The Sports Thread

What the fuck is a choke.

Well, I suppose my interpretation of "choke" (as it relates to sports) is different from how most people interpret it, but generally a team or player is said to have "choked" when he / she / they fail when it really, really counts after having performed well previously. Like if you have a pitcher in baseball who dominates all year, then in the playoffs he gets hammered, you might say that he choked. If he did it all the time, he'd be a choke artist. It's like the opposite of clutch.

I interpret is a little differently, though. I interpret it as meaning that a team / player has failed to perform in a high pressure situation that was previously unfamiliar. For that reason, I would not call the Patriots loss a "choke", because they have "been there", and one could assume that it wasn't being afraid or nervous that caused them to lose. Now if next season, the Cardinals or the Texans or one of those other doormat teams went like 14-2, then made it to the Superbowl and got stomped, I would call that a choke, since it would seem to have been the pressure that got to them.

But, most people think of it the other way.

Well, I suppose my interpretation of "choke" (as it relates to sports) is different from how most people interpret it, but generally a team or player is said to have "choked" when he / she / they fail when it really, really counts after having performed well previously. Like if you have a pitcher in baseball who dominates all year, then in the playoffs he gets hammered, you might say that he choked. If he did it all the time, he'd be a choke artist. It's like the opposite of clutch.

I interpret is a little differently, though. I interpret it as meaning that a team / player has failed to perform in a high pressure situation that was previously unfamiliar. For that reason, I would not call the Patriots loss a "choke", because they have "been there", and one could assume that it wasn't being afraid or nervous that caused them to lose. Now if next season, the Cardinals or the Texans or one of those other doormat teams went like 14-2, then made it to the Superbowl and got stomped, I would call that a choke, since it would seem to have been the pressure that got to them.

But, most people think of it the other way.

That's a very good explanation

PHOENIX -- I admire a good underdog story as much as the next guy, and the one featuring the New York Giants is extremely compelling.

They've also written a pretty nice comeback story, turning red-hot at the absolute right time -- the beginning of the postseason.

I like Eli Manning's transformation from underachieving No. 1 overall pick to consistent elite performer. I like Tom Coughlin's transformation from ultra-rigid drill sergeant to a coach who can listen as well as he dictates.

But I don't like anything about the Giants as much as I like the New England Patriots' chances of being 19-0 after Super Bowl XLII.

The Pats had the look of an NFL champion back in August, when I (along with many others) picked them to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy for a fourth time. They've since developed the look of dominance that has put them in a position to make history and go down as the greatest team in the history of the league … and one of the greatest in the history of sports.

Here are five reasons why the Patriots will achieve perfection on Sunday:

1. Tom Brady will perform at his best. His much-discussed ankle injury, suffered in the AFC Championship Game, won't be a factor. It didn't even show up on the Patriots' injury report, and he practiced all week. Brady's struggles against San Diego in the AFC title game were an aberration. Against the Giants, we will see the Brady who won league MVP by throwing 50 touchdowns. On Sunday, he will attack the middle of the field with slot receiver Wes Welker and tight end Benjamin Watson. Welker and Watson are fast enough to split safeties Gibril Wilson and James Butler and help open up the perimeter for speedy wideouts Randy Moss and Donte' Stallworth, with one or both reaching the end zone.

2. The Pats will be able to run the ball effectively. The most under-appreciated aspect of the offense is their rushing attack, which ranked 13th in the NFL. Laurence Maroney has come on as a major force in the postseason. Maroney is particularly successful running up the middle, behind center Dan Koppen and guards Logan Mankins and Russ Hochstein. He should continue to have that sort of impact in the Super Bowl in order to help slow down the Giants' pass rush and give the Patriots' offense some balance.

3. Brady will effectively use play-action against the Giants' aggressive defensive front. He is one of the very best quarterbacks in the league at reading the blitz, and quickly checking to hot routes. The Patriots will spread the field with four- and five-receiver sets and let Brady locate mismatches. Most everything that the Pats do on offense begins with Brady using play-fakes and attacking with short and intermediate passes. The quicker he gets the ball out -- especially on sideline routes -- the better his chances of keeping the chains moving and getting into a rhythm. And he will be able to do exactly that on Sunday.

4. New England should do a good job of handling the Giants' impressive one-two rushing attack of powerful Brandon Jacobs and speedy Ahmad Bradshaw. The Patriots did an excellent job of shutting down Jacksonville's rushing attack, one of the best in the NFL, in their divisional-round victory over the Jaguars. The Pats' run-stopping ability begins with nose tackle Vince Wilfork using his considerable lower-body strength and leverage to clog the middle and force runners to bounce outside to Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas.
New England's aging inside linebackers, 39-year-old Junior Seau and 34-year-old Tedy Bruschi, should be able to count on Wilfork to keep them free of blockers. The Giants will need at least two blockers to handle to Wilfork, and that should help provide freedom for ends Richard Seymour and Ty Warren, and the Pats' linebackers.

5. Once the Patriots have the Giants' running game under control, they will be able to confuse Eli Manning, or at least keep him off balance, by mixing up fronts and coverages. Although Manning has yet to throw an interception in the postseason, he should count on some pass-rushing configurations that he has never seen before and coverages that will cause him to hold the ball and/or take a sack, make a poor pass under duress, or entice him into making a bad pass.

Regardless of how they do it, a Patriots victory over the Giants will be the sort of achievement that can be admired for many, many years to come. That's because -- given the 35 seasons that have passed since the Miami Dolphins went 17-0 -- it will likely be many, many years before we see another perfect season in the NFL ... if we see another.

I expect the Patriots to write the final chapter of this incredible season with a blowout win. Final score: Pats 42, Giants 10.

- Vic Carucci

1972 dolphins :headbang:

BTW:

Because Bill Belichick wanted to go hide when he lost, the field ended up being flooded with people, and the officials had to clear the area before the Giants could take their final snap and make it official. When you lose, you take your loss. You don't leave early because it makes you feel sad inside. Your opponent deserves more respect than that.

Anyone remember in 2004 when Randy Moss left the sidelines with two seconds left in a Vikings vs. Redskins game? Moss was selfish, a baby, a quitter, didn't respect his teammates, and didn't respect the game. Belichick just did the same thing, but did it on the biggest possible stage, and did it from the position of a leader of men.

Maybe there's something to be said for the inability to lose well ... most great winners don't lose well, and a sore loser is still a loser.

But still, if you're an adult, you finish out the game, and you give your opponents the stage and the respect they deserve.
Yeah, Belichek did a dick move, totally unsportsman-like, he doesn't seem like the nicest guy in the world in his interviews, he's probably an asshole, but I'm just glad the Giants won and ended the Patriots winning streak, but I don't see either one of these teams in the Super Bowl, Patriots will get beat in the AFC Champiosnhip and Giants in the wildcard or Divisional Playoffs, I was glad to see Michael Strahan get his much deserved Super Bowl ring and expect him to retire.

If the Giants win, you will put a logo of both the Giants and Colts, and quote the following: "I love the Manning brothers."

If the Patriots win, I will put a Patriots logo in my sig followed by this quote: "The Patriots are the best team ever."

For one year. (both of us)
Ok. You won. You supply/give me a link to the pics I need to put in my sig, and I'll do it.

Cowboys had 3 in 4 years. :)

Eli Manning has shocked the hell out of me. Obviously the doubters, myself included, were wrong. While 19/34 for 255 yards isn't stellar, it was enough to win. I don't know how he did it, but he hasn't thrown a real interception in the playoffs, which is just shocking to me. This isn't the Eli that was in the regular season, this isn't the same Eli that we've ever seen. I don't know if he's as good as Brady or Peyton or even Romo, but he's certainly equal to them.
My only worry about Romo is if he can guide Dallas to the playoffs, even if he doesn't he's still one of the best in the game, I think he'll do it eventually, but don't get all pissed off when we gotta wait 10-15 years and he pulls an Elway.:p
He's really not as big a choke artist as people make him out to be, in fact I wouldn't call him one at all, shit happens, and thats been the story of his playoff games, not much you can do about a hell of a secondary covering your receivers on 4th down. Also I remember you said someone was open ont hat play send me a clip of that play somewhere, I'm not doubting you, I just didn't see anyone open on that last play of the Cowboys-Giants game.

Not like he's done much for us the past two years in the playoffs. I'm willing to give him a few more years, since he is young and still maturing, but if he doesn't get his shit together when it comes to crunch time soon I'm going to be leading the lynch mob.

lol racism.
Damn those first year quarterbacks and not winning the Super Bowl. I mean 30 points per game in your first full year as a quarterback? He must be the next Kyle Boller. God, I hate quarterbacks who set all your franchise records in their first full year. Let's just cut him now.

Guys calm the fuck down! Stop acting like a Giants fan and give Romo some damn time. It took Peyton 9 years to win a freaking Super Bowl. Manning went 3-13 his rookie season, and 13-3 in his second season as well (single greatest turn around in NFL history mind you). The Cowboys have shown the league they are a really good team and have the ability to compete every year for the championship. Just give them some time to develop even more and get there. Trust me, I've been through to enough. I mean, the Super Bowl probably wouldn't have felt nearly as good if there wasn't the memories of the past defeats like the loss to the Titans in '99, then losing to the Phins in OT in 2000 which that piece of shit Vanderjagt missed the first of many game-winning field goals. Then of course the year after in 2001, Edgerrin James tore his ACL and the Colts missed the playoffs. After the 2001-2002 season, the fired Jim Mora, hired Tony Dungy. He lead the Colts to the playoffs only to get blown out by the Jets 41-0. That was fucking horrible. FOURTY ONE TO ZERO! And here's the worst part, 2003 lost to the Pats in the AFC championship game, 2004 lost to the Pats in the divisional round, 2005 lost to the Steelers in the divisional round.

You have yet to go through a fraction of all that shit. So just calm down and enjoy the good shit Romo and the Cowboys are doing for you. If you don't enjoy it now, you'll never remember it and it won't be as sweet if or when they do win a championship.

Next year San Diego Chargers face the AFC East and the NFC South, plus the Colts and the Steelers.

Colts have AFC North, NFC North, The Chargers and someone from the AFC East.

Patriots play the AFC West and the NFC West, plus an AFC North and an AFC South opponent.

AFC-North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC-South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC-East
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC-West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers

NFC-North
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC-South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC-East
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC-West
Arizona Cardinals
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams

I have to admit that game was the worst NFL game ive ever seen. So overhyped and such a fucking let down. Cant believe I only got 3 hours sleep before work for that. Not only did I wanna see a team go undefeated for a season in my lifetime, but god......It was just so poor, and boring. Not to mention the half-time 'entertainment' being dreadful. I really hate Eli, jeez.

Rant over.