The Sports Thread

Mathiäs;6535062 said:
Either make a valid point or shut up.

Someone is getting a little pissed off at all the Bonds hate. Let's just say he wouldn't have had all those stats had he not been on roids

Why does stating that it's always been done make it okay? I don't understand your reasoning here. It does nothing but taint the game.

The rules are the fucking rules. If I shat back when it legal to shit I did nothing wrong. If I shat when it was illegal to shit I broke the rules and should be punished. The morals of shitting do not come into play. See my point?

Mathiäs;6535072 said:
The rules are the fucking rules. If I shat back when it legal to shit I did nothing wrong. If I shat when it was illegal to shit I broke the rules and should be punished. The morals of shitting do not come into play. See my point?

Yeah! AS LONG AS THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME IS LEFT INTACT!

Oh...wait....

That's alright though, we'll just make it what the majority of players are doing legal instead of rightfully punishing them; It's not like that's insulting to every respected historic player in baseballs history since its inception ya' know?

I don't condone steroids but... either way, a batter still has to eye the ball and line the bat up with it, strength counts for nothing if one can't do that well.

Yeah! AS LONG AS THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME IS LEFT INTACT!

Oh...wait....

That's alright though, we'll just make it what the majority of players are doing legal instead of rightfully punishing them; It's not like that's insulting to every respected historic player in baseballs history since its inception ya' know?

Did you read any of the above posts? You have to FOUND GUILTY first. FOUND GUILTY.

Mathiäs;6535028 said:
You cannot get rid of the game's greatest player of all time.

But Alex Rodriguez plays for the Yankees :confused:

And the Barry-Roids argument comes back up. One of the most flawed pro-Bonds arguments is that "well hitting isn't all about strenght". Right. Neither are steroids.

The extensive use of steroids has helped Barry Bonds (and other plays) in more ways than just enhancing stregth. Steroids have extended Bonds' career by giving him faster recovery time, allowing him to return from injuries quicker than normal and allowing him to execercise more than normal. The improved eye sight doesn't hurt, either.

As far as I know it has never been legal for someone to use for anything other than medicinal purposes. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Just beause steroids were not specifically banned by MLB doesn't make it ok.

"Innocent until proven guilty" has no bearing here since it is painfully obvious that he used steroids. It is also painfully obvious that Bonds is highly connected to the steroid industry which, as everyone knows, is always able to stay one step ahead of the testing. He doesn't get caught because he uses the latest drugs, for which there are no tests.

Bonds said he used the cream and the clear, claiming that he did not know that they were steroids. He admitted to using them. Whether they were banned from MLB at the time or not doesn't change the fact that he broke the records with performance enhancing drugs, and that gives all of us reasonable grounds to not acknowledge his accomplishments.

I've been a Cubs fan for a long time, and I grew up watching Sosa have his amazing stretch from '98 through '03. For some time after that, I did not believe he was using steroids, but now that I'm more removed from that period, it's quite clear that he was not clean. I can see how people could ignore the facts to satisfy their rooting interests, but after a while reality will set in.

Basketball is weaker than some other sports in that a turn of events in the first three quarters of the game usually doesn't really impact the game. In baseball, football, or hockey, the critical points in the game can really be at any point.
That's exactly what I was saying in one of my previous posts. It's so high scroing that you might as well only watch the last fifteen minutes of each game. Maybe they should raise the fucking hoop another five feet to make scoring slightly less frequent. And aside from the sport itself, I fucking HATE the culture that surrounds basketball.

Mathiäs;6536541 said:
A-Rod was probably on the roids too. Everyone was.

Whatever you need to tell yourself in order to justify rooting for someone who is quite possibly the biggest disgrace in the history of Major League Baseball this side of Chick Gandil.

Also there has never been anything to suggest that Alex Rodriguez is or ever was on the juice. There are, however, mountains of evidence showing that Bonds was and probably still is.

Alex Rodriguez has been incredibly consistent in his power numbers, hasn't increased his power to unnatural levels (73 Home Runs?!) and quite obviously is just a superb hitter. Barry on the other hand, was an excellent hitter who cheated to become the "best".

Speaking of steroids, it looks like Bonds wants to play next year....just not for the Giants.

SI.com said:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds is finished in San Francisco.

The Giants told Bonds they will not bring him back next season, ending an era in which he became all-time home run champion and a lightning rod for the steroids debate in baseball.

"It's always difficult to say goodbye," Giants owner Peter Magowan said Friday. "There comes a time when, I think, you have to move in a different direction."

On his Web site, Bonds said he wasn't done.

"There is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career. My quest for a World Series ring continues," he said.

Magowan told Bonds in person Thursday night.

"I think he knew the decision was coming. I don't think it was surprising to him. I think, naturally, he was disappointed," Magowan said.

"I do believe he's the greatest player of his generation, one of the greatest players of all time ... and it was a great advantage to have a player of his caliber on our team for all those years."

The 43-year-old Bonds broke Hank Aaron's record with his 756th home run on Aug. 7. Bonds has spent the past 15 seasons of his 22-year big league career with the Giants, and signed a $15.8 million, one-year contract for this season.

But he hasn't played since Sept. 15 because of a sprained right big toe, and he wasn't in the Giants' lineup Thursday night for the opener of what probably will be his final homestand with San Francisco, which signed him as a free agent in December 1992.

Shadowed by steroid speculation for the past few years, Bonds has hit 28 homers this season, raising his career total to 762. The seven-time NL MVP is batting .279 with 66 RBIs.

Prior to the toe injury, he had been mostly healthy, playing 125 games going into this weekend. The left fielder had 2,935 career hits before Friday night's game against Cincinnati.

"He can still play," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said.

Despite Bonds' personal achievements, the season has been a disappointing one for the Giants, who are mired deep in last place in the NL West.

"We've heard for a long time that the Giants are an old team and want to get younger, so we're not surprised," said Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris. "Barry is their oldest player, but qualitatively, he's their best player."

"He's still planning on playing next year, irrespective of whether it's an AL or NL team," he said.

Bonds has long denied using performance-enhancing drugs, but fans across the country have greeted him with placards inscribed with asterisks -- baseball-fan shorthand for the belief that his record is hopelessly tainted by allegations of steroid abuse.