The Sports Thread

My thoughts almost exactly, but sub "Red Sox" for "Yankees".

Of course, the Yanks will probably still have to see him at least once this year, thanks to a guaranteed six games against the Mess (not a typo). But, if he couldn't come to the Yanks, I'm glad he jumped to the NL.

The changeup as well as coming from AL to NL in general, simply faced better lineups in the AL.
I thought the Yanks would do anything to get this guy and surprised and happy they did'nt. Was hoping the Red Sox would land him and add to an already very good rotation but...NY teams needed Santana more.

Mathiäs;6916937 said:
Yanks are becoming smart by not destroying their farm system

Indeed, I like that Hank is letting Cashman run the team. There are a lot of good looking arms in the farm system, and obviously some talented young players already on the team (Cano, Cabrera, Hughes, Chamberlain, Wang when he feels like it).

Out of Chamberlain, Hughes and Kennedy, the Twins wanted two of them for Santana. The Twins also called the Yankees right before finalizing the trade to the Mets, this time asking for Kennedy, Wang and Alan Horne (minor league reliever, supposed to be hot shit). Two years ago, the Yanks would have made either one of those deals in a heartbeat. No doubt about it. I like that they are actually considering the future now.

I agree to a point.
We know paying Santana is not a problem and I'm sure they would not have traded all of thier good pitching prospects, who knows. The fact that he is only 28, he will probably live up to a costly/lengthy contract, unlike a Kevin Brown or Randy Johnson.

edit; Kennedy, Wang and Horne? I make that trade in a second.
None of them will probably ever be as good as Santana who is probably a future HOF givin his satus and age.

edit; Kennedy, Wang and Horne? I make that trade in a second.
None of them will probably ever be as good as Santana who is probably a future HOF givin his satus and age.

Kennedy and Wang for Santana would be a no brainer. I'd jump right on that. I imagine Horne was the deal-breaker. I don't know his stats, but apparently the Yankees are very high on him, and they're obviously going to need a closer very soon. The fact that the Twins wanted him for Santana also tells me he's got potential, since the Twins have such a good reputation when it comes to scouting.

Kennedy and Wang for Santana would be a no brainer. I'd jump right on that. I imagine Horne was the deal-breaker. I don't know his stats, but apparently the Yankees are very high on him, and they're obviously going to need a closer very soon. The fact that the Twins wanted him for Santana also tells me he's got potential, since the Twins have such a good reputation when it comes to scouting.

I hear ya. Though, Chamberlain (unless they plan on starting him), seems like he could be a dominant future closer, so why worry about losing Horne? The Yanks future has always been about right now while maintaining a good farm system. Adding an ace like Santana would have scared this Sox fan for sure.

They sure fucked the dumbass Giants over some years ago...Pierzynski for Liriano, Nathan, and Boof Bonser. Sabean is a moron.