The thing about mp3s..

Originally posted by Heidi
Those, who defends MP3s, just make excuses for stealing. I know the good sides of them, but people use this chance so wrong that it would be better if MP3s was forbidden in law. You've seen what happened to SyX and Stratovarius, and Kamelot! The new album is/was in the net long time BEFORE the release date! And as long as there are people who are so selfish that they spread songs, there's no good sides of it.

STOP THE PIRACY, STOP MP3s!

:(

Awesome post:rolleyes: MP3's are beneficial to underground bands, if it wasn't for mp3's I wouldn't be able to hear this band and lots of other great bands. I see both sides of the story but if it wasn't for MP3's a lot of people would not know Syx and wouldn't be able to buy their CD's.

:)

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
Actually, we give fans of this genre a lot more credit than we ought to when it comes to buying cds. We assume that people buy the cds they download..but given the contrast between concert attendance and cd sales, the truth is that there are far more people out there stealing the music than we think there are. Sad, but true.

So fucking what? I know lots of people that go to shows of bands they've never heard of because they'd rather check out the bands live than through buying the CDs.

Just more excuses.

Ultimate_Symphony, I said I know the good sides too BUT people use this wrong by stealing albums and release them before the official dates. See?

BastrdDrmr, if I wasn't, would I say so? I don't assume you never could understand this but let's say that next time you get your salary, send it to me, please.

I know the good sides of them, but people use this chance so wrong that it would be better if MP3s was forbidden in law.

STOP THE PIRACY, STOP MP3s!

:(

You seem to forget that there is a perfectly valid and legal use of mp3's. I copy all of my favorite and new albums into mp3's on my hard-disk so I can play them through QCD without having to look for the cd. I have a 40 gig HD reserved just for that purpose. It is so easy when you are behind your PC, [or even when you are not] to start your music with a few clicks. There is some great software available for people who want to do this.

There is nothing inherently unlawful about using mp3's, you have the right to make copies of your cd's *for your own use*.

How are you going to make that unlawful. You are being unrealistic here. And show that you don't know much about use of mp3's nor about the law.

Just more excuses.

Ultimate_Symphony, I said I know the good sides too BUT people use this wrong by stealing albums and release them before the official dates. See?

Yep and I agree.

First of all, comparing cd sales with attendance to concerts is no comparison, because there are a lot of people who go to concerts 'just in case'. For example I went to Blind Guardian just because I know it's not coming again, so i'd loose the chance to see them live, and because going to a concert is a great thing to have fun. About people downloading mp3, if they buy the cd anyway, is that a matter? Internet is like a neighbour: he lends you the cd's so that you choose to buy or not the cd. Also, a lot of people that burn their cd's out of mp3 do that because they don't have the money for the cd's, or do not like the band that much, so they wouldn't buy the cd's anyway.

But OK, lets kill mp3 sharing (something rather impossible, by the way), and to avoid copy even more, lets kill TV and radio for showcasting songs and videos you can tape without any effort.

Come on, think a little, instead of trying to kill the mp3 sharing 'business', promote cd buying.

Just more excuses.

BastrdDrmr, if I wasn't, would I say so? I don't assume you never could understand this but let's say that next time you get your salary, send it to me, please.

Speaking of saleries, ever thought about those who haven't exactly got big ones? Or none at all? :rolleyes:

17, attending school, don't have the time for a job because of that. I download mp3s yeah, and I'll admit that, I burn them as well, but considering the country, and radio stations, etc, I would never have heard of either Symphony X or Dream Theater if it wasn't for mp3s, and when I can afford it, I'm gonna buy some of their albums, probably all of them.

But you know, it isn't exactly easy when YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Originally posted by SyX-Fan
Speaking of saleries, ever thought about those who haven't exactly got big ones? Or none at all? :rolleyes:

17, attending school, don't have the time for a job because of that. I download mp3s yeah, and I'll admit that, I burn them as well, but considering the country, and radio stations, etc, I would never have heard of either Symphony X or Dream Theater if it wasn't for mp3s, and when I can afford it, I'm gonna buy some of their albums, probably all of them.

True...

Originally posted by The Yngster
MP3 piracy is great for underground bands because people can discover them. Its bad for mainstream bands because everyone already knows about them, and their fans generally aren't loyal, they just burn copies without buying it. Most X'ers would buy a Symphony X cd even if they had downloaded it before.

Yes! But I tend to buy the albums before I listen to them through MP3s (too lazy to upload??).

The only predictable mistake I've come across from that method is Dillinger Escape Plan. I don't like it. :(

You mean like the bands you don't support by buying their stuff? :lol:

I'm gonna try that one at my supermarket when I walk out with a loaf of bread without paying!

This is really such a touchy issue, and I can understand both sides wanting to "preserve" their interests (musicians' and fans'). I've always made it a point to purchase albums that I obtain via mp3 (whether prior or proceeding placing the order). I'm completely not against mp3s (having had a hand in making one of the most popular encoders around), but there is a very fine line between justifying and flaunting, which is what I believe several people have tried to state in so many words. I have a hunch that for every one of us who legitimately purchases the album (as opposed to simply burning the mp3s onto a cd-r/dvd-r), there are one thousand who don't. This is a particularly wacky ratio, true. Is it fair to blame mp3s, Napster, etc.? I don't believe so, but I'll avoid the philosophical waxing.

I work extremely hard to "get by," and this unfortunately doesn't leave me much time or money to attend shows. I do the best I can, though. I _always_ purchase my favorite bands' albums (and I have a _lot_ of albums)--and even some random junk ones simply because I happened to grab a mp3 or two. I might be rare, but the long-winding moral of the story is:

1) show the band some respect on their own messageboard (unlike say what happened on the boards of Stratovarius and In Flames);
2) buy it!
3) we're all in this because of music, no?

Don't get me wrong.. I buy albums as well, it's not that ;)
I even buy them at overprice when it's a band i truly respect, like Offspring (Bought to of their early albums when I went to London some years ago.. pretty expensive).

Bought the new by Green Day earlier this year, the new from A-Ha as well (Yes, I like them, so what?.)

I buy when I can afford it, it's not often, but at least I buy.
(Gonna get V and LOTEOF when I can afford it as well, no doubt about that.. Not to mention The Odessey..)

So you're saying that when you are poor you can steal? I can't afford car, so how about I steal it. Great.

If you can't afford it, you can't have it.

I appreciate when a band offers a couple songs on their official site for download. The Internet is the greatest promotional tool ever. It appears to me that the biggest problem is the distribution of pre-release promo copies that are uploaded. I don't even need an entire song to know if it's worth it to spend the money on a CD of a band I've never heard before, or if it may be a waste of my hard-earned money. I think all bands should offer just what we need to form a opinion (with their approval, and on their official website), as well as a means to buy the CDs if they are not widely distributed. If the band and music are really good and appeals to a listener, I do believe it will prompt a purchase (IF the CD is easily available to them).

So you're saying that when you are poor you can steal? I can't afford car, so how about I steal it. Great.

If you can't afford it, you can't have it.

Try to think of the bands for once Heidi, if I don't know them, I can't support them by buying their albums after listening to some mp3's to see if I liked them, can I?

You are starting to remind me of Timo Tolkki... (And no, that's not a compliment)