The Studio scene in Amsterdam

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Anybody know what it's like?

It just came to my mind that I don't know any Studios/Producers that are located in Amsterdam. Although I've never been there myself so far I recon it should be a cool place to run a studio in as there seems to be a general vibe of creativity in this place.

Amsterdam is a ridiculously expensive city, full stop. Didnt really like the vibe from the place when I was there last to be honest either, too touristy. I could see that any band that would record there(who arent dutch nationals) would just get absolutely monged before the session.

Hahahaha monged! Being from the other side of the world I loved the vibe in Amsterdam because it is so tourist friendly.... it almost seemed like an 'unreal' city. The stuff that goes on there is almost unthinkable here in Australia. God bless Europe.

I'm heading over next Wednesday and I actually wondered the same thing.

Monged is an awesome word :D

Getting a place in Amsterdam is expensive! E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E. You roughly pay 400-500 euro for a 8 square meter room if you're a student. Buying a house probally starts somewhere around 500.000 euro, but you probally have an appartment.

There is a mastering facility just outside Amsterdam that I have used in the past once. I bet you have a better change of finding suitable Studios in and around Diemen. Which is still Amsterdam, but not really in the centre. And I guess that 9 out of the 10 studios you find there have an Rode or Neumann mic, with 1 pre-amp and an iMac with cracked fruity loops software...

If you want to get stoned before a session, it's not only Amsterdam where they sell the dope, it's no problem getting it anywhere in Holland. Amsterdam has the "red-light district" tho, but in every city here you have a place where you can get a blowjob by an doped-out prostitute...still I can't see the fun in that tho.

I live 2.15 hours away from Amsterdam, and I prefer that to living in Amsterdam. Going to Amsterdam a lot tho since I go and see Ajax (football club).

Haha, I never considered that bands might get stoned before a session. good point though. :D
Also those rents really seem to be insane! For 500 you can get an appartment over here and even our rents aren't known exactly cheap.
Jeid, if you're going there maybe you can give us some first hand experience when you come back. :)

Going slightly off topic here. But I thinks myself places like Maastricht are much nicer than amsterdam for all aspects(Prices, people, smoke, etc). If I were going to open up a studio in the netherlands with my limited travels around the place(I live on the german netherlands border) I would put it there.

My girlfriend is living in one of the aforementioned small student apartments, 1 room with a bathroom and it's costing her €500 a month. I have a four bedroom house that I share with a friend and it costs us £400 a month.

I was talking about 1-2 rooms + bathroom + kitchen. I know one appartment that has 3 rooms + living room/dining room/kitchen + big bathroom + separate toilet and the rent (no heat or electricity) is 600 per month.

Viking: Jesus, 500 a week?? How can anyone afford that? I mean that's 2000 per month for rent alone. I don't know many people who earn that kind of money in the first place and then they would still have to pay for food and other stuff...

Viking: Jesus, 500 a week?? How can anyone afford that? I mean that's 2000 per month for rent alone. I don't know many people who earn that kind of money in the first place and then they would still have to pay for food and other stuff...

Its all proportional really ... generally speaking people that live in Manhattan also have very good paying jobs .. so it kinda balances out ... kinda

its still ridiculous considering the rent on a good apartment in the city there is more than a lot of people pay on a mortgage for a house elsewhere