The Sports Thread

Unlikely. Curt Schilling is roaring back and our offense is showing a bit more life recently. This happened once before earlier in the year when the Yanks won 9 straight. Everyone jumped on their bandwagon that time and they promptly fell back to 12 games

chargers.gif

Unlikely. Curt Schilling is roaring back and our offense is showing a bit more life recently. This happened once before earlier in the year when the Yanks won 9 straight. Everyone jumped on their bandwagon that time and they promptly fell back to 12 games

Unlikley? Yes. Impossible? No. Everything is going for them right now, with the exception of Johnny Damon (who is a Boston spy). When they had that run a while back, guys like Matsui and Cano weren't hitting very well and Clemens wasn't pitching like he has been latley. And now we've got Phil Hughes coming back to take Kei Igawas usless ass out of the rotation. Probably the biggest thing is the bullpen, which has been looking pretty good latley, with the exception of Kyle Farnsworth.

Even though the Sox won the last two, it is evident that they have begun their second-half-of-the-season slump. By the end of the season, the Yankees will be in first place. Mark my words. One thing that may help the Sox a little bit from falling too far into suckdom is, when Schilling comes back, to replace that stiff Tavarez (who really really sucks) with Gabbard (who has been doing great filling in for Schilling). That would make for a slightly better lineup. Gabbard is much better than Tavarez, and deserves to take Tavarez's spot when Schilling returns.

We still have 15 more games against Tampa Bay. Lugo, Crisp and Drew are hitting. It's not going to happen.
I hope it doesn't. But the Sox almost always really do stink it up in the second half of the season.:erk: And as I said, if they get rid of Tavarez and replace him with Gabbard, it will turn some would be losses into wins right there.

The Yankees also have a pretty favorable schedule for the rest of the year, including a probable win in hand (the suspended game in Baltimore. They were up 8-6 in the 8th with Jeter on 2nd when it was stopped, so they should probably go on to win when they resume the game) save for a pretty brual stretch in August: three against Cleveland, seven against Detroit with four at Comerica, three against Boston and three in LA.

The LA series could be a tough one. The Boston series is, as always, a toss up. They usually do well against Cleveland and Detroit, too... of course, Detroit hasn't been this good in a while. The Yankees dominated them last year, but they have improved quite a bit since then.

Have you picked a bandwagon to jump on for the playoffs? If the Yankees don't make the playoffs (which of course is likely), I figure I'll root for the Tigers to win the AL (despite Mr. Sheffield) and the Brewers to win the World Series.

If the Indians get in I'll go for them, as I lived near Cleveland for a while. The Brewers are my second choice.

If the Yankees don't make the playoffs (which of course is likely)
I thought you're super confident that the Yankess will catch the Sox to win the division? I'm a Sox fan, and even I feel this will probably happen, since the Sox always start to play like shit in the second half of the season, and have been showing signs of this already. If the Sox don't make the playoffs, I don't know who I'd root for.