and started walking guys, they showed Leyland in the dugout fucking screaming "OH, COME ON! GOD DAMN IT!". I really hope the Tigers win the AL again this year (I mean unless the Yankees sell their souls to Satan again and somehow win it, which they probably won't). I really can't wait until next years ASG at Yankee Stadium. Hopefully I'll get tickets.

Also, when Jorge Posada hit that double, there was an audible "Hip, hip... Jorge!" chant in the stand. Fucking sweet.