The Sports Thread

Why the hell shouldn't baseball have instant replay?

Because the average game is already three hours long, and there are tons of disputable plays in each game. Even if you limit each team to X amount of challenges per game, there is still the problem of a penalty for disputing a correct call.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in football, the team is charged a time-out if the disputed call is ruled to be correct. Since there are no time-outs in baseball, what would be the penalty? An out? That would be ridiculous.

Maybe a change could be made where a manager could request a replay when the call concerns if a batted ball was fair or foul, if a fly ball was caught or perhaps base-running. But there isn't really anyway that there could be rule where a team could make the umpires watch a replay.

And people who think there should be a replay for balls and strikes deserve a good smack to the head.

Why not, so umpires can keep making bad calls? Would it ruin the "spirit" of the game?

See above. Also, Tim McLleland (spelling I don't know fuck it) is one of the better umpires in the game. The call on Holliday was not horrendously bad. The "neighborhood" play is nothing new, and it wouldn't even have been an issue of Barret hadn't dropped the ball.

Uh, it's pretty simple, just have a panel review questionable plays automatically. Questionable calls are pretty obvious, and should be reviewed to ensure that the right call is made. Frankly, the length of the game argument is shitgasmic.

Meh. You're right in that it would be hard to implement, but it would definitely be useful for situations like that.

I said to Nec earlier that just because the catcher and runner failed to do what they were supposed to, neither of them should be rewarded by default.

I would like replay only to determine whether homeruns are fair or foul, and in cases where it's not clear if the ball hit the yellow line, or where a fan interfered with a potential homerun.

That we would avoid things like that bullshit Jeffrey Maier foul ball/homerun. It wouldn't add too much time to the average game since these instances do not occur that often.

It looked like Holliday never got the plate. Barrett did go and tag him after picking up the ball, but the ump had already signaled safe, so I guess he saw him touch it. Questionable ending that surely will leave whatever few fans the Padres have in fits.

Uh, it's pretty simple, just have a panel review questionable plays automatically. Questionable calls are pretty obvious, and should be reviewed to ensure that the right call is made.

So you want there to be a group of people who go to each game and stop it whenever a questionable call is made? Who decides if a play is "questionable" or not? Close calls happen every inning, and you want to have each one of them reviewed and ruled on by a fucking panel? One person makes the call, that's it, that's all. There aren't nearly enough bad calls to justify such a monumental change as stopping the game every two plays so a panel can decide whether or not Carl Crawford beat the throw to first.

Frankly, the length of the game argument is shitgasmic.

Actually it's a legitimate concern. We're talking about a 162 game season with 3+ hours game, and here you want to add who knows much much more time to the average game. Every single bang-bang play at first base is "disputable", every fould ball down the line, and you want to have a panel that stops the game to review these plays that happen constantly? You're talking about extending the length of the game considerably. Just because you don't like an argument doesn't give you the right to dismiss it. Either make a point against it or shut the fuck up, since "length of game" is among the top reasons that there is no replay in baseball.

So you want there to be a group of people who go to each game and stop it whenever a questionable call is made? Who decides if a play is "questionable" or not? Close calls happen every inning, and you want to have each one of them reviewed and ruled on by a fucking panel? One person makes the call, that's it, that's all. There aren't nearly enough bad calls to justify such a monumental change as stopping the game every two plays so a panel can decide whether or not Carl Crawford beat the throw to first.

You're overcomplicating the issue. Not every call needs to be thoroughly reviewed either. How often are you watching a game and you see a review that directly contradicts what the umpire called? And yet this should stand? Why? That makes no fucking sense. It's the wrong call. It should be overruled. And it takes about 5 seconds to do it. The NFL has a panel that reviews plays. They can take that concept and apply it to baseball. This isn't a monumental change, bro. And stop exaggerating, it's just silly. You know it's a good idea.

Actually it's a legitimate concern. We're talking about a 162 game season with 3+ hours game, and here you want to add who knows much much more time to the average game. Every single bang-bang play at first base is "disputable", every fould ball down the line, and you want to have a panel that stops the game to review these plays that happen constantly? You're talking about extending the length of the game considerably. Just because you don't like an argument doesn't give you the right to dismiss it. Either make a point against it or shut the fuck up, since "length of game" is among the top reasons that there is no replay in baseball.

Every bang-bang play at first base is "disputable?" Ever foul down the line is disputable? The tv instantly shows a replay of every single fucking play that ever happens. THAT is how fast it takes to determine whether or not an umpire made the right call. Most decisions can probably be made by the time the next batter walks up to the plate.

I don't like the argument because it's FUCKING RETARDED. If you're bitching about the length of the game, there are plenty of things you can do to make games shorter. Adding in replays won't take more than 5 goddamn minutes the entire game. Immense overexaggeration on your part.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to implement, but I think having "the booth" like football games use in the final two minutes would be good. No worries about challenging to buy time or any bullshit and they would know the game well enough to only do it on the rare occasions when it is needed. I watched the Red Sox all season and I can count on one hand the times I thought a review was needed.

You're overcomplicating the issue. Not every call needs to be thoroughly reviewed either. How often are you watching a game and you see a review that directly contradicts what the umpire called? And yet this should stand? Why? That makes no fucking sense. It's the wrong call. It should be overruled. And it takes about 5 seconds to do it. The NFL has a panel that reviews plays. They can take that concept and apply it to baseball. This isn't a monumental change, bro. And stop exaggerating, it's just silly. You know it's a good idea.

Nine times out of ten the right call is made. And no, a panel is not a good idea.

Every bang-bang play at first base is "disputable?" Ever foul down the line is disputable? The tv instantly shows a replay of every single fucking play that ever happens. THAT is how fast it takes to determine whether or not an umpire made the right call.

Yeah, and the replays almost always show the call to be correct.

Most decisions can probably be made by the time the next batter walks up to the plate. I don't like the argument because it's FUCKING RETARDED.

Most, not all. It's the ones that can't be easily decided by looking at video that are the problem here.

If you're bitching about the length of the game, there are plenty of things you can do to make games shorter.

I wouldn't expect you to know this, but there has been a concious effort made by MLB to make the game shorter, and games are still an average of three hours.

Immense overexaggeration on your part.

No.

To clarify my view a little bit: I think this is a thing MLB needs to do right if they end up doing it at all, which I doubt at this time. Remember that whole AJ Pierzynksi dropped 3rd strike thing in 05? That was much bigger and nothing came of it.

Well it turned out that a Patriots win didn't spell doom for my fantasy team this week. Moss and House got nearly twice the amount of points racked up by Tom Brady. Thanks to them, I'm in 1st place.

Anyways, my (wishful thinking) predictions for the MLB playoffs:

postseason07rnd1ci7.jpg

ALDS: Red Sox over Angels, Indians over Yankees
NLDS: Phillies over Rockies, Cubs over D-Backs

ALCS: Red Sox over Indians
NLCS: Cubs over Phillies

WS: Red Sox over Cubs

I doubt it will work out this way, but this is the best-case scenario in my view of things...

I don't pay much attention to baseball, but even I know the NL is fucked and isn't going to win the world series.

Question for whoever knows: Why is there only 14 AL teams and 16 NL teams? Why don't they split it up 15-15 or make two more teams and make it 16 on each to make it even?