The Sports Thread

Mathiäs;6447320 said:
Roberts needs to get traded or something. We have 5 or excellent outfield prospects, two of which are very fast and will play center field. Bruce Bochy is an idiot.

Seriously, if I could pick one player to erase from history, it'd be Dave motherfucking Roberts.

Roberts, on the off chance that you read this: Die.

1099232034_3054.jpg

Glorious

Are the Yankees actually in the hunt to get the Wildcard?

Yeah, but they went and lost two games to the Angles (not a surprise. The Angels have owned them for years), while the Mariners won, so they lost some ground in the WC race.

Just looked at tonight scores and the WC Standing. The Yankees did not play tonight and the Mariners beat the Rangers, so the Yankees are now 2 back in the WC race and, since the Red Sox were rained out, remain 5 back in the East.

They have three left to play against the Mariners (in New York) and six more against the Red Sox (three in New York, three in Boston), so they control their own destiny in each race, which is nice. It's going to be very tight, since Seattle and Boston both have very good pitching and the Yankees... well, let's just say it's not as good. If you want to talk about hitting, though, that's a different story.

For college football I like West Virginia, Ohio St., and Hawaii. (Dad went to WVU; lived in Ohio and Hawaii)

Wolves v Morecambe
Wolves will field on-loan keeper Graham Stack as Wayne Hennessey is rested, while Freddy Eastwood is expected to play despite a minor groin problem.
Karl Henry and Jay Bothroyd may feature but Matt Jarvis (thigh), Charlie Mulgrew (ankle) and Mark Davies (knee) are likely to be missing again.

Morecambe boss Sammy McIlroy has no fresh injury or suspension worries.

Striker Matty Blinkhorn (hernia) returned for the reserves last week, but did not feature at the weekend.

The league table says Wolves are second. But the performance which lifted us into an automatic promotion spot was described by manager Mick McCarthy as "rubbish".

So while Molineux resembled Freddie and the (promotion) Dreamers at full time on Saturday, McCarthy added a crystal clear sense of reality.

And yes, for periods against an enterprising and energetic Blackpool side, Wolves were indeed rubbish, particularly in the first half when the performance was more dozy than dream-like.

Skipper Gary Breen pointed to the number of players who'd been away on international duty in the week as a reason for Saturday's Molineux malaise. Darren Potter had played in Denmark and Seyi George Olofinjana had been back to Nigeria - a contributory factor maybe to a lifeless central midfield performance from the pair.

But then it changed. McCarthy threw on two of last season's heroes. And maybe, just maybe, that's at the heart of what was wrong on Saturday, and what ultimately went right.

I feel like Dick Turpin after getting away with highway robbery. I cannot think of one thing we did better than Blackpool - apart from putting the ball in the net.Wolves manager Mick McCarthy
I cannot understand why Neil Collins is not deemed to be one of the two best central defenders at Molineux.

And despite the obvious attributes of current internationals Potter and Olofinjana, Karl Henry brings authority, calmness and a heart that bleeds Wolves on to the pitch.

I guess the hardest trick for a manager is to develop his team over time, without cracking the foundations that gave him the opportunity to create a better team in the first place.

McCarthy is a Molineux hero. But he will have appreciated on Saturday that he's not untouchable. Reality is that no manager is. That's why a vocal, albeit temporary, song in support of the exiled Jody Craddock rang out on the South Bank when Wolves' defensive travails were so evident on Saturday.

We loved last season. We were all so proud of what our team nearly accomplished. And we remember the players that gave us hope and restored our pride.

And that's why, I believe, a high percentage of Wolves fans want Collins and Henry back in the team.

I have been to one baseball game in my whole life. It was the bluejays against some other team.

The bluejays pretty much raped them.

And I got a free bobblehead out of it.