The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

unknown said:
Train of Thought? What drugs are you taking? and Metropolis Part One isn't an album, it's a song. Train of Thought was an absolute travesty except for a couple of songs. Dream Theater was going through some sort of identity crisis between 6DoIT (which was mediocre except the second disc) and Train of Thought.

If you listen to train of thought, you'll know it's good. All of the songs are great. There are fillers and there are no religous preaching, which I can't stand on Awake. II got confused on my metropolis' so yeah.

Montu Sekhmet said:
If you listen to train of thought, you'll know it's good. All of the songs are great. There are fillers and there are no religous preaching, which I can't stand on Awake. II got confused on my metropolis' so yeah.
There's no religious preaching on Awake. It's mocking religion actually. There's only one song remotely about religion that I can recall. Train of Thought is crap. It'll be a few minutes of what sounds like a song, then five minutes of irrelevant soloing tacked on the end. It doesn't even attempt to be structured. Awake is probably their least wanky album, and on SFAM it's generally kept in check by the story. The soloing is beyond excessive on ToT.

swizzlenuts said:
If you like Doom. You must check out Great Coven.

This album is fantastic. Everytime I listen to it I fall more and more in love with it. It's just a feeling like you are marching right into hell. Evil at times, where sometimes it's got a more sorrowful tone to it, then turning it into a sorrowfilled evilness. I've listened to this nonstop on campus, and I highly recommend it.

np: Great Coven - "Viaticum" - Reign Of Thorns [01:05/05:46] :kickass:
I agree :kickass:

Reactions: Susperia
MasterOLightning said:
There's no religious preaching on Awake. It's mocking religion actually. There's only one song remotely about religion that I can recall. Train of Thought is crap. It'll be a few minutes of what sounds like a song, then five minutes of irrelevant soloing tacked on the end. It doesn't even attempt to be structured. Awake is probably their least wanky album, and on SFAM it's generally kept in check by the story. The soloing is beyond excessive on ToT.

actually, I think Octavarium is their least wanky. There weren't very many solos and pretty much all of the songs (with the exception of two I think) were under ten minutes and rather well structured.

but yeah...Awake slays

has anybody listened to the Ulver/Immortal split? I can't find any info about it on M-A...the Immortal tracks don't sound like Immortal (especially the vocals!). Anybody have any info on it?

I recently sold it. It's a bootleg (obviously, the Ulver side being Vargnatt (I don't remember if there were additional tracks), and the Immortal side being an early promo from 91 I believe that they recorded while they still played Death Metal.

Yeah, a lot of those bands started out as Death Metal. Amputated, Thou Art Lord, Darkthrone, Phobia (pre-Enslaved), Mayhem, etc.

I heard Cradle of Filth was originally death metal. It's cool to start out death metal and then change.

Reactions: Carcassian