The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Those are most of the main ones, but here's more stuff which could probably be classed as such:
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus (ESSENTIAL)
Cenotaph - Riding Our Black Oceans (think ATG's "The Red in the Sky...". Gloomy Reflections... is also good but in a very different, less melodic vein)
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph (but all is worth getting to some extent, though I'm guessing you know this band already)
Decameron - My Shadow (http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=7849 - my review is the top one)
Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay (I've only listened to this once so far, but it reminded of early Aeternus crossed with "Terminal..." era ATG, with touches of Sacramentum)
Unanimated - In the Forest of Dreaming Dead (this one is probably the better of the two)
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil

You may also want to check out early Aeternus ("Beyond The Wandering Moon" and "...And So The Night Became"), though it's more in the black mould, there's elements of melodic death to it. Sacramentum's "Far Away From The Sun" applies here as well.

Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay (I've only listened to this once so far, but it reminded of early Aeternus crossed with "Terminal..." era ATG, with touches of Sacramentum)
:erk: Pretty generic mid-style Gothenburg actually... Some good songs, but really nothing special I'd say. Sounds a whole fucking lot like early In Flames (listen to the beginning of the title track and tell me that wouldn't fit RIGHT into "The Jester Race") or some more death metal-minded bands like A Canorous Quintet or Satariel (which by extension means it has a fair bit of Eucharist influence) I also wonder if I'm the only one to notice how In Flames ripped off the "Beyond the Gates of Pain" riff for some song on Clayman.

Unanimated - In the Forest of Dreaming Dead (this one is probably the better of the two)
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil
Never seen anyone prefer the first before. I have both, the first is pretty fucking uneven, with "Whispering Shadows" being probably their best song but some of the other stuff being totally generic. The second one is also pretty fucking overrated in my opinion.

Guardian of Darkness said:
lots of bands

I've heard a majority of Aeternus releases. Beyond the Wandering Moon is indeed awsome.

Sacramentum and The Chasm I've heard a lot of. The rest will be checked out in the near future.

OH
OH
OH

If you at all have any sort of interest in melodic death metal:

SENTENCED "NORTH FROM HERE"

If you've only heard newer Sentenced, disregard everything you thought you knew about them because this second album just completely kicks ass. It's like "The Red in the Sky is Ours" gone Iron Maiden... Riffs, riffs, riffs, more riffs, energetic to the point where it forces you to bang your head as if up from the dead. Download the tracks "My Sky is Darker Than Thine" and "Awaiting the Winter Frost", and if you don't like those, I have my doubts that you like heavy metal at all. Seriously, awesome stuff, get it.

Erik said:
:erk: Pretty generic mid-style Gothenburg actually... Some good songs, but really nothing special I'd say. Sounds a whole fucking lot like early In Flames (listen to the beginning of the title track and tell me that wouldn't fit RIGHT into "The Jester Race") or some more death metal-minded bands like A Canorous Quintet or Satariel (which by extension means it has a fair bit of Eucharist influence) I also wonder if I'm the only one to notice how In Flames ripped off the "Beyond the Gates of Pain" riff for some song on Clayman.

Bah, I liked it from first listen, it seemed more subtle than the great majority of Gothenburg and I definitely caught an element of Aeternus/Sacramentum in places.

Never seen anyone prefer the first before. I have both, the first is pretty fucking uneven, with "Whispering Shadows" being probably their best song but some of the other stuff being totally generic. The second one is also pretty fucking overrated in my opinion.

I agree that they're patchy, but I think they integrate their swedish narrative melodic death influence pretty darn nicely into a black metal vibe at their best, kinda like a Necrophobic focused more on melody and less on rhythm, while retaining the epic.

Decadent said:
Allow me to bring up melodic death metal if I may.

I'm realy getting into it at the moment, but all I've realy got is early At the Gates, Eucharist, Arghoslent, Necrophobic, Intestine Baalism and Serpens Aeon. Any recommendations?

Kronos

And THANK YOU SIR for using the correct term.

I hope they do. On ebay, the original CDs are on auction for a hell of a price.

I'm in an Enslaved mood. I'm going to listen to Monumension now and then Eld. After that I'm going to download Below the Lights and Isa. :D

Edgecrusher said:
Who exactly are Ghoul? I never heard exactly who they were.

(i.e. what are the real identities of the band members?)

Metal Archives said:
A secret side project of Gore band Impaled.

Well i'm gonna check them out too.. I'm gonna buy their album.

Cremator - Bass, Vocals
Digestor - Guitar, Vocals
Dissector - Guitar, Vocals
Fermentor - Drums, Vocals