The Sports Thread

Mathiäs;6558637 said:
..AND WILL LOSE IN THE FIRST ROUND!
I don't know why you would say this, other than because "they're the Cubs". This team has three remaining players from '03. It's a different bunch. They also have the NL's best record since June 23. They overcame a bad first two months. That's irrelevant now. Their slightly above average record is irrelevant now.

The Cubs have three good power bats in Ramirez, Lee and Soriano. Zambrano and Lilly are a strong 1-2 punch for starters, and the Cubs pen is strong with Marmol (the best reliever no one's heard of), Howry, and Dempster. They have no real weak point, and they have a better manager than most teams.

Arizona is young, lacks punch in the lineup, and beyond Webb, is not especially strong in their rotation. Their best strength is probably their bullpen.

The only bad matchup for the Cubs in the NL is the Mets, and it's looking like they will choke their lead away in an epic manner.

Camden Yards = Fucking unbelievable. What an amazing ballpark. How they fail to pack that place every single night despite a losing team is beyond me.

I was in the Club section, so I suppose everything there may have been a little nicer than other parks of the park, but anything half as nice as that would be great. The concourses were very fancy, it felt like walking around in a high-end hotel. There were tons of great concession options and they handed out these orange menu's before the game, and you hold them up at any time during the game, and someone comes over to take your food order and they deliver it to you. The service in general was really nice and helpful. Then, of course, it's just a beatiful ball park. And cupholders? Fuck. Yes.

All in all about a million times nicer than Yankee stadium, with it's dank, dirty garage like concourses, shitty concessions and push-and-shove staff... But, then again, Yankee Stadium is the happiest place on earth and Camden Yards has walk-outs. I just hope the new Yankee Stadium is even half as nice as Camden Yards.
Absolutley one of the best times I've ever had at a ballgame, despite the Yankees losing.

So, the AL matchups are all locked in. With the Red Sox win and the Yankees loss last night, the Red Sox win the AL East and the Yankees take the Wild Card. Cleveland has also clinched a better record than Los Angeles, so the first round of the AL playoffs will be Angels vs. Red Sox and Yankees vs. Indians.

What has yet to be decided is the overall top record, which actually means something this year. The top team will choose which series schedule they want to play: The "short" series (two off-days) or the "long" series (three off-days). The first game of the AL playoffs will be on Tuesday, though it's yet to be decided which game.

Then we have the Cubbies clinching the central, the D-backs clinching at least a play-off spot, and Phillies taking a one-game lead in the NL East over the Mets, who also find themselves two back for the Wild Card. It's amazing how wild the NL still is with only two games left to play. I'm rooting for the Phil's to win the National League.

Go Red Sox.

Go Yankees.

FYP.

I say "go Red Sox" :)Puke:) only because I like the Yankees chances against the Sawx in the ALCS much more than I like their chances against the Angels. Also, Yanks-Sawx ALCS? It doesn't get any better (it is important to note that I do not recognize 2004 as having occured).

I think this thread should just be renamed The Baseball Thread....

Except for the several pages that are about American football, and all the posts about soccer, right? If you don't like baseball, talk about another sport. Quit bitching because there are serious baseball fans here who want to talk about the sport.

As much as I love my team, recent weeks have proven that the Yankees have the upper hand against them. I'm not being a wimp, I'm realizing a trend and hoping for a favorable outcome. The Sox have much better success against LA and Cleveland than they do against the surging Yanks.

As much as I love my team, recent weeks have proven that the Yankees have the upper hand against them. I'm not being a wimp, I'm realizing a trend and hoping for a favorable outcome. The Sox have much better success against LA and Cleveland than they do against the surging Yanks.
I agree. The Yankees are MUCH better than Anaheim, IMO, and I think they could easily take Cleveland, too. If the Sox want to beat the Yankees in the playoffs (or even the Angels or Indians, for that matter) they have to start playing like they were earlier in the season again, because how they've been playing more recently just won't cut it.

I was at the game yesterday. Since the magic number was 2, it didn't occur to me that they could clinch if the Yankees lost. So, after the Sox won, I headed over to the Baseball Tavern to watch the rest of the Yankees game. People were going nuts in Kenmore Square after the Yankees lost.

Wow... baseball fans :)

db600.jpg

I like the D-Backs. I'd love to see a rematch for 2001 in the World Series this year.

Actually, there are a few teams in the NL playoff picture that I would love to see the Yankees go up against in the WS. D-Backs, Phillies, Cubbies matchups would all be awesome. And if the Mets were to make it (lulz) that would obviously be pretty cool, too.

Rutgers plays Maryland in a few minutes. Ray Rice will have 7,000 rushing yards by the end of the first quarter.

Rutgers, down 14 - 3, pulls off TWO two-minute drills before the half to take a 17 - 14 lead. :kickass: Now that they've got the lead, hopefully they'll give Rice the ball more, as he only has 70 yards.