The Sports Thread

If anything, they should have contracted Florida and Montreal a couple of years ago to reduce the NL to 14 teams as well.

I like the Cubs in four. They hit for power in September, and Zambrano hasn't given up any runs in the last few starts. Arizona didn't end the season hot or anything, and they still have zero offense, and not much in the rotation after Webb. Cubs fans travel well, so Arizona's home support won't be as solid.

I like the Phillies in five games. This series should be a slugfest. Homefield advantage makes the difference.

Boston should win their series easily. Anaheim didn't impress down the stretch, and their offense lacks punch.

I'll take Cleveland in five over NY. They have a big edge in starting pitching, and the Yankees have gagged in the postseason lately.

Cubs fans travel well, so Arizona's home support won't be as solid.

Do you really think there will be enough Cubs fans there to take away from Arizona's home field advantage? It's not like the regular season where tickets for 81 games are there for anyone to buy them. Season ticket holders are given priority when post season tickets go on sale. I'm not saying that there won't be Cub fans there, obviously there will be, but I can't imagine there will be a significant amount of them. Yankee fans "travel well", too. Better than everyone but Red Sox fans, in fact, but I doubt you're going to see very many of them at Jacobs Field on Thursday.

But, hey, who knows? Maybe Cubs fans will pack the stadium. I don't know how the D-Backs do as far as attendance goes.

I'll take Cleveland in five over NY. They have a big edge in starting pitching, and the Yankees have gagged in the postseason lately.

Not as much of an edge as you'd think. C.C. Sabathia is the only one that Yankees haven't hit this year, and that's because they didn't face him. He actually hasn't faced the Yankees since '03 and his career numbers against them are horrendous, but that really doesn't mean anything. He's not the same pitcher as he was in '03, and the Yankees don't hit well againt pitchers that haven't seen... Especially lefties. After him, the Yankees have beaten Carmona, Westbrook and Byrd this year. Again, none of this means that much. The Indians are certainly capable of winning the series.

And the Yankees team has a very different attitude this year than it's had for years.

phillies over yankees, im calling it right now.

You got the matchup right but the result wrong.

Not a fan of the AAA team?

I don't pay attention to Indians. I've been to a few games, but that's only because the Manager of the Louisville team that comes up to play here every so often is a friend of the family so he gets us free tickets. Besides, it's just not the same. To me, minor league is like college basketball and football, I'd rather watch the pros.

edit: To be honest though, I'd much rather go to a Indians game over a Pacers game, because the Pacers fucking suck!

I don't pay attention to Indians. I've been to a few games, but that's only because the Manager of the Louisville team that comes up to play here every so often is a friend of the family so he gets us free tickets. Besides, it's just not the same. To me, minor league is like college basketball and football, I'd rather watch the pros.

edit: To be honest though, I'd much rather go to a Indians game over a Pacers game, because the Pacers fucking suck!
As a huge baseball fan, I love the minors. The atmosphere is great and you get to see the future stars and at AAA all the old has beens you thought had retired. I got to see Jonathon Papelbon and Kevin Youkilis at AAA and I've seen a game at A and AA level, so I'm sure those guys will be up soon.

t1_dustin_pedroia.jpg

Rookie of the Year candidate!