The Sports Thread

I really hope the Cubs make it. They're on the inside track right now, but barely. I can say quite confidently that if the Cubs were to win the World Series, it would be the happiest moment of my life, and probably the most significant sports story of the century. Yeah, the Red Sox have won, but they have been competitors way more over the years since 1970. The Cubs were in the playoffs only in '84 (blew it on the pre-Buckner Leon Durham through the legs error), '89 (lost to better team), '98 (lucky to be there), and '03 (Bartman). The '04 Cubs were a better team but they choked away a 2 1/2 game lead in something like the last five days of the season. The '07 team has underperformed considerably but anybody could put together a good run in the playoffs.
I like the Brewers but I would definitely root for the Cubs if they make it.

I've always felt bad for the Brewers sucking all the time. But now that they're good I'd like them to win some glory before they decline.

Starting next season, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will cease to be the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and will become the Tampa Bay Rays. As I see it, there are to reasons for this change. First, the "Rays" is slightly less stupid than the "Devil Rays". Second, the word "devil" was offending too many old people, which is a problem in Florida. Aside from changing the team name, they have also decided to overhaul the uniforms. Now, I actually think their current uni's aren't bad. I don't like the vest jerseys and I think the font is lame, but they are still pretty cool. And the dark green was great, too, since they are one of only two teams to wear green. They have decided to make the uni's as boring and generic as possible, and they will change the color to- get this- blue! I thought it was bad when the D-Backs dropped purple and green for red, but at least they went with a shade of red that no one uses. I can't imagine what the fuck the Devils Rays- sorry, Rays orginization was thinking when they decided to switch to blue.

Here are the new logos (which are ok) and the blandest fucking uni's you will ever see:

(Logos)

(Home)

(Away)

(Alt. Home)

(Alt. Away)

I really believe that in two or three years the Rays will be very good (I'd been calling the Tigers and Brewers to become good for years). I think they may have actually offset any excitment that team could have generated by adopting these incredibly boring uniforms.

ok, i dont like jose, or chelsea, but you cant judge a team by their first few games. jose has done wonders for chelsea. by this model rafa benitez would have been sacked last year! the simple fact is he's a great manager.

i can totally see a fallout though. he comes off as a total prick.
~gR~

i can totally see a fallout though. he comes off as a total prick.
~gR~

He can be a right laugh, but yeh also an arrogant prick, and that is probably the main reason for his sacking.

Soccer can be pretty brutal at times.Have you ever played with any one who is good?

Ignore what Dave says. He talks shit and doesnt know what he's on about.

That's thoughtful of the Rays. Now when we have to think of the worst teams in the AL we can just think of blue uniforms.

Hey man a certain blue team is breathing down the neck of your red team. :mad:

imo they should've kept the green but gotten rid of the vest uniforms.

Indeed. The green looked good and it was different. But those fucking vests are awful. A lot of teams are making significant uniform changes next season, and I know the White Sox and I think the Indians are doing away with vests.

Soccer can be pretty brutal at times.Have you ever played with any one who is good?
I must say, I find it ironic when some Americans call soccer a girl's sport or a fag sport, and yet they like basketball, which is MUCH more wimpy than soccer, and any contact is a foul. Yes, basketball is indeed a sissy sport, but the reason people don't think so is because it is dominated by black people, and a lot of idiots think that black people are tough, which is the most retarded reasoning I've ever seen.

basketball has excitement. soccer doesnt. Soccer is all passing and running.
but no, its not a girls sport at all.
I dunno. Basketball is the one major American sport I just can't get into. It is way too high scoring (just like you can say soccer is too low scoring), and if you watch the last ten minutes of the game, that's all you really need to see, unless it's a blowout, which is boring anyways. You can also make the argument that basketball "is all passing and running," but as opposed to dribbling with the feet, you have a bunch of black guys bouncing a ball around.

I dunno. Basketball is the one major American sport I just can't get into. It is way too high scoring (just like you can say soccer is too low scoring), and if you watch the last ten minutes of the game, that's all you really need to see, unless it's a blowout, which is boring anyways. You can also make the argument that basketball "is all passing and running," but as opposed to dribbling with the feet, you have a bunch of black guys bouncing a ball around.
Couldn't agree more. Basketball is for hoodrats who never went to college.