The Sports Thread

This.
He may draft the best player available, at a position they need to be filled. If he just drafted the best player and didn't worry about what they needed, they would be a pretty sorry team.

Right now the Packers have no blatant holes. So, drafting the best player only adds to their depth on the bench (they already have a lot). By doing this he prepares for the future. For example, this year I think he'll draft a couple of guards, a cb, a linebacker to challenge Popinga, a qb, and probably some dt's.

So let's say he drafts for San Diego... He's going to take McFadden with the first pick this year? No, he may draft the best player, but he has to know that it's going to improve on the position. That's every GM, there's nothing special about the Packers' GM.

I would that they need a number 1 WR, because they have a lot of #2's who looked better with Favre. I think they need a good LB, and possibly a safety.
This year, though, none of these holes are in glaring need, so yes.. they're going to draft for the best player. But, like I said, they're not going to draft something they just absolutely don't need, like a QB, RB, or CB, in the 1st round even if they're the best player available.

Mathiäs;7029420 said:
Well considering the success he's had, I think he knows more about it than you do. The Packers are strong at every position. Of course they draft for need, but in later rounds. And I think the Pack will be get around 10-13 wins. Rodgers will start off kind of slow, but Grant will carry them until Rodgers finds himself. The only concern is his potential for injury.

I hope they draft Colt Brennan

Well, considering Ted Thompson has been the GM for only two years going on three, and the 2007 Packers that went 13-3 were mostly comprised of Sherman's guys, I don't think you can claim that Thompson is that great of a GM yet. We really haven't seen any of his guys come to fruition yet.

Drafting the best guy available just because he's the best isn't a very intelligent thing to do. None of the great GM's follow that philosophy.

The Packers won't be a contender next season. They'll lose the division to the Vikings. Probably have the second best record in the division and make the playoffs, but Favre retiring just strengthens the Giants and the Cowboys in my opinion. In all honesty, I could see them missing the playoffs if they don't win their division. The Saints are going to be better, and the Bucs probably won't get any worse.

Speaking of Colt Brennan, I can help but think he is completely overrated. He was good at Hawaii, but he didn't play any good teams. When they finally plaed George (a pretty decent SEC team) they were crushed 41-10 in the Sugar Bowl. He went 22/38 for 169 yds and 3 ints. I watched him pass in the senior bowl and he looked like crap too. The problem is this years draft isn't stocked with decent QB's.

I see it being Dallas, Minnesota, New Orleans (at 9-7 or 8-8), and Seattle winning the divisions with Philadelphia and Green Bay getting the wild cards. Of course, barring any major moves still left in FA and the draft.

Wow, no mention of the defending Champs eh? There are plenty of teams that could make the playoffs. The Cardinals are getting better. Though anytime I give them praise they screw me. The Saints (hopefully) will start off a bit better this coming season. The Bucs will still be pretty decent, and you cant forget about the entire NFC East division. There's going to be at least two out of that division in the playoffs I reckon.

Yeah, I know there are a lot that can make it, that's just my prediction of who will. I think the Giants caught lightning in a bottle and not to mention they lost 2/3 of their linebackers to FA. I don't see them repeating it, not with Philadelphia getting better with the addition of Samuel and there's no way they don't add a receiver in the draft, is there? I still think Dallas is better than New York, and I just don't see GB falling off that much without Favre. I might even see Washington get in before New York.

Well, considering Ted Thompson has been the GM for only two years going on three, and the 2007 Packers that went 13-3 were mostly comprised of Sherman's guys, I don't think you can claim that Thompson is that great of a GM yet. We really haven't seen any of his guys come to fruition yet.

Drafting the best guy available just because he's the best isn't a very intelligent thing to do. None of the great GM's follow that philosophy.

The Packers won't be a contender next season. They'll lose the division to the Vikings. Probably have the second best record in the division and make the playoffs, but Favre retiring just strengthens the Giants and the Cowboys in my opinion. In all honesty, I could see them missing the playoffs if they don't win their division. The Saints are going to be better, and the Bucs probably won't get any worse.

Speaking of Colt Brennan, I can help but think he is completely overrated. He was good at Hawaii, but he didn't play any good teams. When they finally plaed George (a pretty decent SEC team) they were crushed 41-10 in the Sugar Bowl. He went 22/38 for 169 yds and 3 ints. I watched him pass in the senior bowl and he looked like crap too. The problem is this years draft isn't stocked with decent QB's.

Actually, most of the Sherman guys are all gone. Because most of them were busts. I can't see the Packers missing the playoffs, either.

Yeah, I know there are a lot that can make it, that's just my prediction of who will. I think the Giants caught lightning in a bottle and not to mention they lost 2/3 of their linebackers to FA. I don't see them repeating it, not with Philadelphia getting better with the addition of Samuel and there's no way they don't add a receiver in the draft, is there? I still think Dallas is better than New York, and I just don't see GB falling off that much without Favre. I might even see Washington get in before New York.

the nfc isnt a very tough division, but no team in the nfc is complete as dallas so i can easily see them reaching the super bowl, i dont see the giants doing well either, i still think their season last year was a fluke

and packers will be good in 2 or 3 years, anybody thats seen rogers play can see that he's a diamond in the rough, i cant see him being a legend, but he will be a way above average QB in his prime

I don't know about a diamond in the rough. I mean it's not like he's a hidden talent. He was a first round pick and has had 3 years to sit and study the offense and opposing defenses. I think he'll be above average this year.

The only problem with Rodgers is his potential for injury (he's gotten hurt almost every time he gets in the game)

the nfc isnt a very tough division, but no team in the nfc is complete as dallas so i can easily see them reaching the super bowl, i dont see the giants doing well either, i still think their season last year was a fluke

I honestly think the Packers are more complete (minus the qb situation, obviously).

Obviously he won't last long if he keeps getting hurt, but I don't think it will happen. If the coaches play it smart he should be alright