The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Nile and Behemoth are more on the technical side. I tend to associate brutal death with more simplicity. I could see how it's hard to tell though. Extreme metal has gotten more extreme over the years, so what was very extreme 20 years ago is now tame.

This is evident with Suffocation, who was undoubtedly brutal death in the beginning, but is now questionably so among many listeners.

Nile and Behemoth are more on the technical side. I tend to associate brutal death with more simplicity. I could see how it's hard to tell though. Extreme metal has gotten more extreme over the years, so what was very extreme 20 years ago is now tame.

I usually use bands like Suffocation and Deeds of Flesh as vague references when dealing with brutal death. But really, I associate certain genres with a sound rather than trying to categorize it with specific details and elements.

that description is fucking useless

I just don't see the difference between the "heaviest" and "the most br00taL"

Brutal Death really is not that heavy at all in comparison to a band like Warning or other equally crushing doom acts.

I think what defines Brutal is an absolutely relentless onslaught of gutteral vocals, hyper blasts on top of more blasts, and lightning fast guitar riffs. All this stuff isn't necessarily very heavy though.

Brutal Death really is not that heavy at all in comparison to a band like Warning or other equally crushing doom acts.

I think what defines Brutal is an absolutely relentless onslaught of gutteral vocals, hyper blasts on top of more blasts, and lightning fast guitar riffs. All this stuff isn't necessarily very heavy though.

thanks for clarifying that

the problem I have with br00tal death is that most of it is not very br00tal at all. Listen to something like crowbar or even early mastodon, and it is 10x more crushing than devourment

I don't mind that this genre exists, I just wish it wouldn't be so damn popular, modern death metal is being strangled by all of these bands who have nothing to offer and just regurgitate the same shit with even worse songwriting. The good stuff is still out there though, you just have to go through alot of shit to find it (bands like augury, lykathea aflame, nile, deteriorot, etc...)

Motherfuck... I just gave myself a brutal death metal education. I've listened to some of it, but never really caught on until now. It feels like I've been nailed to the wall and had my face ripped off and dammit I want MORE!!!

(Nile, Behemoth, and Glass Casket were the choice bands, btw)
If you liked those bands real brutal death is even better

I think what defines Brutal is an absolutely relentless onslaught of guttUral vocals, hyper blasts on top of more blasts, and lightning fast guitar riffs. All this stuff isn't necessarily very heavy though.
This is pretty much true except that Brutal death can be slow and simplistic ala Devourment. As for heaviness vs. brutality, I believe I explained my viewpoint in another thread, but they are two different (albeit related) things.

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter are pretty cool. I think I downloaded them expecting viking/folk metal, but they're now in my top Death Metal folder. Been a while since I've heard DM I wanted to listen to a lot, like Vehemence or Amorphis.

Not sure if all the Arcturus fans know but apparently they have called it a day and I am curious what you more die hard fans think. I have only heard the sham mirrors and sideshow symphonies and enjoyed both. If it's true I would rather see a band throw in the towel rather than pull a metallica and slayer. Arcturus have been around for a bit and have a good ammount of releases so it's probably for the better.

Mefisto - The Truth.

This compilation of the Swedish band's two demos from 1986 should be fucking LEGENDARY by now. Absolutely awesome Black/Speed/Thrash Metal like no other band I've ever heard before. Fans of 80s extreme metal owe it to themselves to track this down.

FINALLY

Evocation
New Album!
As you all know, we're releasing a new album the 27th of April, entitled "Tales from the Tomb".
The album will contain intro, 9 brand new death tracks, 1 cover and 1 remake of an old Evocation song.
The coverart is made by none less then Dan "the man" Seagrave.
There's also a guest appearence by Gustav Jorde, ex-Defleshed.

I just came.