The Sports Thread

I thought you're super confident that the Yankess will catch the Sox to win the division? I'm a Sox fan, and even I feel this will probably happen, since the Sox always start to play like shit in the second half of the season, and have been showing signs of this already. If the Sox don't make the playoffs, I don't know who I'd root for.

I wouldn't say I'm "super confident", really. I look at the standings and the schedule, and I see that the Yankees can come back. Being a Yankee fan, confidence in the teams abilty to do great things just sort of comes naturally to me. I think they can do it, I hope they can do it, but I know enough to realize that it's a huge longshot.

That said, crazier things have happened in the history of these two teams.

Yes. Like, for instance, when the Red Sox came back to win the ALCS after being down 0 games to 3. That was the first time in history that had ever been done. And Ironically, the year before the Yankees came back from behind to defeat the Sox in game 7 or the ALCS.

Indeed, the Boone homerun in '03 was incredible. When Boone came up, I thought "No way in hell is he getting on base here", so I went upstairs to change my clothes or something. As soon as I got into my room, I heard all the yelling from downsatirs. That's right, I walked away from the TV right before the Boone homerun.

'04 ALCS... Well, as a baseball fan, I think that was an incredible moment for the game. As a Yankee fan, I think it's the most horrible thing that's ever happened in the history of the world. Ever. Games 4, 5 and 6 all made me want to puke. I punched a hole in my wall after game 6. Game 7, of course, was a blowout pretty much from the get-go, so I was pretty emotionally numb.

chargers.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/23/coolbaugh.dies.ap/index.html

Associated Press said:
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Tulsa Drillers coach Mike Coolbaugh died Sunday night after being struck in the head by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box during a Texas League game with the Arkansas Travelers, police said.

The game was suspended in the ninth inning after Coolbaugh was struck by a hard-hit foul ball off the bat of Tino Sanchez and taken to Baptist Medical Center-North Little Rock.

Phil Elson, spokesman for the Travelers, said Coolbaugh was struck by the ball on the right side of his head, or on the forehead -- "I'm getting conflicting reports," he said -- and fell to the ground immediately.

According to a report posted on the Drillers' Web site late Sunday, Coolbaugh was knocked unconscious and CPR was administered to him on the field.

Sgt. Terry Kuykendall, spokesman for North Little Rock police, said Coolbaugh was still alive when he was put in an ambulance for the trip to the hospital, but stopped breathing as the ambulance arrived at the facility.

"They tried to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead at 9:47 p.m.," Kuykendall said.

Coolbaugh played 44 games in the major leagues over two seasons, his last appearance with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2002. The Drillers' web site said Coolbaugh joined the Tulsa team's staff on July 3.

The Travelers, an Angels affiliate, led 7-3 at the time the game was suspended with no outs and a runner on first in the top of the ninth inning. Officials said a date and time for finishing the game had not yet been chosen.

Tulsa is a Colorado Rockies' Double-A affiliate.