The Sports Thread

well, hibernal_dream, if those childish remarks are all you got, you need to admit America is right.

Not really. I'd expect all you rednecks to prefer an artificial game with more rules than the Qur'an over a beautifully fluent game which developed naturally over thousands of years. After all, this is the land of McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Hollywood, Limp Bizkit and Las Vegas we're talking about.

you insult America, but you also decline to tell us what your nationality is, so are you embarassed?

and soccer is anything but fluent, i dont know if we are talking about the same sport here. when i watch it i see a guy inching his way down field with the ball until another guy starts running at him, in which case he lobs it over a team mate's head, making him run to make sure it doesnt go out of bounds, or maybe a guy will slide in an attempt to make a guy lose the ball, making the whole place (for god knows what reason) go wild. repaet for 120 minutes, maybe throw in a score or two, MAYBE. and thats soccer.

and soccer is anything but fluent, i dont know if we are talking about the same sport here. when i watch it i see a guy inching his way down field with the ball until another guy starts running at him, in which case he lobs it over a team mate's head, making him run to make sure it doesnt go out of bounds, or maybe a guy will slide in an attempt to make a guy lose the ball, making the whole place (for god knows what reason) go wild. repaet for 120 minutes, maybe throw in a score or two, MAYBE. and thats soccer.

Uhh... giving totally inaccurate descriptions of the game is really convincing no-one.

And why the fuck do all Americans think that scoring=excitement? Look at basketball, they a score every 5 seconds so no one really cares about it. Making it so difficult to score is what makes it so exciting, and it means defence is crucial.

Also in NFL if a team is leading by 40 points it's almost impossible to catch up in less than half the game because you need so many goals (touchdowns? lol). In football a 4-0 game (a large lead) can turn around in 10 minutes.

Uhh... giving totally inaccurate descriptions of the game is really convincing no-one.

And why the fuck do all Americans think that scoring=excitement? Look at basketball, they a score every 5 seconds so no one really cares about it. Making it so difficult to score is what makes it so exciting, and it means defence is crucial.

Also in NFL if a team is leading by 40 points it's almost impossible to catch up in less than half the game because you need so many goals (touchdowns? lol). In football a 4-0 game (a large lead) can turn around in 10 minutes.

a LOT of people down here like basketball, but im not one of them. and even if blowouts (for losing fans) arent fun, close football beats the hell out of soccer. becasue scores count more than one point, it makes it possible for a team to be down by 4 or something and need to make that tochdown to win in the closing moments, but in a game like soccer, you dont get that. and also, id like to see 8 goals be made in a game of soccer.

and why do you think defense doesnt matter in football? defensive struggles happen all the time. they eat your nerves up though. i think you need to put your difficulty on All Pro.

i will say that i respect the endurance of Pro soccer players though, going through all that running with VERY little subing.

Touche.

To be completely honest, I think both of you are fucking stupid for trying to compare two totally different games that happen to share the same name. You ever heard of a thing called "personal taste?" You know, that thing that differs from person to person, like taste in music.

Oh, and no one outside your shitty country cares about baseball either. Well, except the Japs who are like a crazy version of Americans anyway.

You know, I'm getting a little tired of having to school people on this. You may just be trying to start shit anyway, but I guess I'll bite: A third of the players in Major League Baseball are born outside of America. A third. Consider that the same goes for each of the six or seven minor league affiliate teams for each major league team, and the who-know's-how-many independent league teams.

Mostly we're talking about players from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Puerto Rico, as well as some from Panama, Mexico and Cuba. The sport is absolutley huge in those countries. So much that most major league teams have opened up "baseball academies" and put minor league affiliate teams all of Latin America because there are so many kids who want to play, and they might as well learn from MLB instead of one of the many pro-leagues down there. Hell, in Cuba it's practically the law to watch or play baseball. They like the sport more than we do.

You mentioned that it's popular in Japan (why you mentioned Japan and not all those Latin American countries, I don't know. Shit it seems like every other player in the league is named Martinez or Cabrera or Lopez or something). Yeah, the Japanese League is there, and there are growing programs in Korea, Taiwan and China. Oh, and I'll just stick this one in this paragraph, but there are quite a few Canadians who play, too.

There was an event called the "World Baseball Classic" held for the first time a few years ago, and there were teams from all of the places I mentioned (The Dominican team was pretty much a walking All-Star team) as well as South Africa, The Netherlands, Australia and Italy. Granted, all of those teams were a joke but damn it they were there.