The Sports Thread

This is not true. Dallas was better this year and Green Bay just got worse.
By the way, anyone hear that Dallas is interesting in acquiring Larry Fitzgerald?

Dallas was better the the first half of the season. They slowed down considerably during the second half and the Packers had a ton of injuries when they played each other

I can't see them losing 6 games with their schedule. Dallas, Indy, and Jacksonville could pose problems. Minnesota has no qb and won't be very good again.

Mathiäs;7032843 said:
Dallas was better the the first half of the season. They slowed down considerably during the second half and the Packers had a ton of injuries when they played each other
Dallas will only be better as they add a RB and a WR. Also, Jacque Reeves is a Texan now, which makes Dallas immensely better now.

They already have a great rb. Fitzgerald will help them tremendously though, I agree there, but the Packers have six receivers that would start on any other team

Mathiäs;7032846 said:
I can't see them losing 6 games with their schedule. Dallas, Indy, and Jacksonville could pose problems. Minnesota has no qb and won't be very good again.

Well, they also play Tennessee and Houston. Minnesota will be just as good, plus they just added Bernard Berrian. They're probably going to draft a QB in the first round, and they're running game is good enough to keep them afloat offensively. Chicago still has a top tier defense. I say they lose 5-7 games.
Not to mention, Rodgers is good, but he will have his growing pains.

Mathiäs;7032858 said:
They already have a great rb. Fitzgerald will help them tremendously though, I agree there, but the Packers have six receivers that would start on any other team

They have 6 number 2-4 receivers who looked a lot better because of where Favre could put the ball. Dallas needs a speed back to compliment Marion Barber, who can only carry the ball 20 times at most due to his style. They're talking to Warrick Dunn right now about filling that role.

Fitzgerald isn't guaranteed, they're just interested in acquiring him because Arizona has to trade him for cap reasons. The Eagles already offered them Lito Shepard and a 2nd rounder, though, so I don't know what it's going to take to get him.

If Dallas picked up Fitzgerald, they'd be scary on offense. They'd definitely have a clear advantage over the rest of the NFC if they draft another good running back and fix some of the holes in the defense. Otherwise, I still like the Giants to be the team to beat.

I'd like to see them draft Jamaal Charles or Felix Jones with one pick and Limas Sweed or Mario Manningham with the other. It looks more and more like they're going to sign Warrick Dunn to fill the 3rd down RB slot, though.
If we do that, and pick up one more quality nickleback I think we're by far the best team. I think the Giants were a fluke. They're only getting weaker this offseason, too. I think they win 8-9 games at the most next year.

The Fitzgerald thing is something to watch, but I don't really see it happening. I'd personally offer them a first rounder for him, you're not going to get much more than that and he's completely worth it from our stand point.

They won every game by close margins and Dallas and Green Bay both handed the game to them on a silver platter. New England blew so many opportunities in that game it was unreal. I never saw anything that was overly impressive about them except their pass rush. If you game plan for that, you can beat them.
Look at what Pittsburgh did a few years ago, they beat a 14-2 Colts team that was unbelievably close to being undefeated, along with 3 other division winners on the road. What did they do the next year?

They won every game by close margins and Dallas and Green Bay both handed the game to them on a silver platter. New England blew so many opportunities in that game it was unreal. I never saw anything that was overly impressive about them except their pass rush. If you game plan for that, you can beat them.
Look at what Pittsburgh did a few years ago, they beat a 14-2 Colts team that was unbelievably close to being undefeated, along with 3 other division winners on the road. What did they do the next year?

Doesn't matter how they won; they won. They beat 3 of the 4 best teams in the league last season, and did so with a bit of attitude. People always seem to forget that the Steelers went 15-1 the season before they won the Super Bowl. Their Super Bowl run wasn't a fluke, and neither was the Colts in 06.

I just don't see it. I watched them all year, almost every game including the playoffs. I just never saw where they were that great of a team. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see them being that good, especially after losing Torbor and Mitchell.

The race for the top spot in the east is very tight. Penguins, Canadians, Devils and Senators are all within 1-3 points. The Devils have been playing in a "hey let's do nothing on offense and have Marty steal a win for us" mode for the past 5 games.

Uh not the last game. :p

How exactly is it a fluke that the Giants steamrolled through 3 division winners in the playoffs (all on the road mind you) and beat an 18-0 team in the Super Bowl?

Didn't really steamroll through anyone...

Well, they also play Tennessee and Houston. Minnesota will be just as good, plus they just added Bernard Berrian. They're probably going to draft a QB in the first round, and they're running game is good enough to keep them afloat offensively. Chicago still has a top tier defense. I say they lose 5-7 games.
Not to mention, Rodgers is good, but he will have his growing pains.

Chicago's defense was terrible this year. They will be no better. Tennessee is a joke. Houston can be good if Schaub stops getting hurt, but they have Ahman Green, which guarantees at least 2 fumbles a game

Mathiäs;7034779 said:

Chicago's defense was terrible this year. They will be no better. Tennessee is a joke. Houston can be good if Schaub stops getting hurt, but they have Ahman Green, which guarantees at least 2 fumbles a game

Correction, Chicago's defense underachieved last year. I seem to remember a certain 35-7 beat down later in the year against someone, where almost all of the points were scored on defense. They played several good games other than that. They just signed back Lance Briggs, too. The continuity is going to help them be a lot better next year.

Tennessee is a joke? I'm sorry, didn't they make the playoffs in the AFC last year?

I don't think Green will be their running back by the time the season starts, and I don't think you can rely on Ahman Green fumbling the ball to win football games.

The Packers beat themselves that game. It was like they didn't want to be there. And yes, Tennessee is a fucking joke. Yes, they made the playoffs, but their stupid gm won't go out and sign any receivers for Young. They have one decent wr.

Mathiäs;7034779 said:

Well they only held the 3 best offenses in the league to a total of 51 points, which is an average of 17 points per game. GB averaged 27 points per game, Dallas averaged 26 points per game, NE averaged 31 points per game. That's a pretty good accomplishment for a 10-6, 5th seed team.

I specifically remember saying before the season started last year that Chicago's defense was a joke and wouldn't make the top 15 again; I was right. Chicago is going to be in a downward spiral for a while now. As for Houston, watch out for this team. They'll easily be above .500 and might even make the playoffs next season.

Correction, Chicago's defense underachieved last year. I seem to remember a certain 35-7 beat down later in the year against someone, where almost all of the points were scored on defense. They played several good games other than that. They just signed back Lance Briggs, too. The continuity is going to help them be a lot better next year.

Tennessee is a joke? I'm sorry, didn't they make the playoffs in the AFC last year?

I don't think Green will be their running back by the time the season starts, and I don't think you can rely on Ahman Green fumbling the ball to win football games.

Chicago's defense just isn't that good. They were very overrated in 06 when they made the Super Bowl.

Tennessee isn't a joke, I agree. Their defense is pretty solid, and so is their running game. The game my friends lies on the shoulders of Vince Young. He is just down right horrible.

Mathiäs;7035497 said:
The Packers beat themselves that game. It was like they didn't want to be there. And yes, Tennessee is a fucking joke. Yes, they made the playoffs, but their stupid gm won't go out and sign any receivers for Young. They have one decent wr.

Doesn't matter if they get Vince Young receivers, he is a horrible passer. All he does is rely on his running ability like he did in college. He's going to turn out just like Michael Vick.