The thing about mp3s..

ljuglampa

Progwiking
Dec 19, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
www.qhlan.org
I just want to post my thaughts on the mp3 issue, cause I was reading about it in the thread about the japanese-featured song "Frontiers" not released in EU/US.

I download a lot of music all the time, cause it's an easy and fast way to get it. I downloaded "The Odyssey" right when it was released. Of course I knew I would buy it, but I wanted it right away, and why not listen to it before I have the record when I can?
In many ways I think the bands have a lot to win in this matter..
People discover them thru mp3-listening and buy their records. If it wasn't for that downloaded song(s) they would never have heard the band. I have mp3-albums of records I don't have, but I wouldn't buy these records anyway. So no money lost there for anyone..
Of course this doesn't count for everyone, but when it comes to me the music industry has nothing to lose.. quite the oposite in fact.
In my case I wouldn't have discovered Symphony X if it hadn't been for the mp3 'industry', and I hadn't bought all of their albums. Thank you piracy for giving me Symphony X.

MP3 piracy is great for underground bands because people can discover them. Its bad for mainstream bands because everyone already knows about them, and their fans generally aren't loyal, they just burn copies without buying it. Most X'ers would buy a Symphony X cd even if they had downloaded it before.

Seriously, mp3s helped alot to Symphony X. I remember when someone told me I should check 'em out, I downloaded mp3 of Dressed To Kill and I was like 'holy-sweet-mother-of-jesus-shitfuckers-allmighty!! I gotta have this album!!!!'
Well, they didn't have it, but they had V. So after V, I bought DG, then Twilight, then TIO, then DWOT and the last but not least s/t. In 6 weeks I bought their entire discography (at that time). So yeah, I think mp3 sharing does Symphony X justice.

In my case, I knew Symphony X slightly different... hehehe... it was a friend of mine, who told me about them, and another friend, that, a few weeks later, brought to me a tape with some songs of Twilight in Olympus, but, of course, I met a lot of bands thru MP3 listening, and I agree with this post, of course I reprehend (does this word exist?!) all of those who make sick piracy with artists' records!! This is, definitely, a crime!!

Even now, that I bought The Odyssey, I feel guilty to have downloaded this album so bad, that I don't listen to it anymore for about 1 and a half months, so I already forgot the songs! hehehe!!

Actually, we give fans of this genre a lot more credit than we ought to when it comes to buying cds. We assume that people buy the cds they download..but given the contrast between concert attendance and cd sales, the truth is that there are far more people out there stealing the music than we think there are. Sad, but true.

Although it wasn't the case for Symphony X (I had some friends who were into them before I did)... I have discovered almost all the metal bands I listen to (which is a lot) via mp3. Let's face it, there is no outlet for underground metal bands to disseminate their work for the masses to hear. Radio has become the most regimented and closed form of communication. Most radio stations in the US are owned by Clear Channel. Radio is only interested in making money with easily digestible 3 minute pop/rap songs. Radio is not concerned with art like Symphony X. And MTV obviously has no interest in underground metal either. The only way for underground metal to reach potential listeners is through the internet.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
The only way for underground metal to reach potential listeners is through the internet.

And, I believe that the internet has become the main way of people to listen and know underground metal bands, such Symphony X! I believe, also (I'm not telling that, in fact, it IS the truth, just a thought) that Symphony X's main media format for showing their work, is the internet, not MTV...

I believe that people that always bought cds still do. And those that never did, simply download them now. That's what I've noticed with my friends. People with big collections continue to buy- those that never did - download entire libraries.

But mp3 quality still doesn't match the actual cd's- well unless I want to spend hours searching and searching looking for top quality mp3s.

I roam message boards in search of new bands to listen to. If I like them- I buy the cd, if I don't- I delete the mp3s. I have found great new music this way (my wallet isn't happy though).

If only the artist got more money of these sales- instead of the cd stores and labels.

I've been saying this about MP3's for a long time :) I've discovered a lot of bands via mp3 and the only way I could discover those bands was by the internet. If I didn't had the internet I wouldn't be able to hear many of the bands I listen to and I wouldn't be able to buy their CD's (also from the Internet)

:headbang:

I'm truly sick of this mp3 debate. My favorite bands: Symphony X, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork... I NEVER would've heard them had it not been for the internet. Downloading mp3s is essential, because most people are not going to spend 15 dollars on a CD of a band they've never heard of just so they can check them out. People hear about one or two songs from bands that are on MTV, and if they like it, they often go buy those CDs. As for underground bands, most people never get to hear those 1 or 2 songs unless they download mp3s of those bands in order to check them out.

I would be completely lost without the Internet, but on the same token I am not dependent on illegal mp3s for exposure to new music...if I like what I hear, I'll buy the album. People who truly appreciate great music support the artists for whom their work holds invaluable meaning. Better dead than burned.

Those, who defends MP3s, just make excuses for stealing. I know the good sides of them, but people use this chance so wrong that it would be better if MP3s was forbidden in law. You've seen what happened to SyX and Stratovarius, and Kamelot! The new album is/was in the net long time BEFORE the release date! And as long as there are people who are so selfish that they spread songs, there's no good sides of it.

STOP THE PIRACY, STOP MP3s!

:(

The only reason I downloaded the entire Odyssey before it came out is because I had been waiting for 2 years for a new album from Symphony X, and I wanted to hear the new material badly. I burned the CD so that I could listen to it before the album actually came out. I still preordered the limited edition CD on amazon.com. I bought the album, so why must people still bitch?

On an unrelated note...... anyone heard Frontiers yet? I want to hear it.

Im all for MP3s, but I prefer when the artist themselves make em available. I don't understand why more bands don't do it. Someone wants to check you out, give them a handful of full songs or very long clips on your website for download. I have no problem at all with the artists distributing mp3s. The only time I get mp3s is from friends who either a) want me to listen to a song, or b) Im interested in checking out a band they have mp3s of or c) I download from the artist.

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
Actually, we give fans of this genre a lot more credit than we ought to when it comes to buying cds. We assume that people buy the cds they download..but given the contrast between concert attendance and cd sales, the truth is that there are far more people out there stealing the music than we think there are. Sad, but true.

I'm not condoning the stealing of music, but I think we underestimate the positive effects free downloads can have for bands like Symphony X. You mention the disparity in cd sells and in concert attendance, but don't you think concert attendance would be a helluvalot lower if it weren't for people discovering bands via the internet? I'd be interested to see if there have been any upward trends in concert attendance the past 5 years for bands in the underground scene. I know I have spent hundreds of dollars on concert tickets for bands I was exposed to thanks to mp3s, including Symphony X. I'm sure there are many more just like me.

Originally posted by The Yngster
Its bad for mainstream bands because everyone already knows about them, and their fans generally aren't loyal, they just burn copies without buying it.

Maybe we should start a campaign to promote piracy of releases by mainstream bands. Maybe they'll lose so much money that they'll stop spewing out the bile, and MTV and radio will have no choice but to play the good stuff!:devil: :devil: :devil:

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
The only reason I downloaded the entire Odyssey before it came out is because I had been waiting for 2 years for a new album from Symphony X, and I wanted to hear the new material badly.

Well, it's nice that you RESPECT SyX. That was the most worst explanation ever. But it's nice to know someone is even more worthless than me.